Dinning times Coral in Alaska Northbound

lazycruzer

We currently hold confirmed early traditional dinning. Have read a few threads that early dinning in Alaska is not 5:45 PM as stated on confirmation, something like 5:15 PM. Is this really happening? Can someone on recent Coral sailing provide information. Thinking of changing to Anytime if it really is 5:15.

TIA

If your traditional dining is assigned in the anytime dining room,it will be earlier. I would tell Princess that you do not want to be in the anytime dining room

Also i had the worst service ever in 20 cruises on the Star when assigned to the Anytime Dining room. They really have no incentive to serve you quickly as there is no late seating putting pressure on them. Yes,we did complain to the head waiter. There was no improvement.

There are only two dining rooms on the Coral, not two Anytime and one Traditional, so the information above referring to the Star is not applicable.

Yes, it's very likely that your dining time will be 5.15. Historically, the Coral has always had earlier times for traditional seatings, regardless of itinerary. For example, late seating is nearly always 8 or 8.15 on the rest of the fleet, but on my Panama cruise on the Coral, it was at 7.45. Early was similarly pushed back about 30 minutes. So, if 5.15 is too early for you, then you probably do want to switch over to either late seating or to anytime.

Enjoy your cruise -- she's a fantastic ship, despite the Del Boca Vista dining hours!

Yikes. 5:15 sounds too early. We are traveling with another couple, so will check with them and then decide. We usually prefer to have a cocktail around 5:30 then go to dinner on land with our friends. This earlier time seems really rushed. :(

We are platinum, but first Princess cruise for friends. Really hoping that they will enjoy Princess as much as we do. Trying to make sure they are comfortable and will sail on Princess again.:)

Edited by lazycruzer

• 2 weeks later...

I have further questions since my family and I have a 5:45 dining time on our cruise in 2 weeks on the Coral Princess.

What happens if you do not want to each at your reserved time on a particular night? Let's say you are in port and want to eat somewhere else. Do you just cancel your reservation? Someone from Princess told me that if you don't use your reserved time twice you more or less lose your spot. Does that sound accurate, even if you give them advance notice?

Also, how do you find out what nights are the formal nights?

Many thanks!

I have further questions since my family and I have a 5:45 dining time on our cruise in 2 weeks on the Coral Princess.

What happens if you do not want to each at your reserved time on a particular night? Let's say you are in port and want to eat somewhere else. Do you just cancel your reservation? Someone from Princess told me that if you don't use your reserved time twice you more or less lose your spot. Does that sound accurate, even if you give them advance notice?

Many thanks!

The formal nights are on the evenings of sea days. If you are northbound the formal nights are the evening of the first full day at sea and the evening of the day in Glacier Bay. As far as losing your dining spot I am not sure but I doubt that it would be an issue since the Alaska itinerary has such late stays in most of the ports.

Many thanks!

You would probably be better to switch to anytime dining.

What happens if you do not want to each at your reserved time on a particular night? Let's say you are in port and want to eat somewhere else. Do you just cancel your reservation? If you know (or even think) you might not make it to dinner, it is polite to let your waitstaff (or others dining at your table) know the evening before. That way they will not be waiting for you to show up before starting the dinner. If the ship will be in port into the dinner hour, it is likely that your traditional dining room that evening will be open seating anytime. If this will be happening, your waitstaff will probably tell you and the information will be in that day's Patter.

Someone from Princess told me that if you don't use your reserved time twice you more or less lose your spot. Does that sound accurate, even if you give them advance notice? Not accurate at all, but it is best to let them know in advance if you will not be dining there on an evening.

Also, how do you find out what nights are the formal nights? It will be on the second page of your embarkation day Patter.

Many thanks!

see above in red