Free Sushi/Sashimi on Infinity?

boltnut55

We were on the Infinity about 10 years ago, and we'll be on again in less than a month. One of the memorable "activities" we did was having sushi and sashimi during 3:00 - 6:00 p.m. every day. I remember it being outdoors, maybe outside the buffet. Do they still have this?

Thanks.

Unfortunately you can not get Sashimi (even when removing the rice) as normally they don't serve "real" raw fish there, e.g. the tuna is cooked.

The only place on X Ships I got real raw sashimi (or sushi with raw fish) was Qsine and Silk Harvest.

To be honest, the sushi buffet is more like those pre-packed sushi you can buy in supermarkets and is good to eat within some days... real sushi/sashimi is supposed to be eaten same day (as it is raw).

It's okay, but everyone used to good sushi will be disappointed.

Edited by UniPac

Unfortunately you can not get Sashimi (even when removing the rice) as normally they don't serve "real" raw fish there, e.g. the tuna is cooked.

The only place on X Ships I got real raw sashimi (or sushi with raw fish) was Qsine and Silk Harvest.

To be honest, the sushi buffet is more like those pre-packed sushi you can buy in supermarkets and is good to eat within some days... real sushi/sashimi is supposed to be eaten same day (as it is raw).

It's okay, but everyone used to good sushi will be disappointed.

We have seen a variety of sushi on various ships, including "raw fish" sushi. I have never seen cooked tuna used in sushi on a celebrity ship. Sushi AND sashimi ingredients include both raw and cooked items. Squid, Octopus, eel, most shrimp and some others are almost always cooked and of course there are the various raw seafood items. FYI, almost all raw/fresh fish used in sushi is and should be flash frozen before serving...for safety (that's why it's important to buy "sushi grade" raw fish when making sushi. (google sushi safety if you don't believe me). I've eaten truly raw (still shaking) fish, but I know the risk I'm taking. Never eat a fresh water fish raw...that's a recipe for some really nasty maladies. That includes raw salmon. Finally, since this is becoming a treatise on sushi, I suggest you avoid "white tuna" or "butterfish" which is really escolar which is widely served in the US and BANNED in Japan and Italy...(another google exercise if you want to know why).

We found the silk harvest sushi just terrible, in fact we left after the sushi appetizer. We do enjoy the sushi lollypops in Qsine...fun to eat that way.

Since I'm on the topic...the sushi rice on Celebrity ships is not cooked well, nor is it flavored (mirin, vinegar)...the nori isn't toasted, in fact they seem to make many of the rolls early in the day so the nori is soggy when served..(that was part of the silk harvest problem...the sushi was soggy and the rice was dried out on the ends of the maki roll pieces).

So..some pluses and minus. We enjoy sushi...I make sushi/sashimi/maki rolls at home and I've eaten it in Japan and around the world. Although the sushi on the Celebrity ships has it's failings, it's still very refreshing and more nights than not, I'll enjoy some (free) sushi as a late afternoon snack.

BTW..their miso soup is pretty good...add some tofu and seaweed which are generally sitting right next to the soup.

Edited by ghstudio

I have never seen cooked tuna used in sushi on a celebrity ship.

I never had raw tuna in Oceanview I think, it was almost like the tuna salad they offer. But maybe there always was raw tuna before I went there :)

And yes I know about the flash freezing the sushi right after they catch the fish. That's one of the reasons why sushi/sashimi tuna is always much more expensive than "regular" tuna. No need to google ;)

I don't like the rice either, that's another reason I said that sushi-eaters won't like the Oceanview Sushi that much.

But yes, sometimes the sushi is good and we enjoy it - nice to have it!

To the "white tune/butterfish thing": i don't like fat fish, i want it lean and tender :D

off topic: your next cruise is what we did in march 2013 i think - is it on the Equinox?

Edited by UniPac

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just returned home yesterday evening; there is definitely sushi onboard from 5:30 - 6:30. It's right next to the Asian stir fry station. Majority of the time, there is no sashimi. It's mostly rolls. For the salmon rolls, they used smoke salmon, although one day they didn't have raw salmon. Tuna was raw, sometimes in a regular roll, sometimes in a spicy roll. There was also unagi (eel) rolls. There weren't any with the different sauces either (mayo based ones), although I'm not sure authentic that is. I like that the sauces hide the taste of the seaweed :)

If you ask nicely, the sushi chef will make you a roll with what they have. For example, one time I asked for a salmon roll with raw salmon, but he had none. Another time, I asked for an unagi roll without cucumber, and he made one for me. They will dole out small portions of sashimi at a time, but of course, it's gone in no time. Then you may have to wait a while before they will put out more. I went there about 5 times and only saw sashimi on two different days. I got the impression it was freshly made though since one person is always making and another slicing the rolls up.

I forgot to try to miso soup although several of my our friends seemed to like it.