Oasis and Allure itinerary changes - san juan and puerto costa maya

After hearing some rumours about itinerary changes and that Oasis and Allure were to call in San Juan, I had a look at the upcoming schedules:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises?shipCode_OA=true

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises?shipCode_AL=true

It appears that indeed they are doing one stop in Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico and several stops in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

So the old eastern caribbean used to be:

Ft Lauderdale - Nassau - Charlotte Amalie - Philipsburg - Ft Lauderdale

The new eastern caribbean will be:

Ft Lauderdale - Philipsburg - San Juan - Labadee - Ft Lauderdale

Didn't see any statement from Royal Caribbean but I found this:

http://www.caribbeanbusiness.pr/news/puerto-rico-to-receive-worlds-largest-cruise-ships-in-2016-107107.html

My cruise on Allure May 22, 2016 is still showing Ft Lauderdale - Nassau - Charlotte Amalie - Philipsburg - Ft Lauderdale? So do you think we are safe from the change or do you think it will change

After hearing some rumours about itinerary changes and that Oasis and Allure were to call in San Juan, I had a look at the upcoming schedules:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises?shipCode_OA=true

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises?shipCode_AL=true

It appears that indeed they are doing one stop in Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico and several stops in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

So the old eastern caribbean used to be:

Ft Lauderdale - Nassau - Charlotte Amalie - Philipsburg - Ft Lauderdale

The new eastern caribbean will be:

Ft Lauderdale - Philipsburg - San Juan - Labadee - Ft Lauderdale

Didn't see any statement from Royal Caribbean but I found this:

http://www.caribbeanbusiness.pr/news/puerto-rico-to-receive-worlds-largest-cruise-ships-in-2016-107107.html

Nice. We've always thought that the ports could be better for those ships. For the longer cruises, it would be nice for more ports and less sea days, but I suppose with these two ships, it's not so much the ports, but the ship itself that is the cruise with so much to do. However, we've been to both Costa Maya and Puerto Rico and they are both lovely. Nice change. For us anyway, St. Thomas gets old. Just our opinion, but change is good! :)

My cruise on Allure May 22, 2016 is still showing Ft Lauderdale - Nassau - Charlotte Amalie - Philipsburg - Ft Lauderdale? So do you think we are safe from the change or do you think it will change

you should be safe. if they planned to change it I assume they would have done so and announced it

Back when they announced the release of the schedule for 16-17 they indicated that there would be a second Eastern Itinerary for Oasis/Allure.

I don't recall following up to see the details but this sounds like it. I would say it is a planned itinerary rather than a change though so I would expect if your itinerary is the old eastern that it wont be randomly changed (unless the new itinerary is wildly popular/cheaper for RCI)

These were introduced during the deployment announcements in March/April. They will be staring in the summer of 2016. It is not technically an itinerary change, but an added itinerary. They aren't changing all Eastern itineraries, as they are still doing the Nassau-St. Thomas-St. Maarten itinerary, and they also added a Nassau-St. Thomas-St. Kitts itinerary, along with the Labadee-San Juan-St. Maarten itinerary.

The Costa Maya calls on the Western itinerary are rarer.

So these 3 new itineraries will rotate every 3rd week with a regular western in between each.

I wonder if Harmony will take on these schedules also. I love Costa Maya and Labadee. It would be so nice if we got to take at least one of these itineraries on our Dec. '16 b2b on her.

If your Harmony bookings don't list either of these itineraries, than you're most likely not going to see them. From what I recall, Harmony will not be doing any of these itineraries. And also, like I said in my last post, they are not itinerary changes. The Oasis and Allure have been scheduled for these itineraries since they because available for booking back in March/April.

It's a shame they couldn't do better than 7:00 AM to 2:00 PM on San Juan on the 7-nighters. It's pretty much a wasted stop IMO. They should have reversed the itinerary - stop in Labadee first, then on to San Juan and St. Maarten. You would then get a 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM +/- in stop in San Juan instead of 7:00 to 2:00. Old San Juan has a vibrant night life.

Edited by The Grumpus

Had changes to RCL itinerary lots of times and RCL doesn't call, email or announce it. It is a Surprise!!:)

I have heard the same complaint from others too, I have always been notified of any change, even if it is just a change of port times. I never understood why some are contacted and others are not.

Edited by dacsmom

Oh brother, now Labadee has been added to the eastern itinerary for these ships too.:rolleyes::(

I am happy that San Juan and Labadee are on some of the same itineraries. Labadee and CoCo cay are two of my favorite stops and there is less of a chance of missing Labadee due to rough seas.

It's a shame they couldn't do better than 7:00 AM to 2:00 PM on San Juan on the 7-nighters. It's pretty much a wasted stop IMO. They should have reversed the itinerary - stop in Labadee first, then on to San Juan and St. Maarten. You would then get a 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM +/- in stop in San Juan instead of 7:00 to 2:00. Old San Juan has a vibrant night life.

I think this is purely logistics. You need two sea days on a 7-night Eastern in order to get from your furthest point back to FLL, and you either put them at the front end, or the back end. If you did Labadee first, you'd need an 8-night cruise to get back to FLL because you chew up two sea days getting to the furthest point, and only one sea day to get back.

Edited by orville99

I think this is purely logistics. You need two sea days on a 7-night Eastern in order to get from your furthest point back to FLL, and you either put them at the front end, or the back end. If you did Labadee first, you'd need an 8-night cruise to get back to FLL because you chew up two sea days getting to the furthest point, and only one sea day to get back.

Why would you need an 8-night itinerary? This seems to be completely doable as a 7-night itinerary:

Day 1 Fort Lauderdale, Florida 5:30 PM

Day 2 Cruising Cruising

Day 3 Labadee, Haiti 7:00 AM 3:00 PM Docked

Day 4 San Juan, Puerto Rico 2:00 PM 10:00 PM Docked

Day 5 Philipsburg, St. Maarten 9:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

Day 6 Cruising Cruising

Day 7 Cruising Cruising

Day 8 Fort Lauderdale, Florida 5:30 AM

I think it's more because a late night stop in San Juan would cut way too much into the passenger on-board spending.;)

Why would you need an 8-night itinerary? This seems to be completely doable as a 7-night itinerary:

Day 2 Cruising Cruising

Day 6 Cruising Cruising

Day 7 Cruising Cruising

I think it's more because a late night stop in San Juan would cut way too much into the passenger on-board spending.;)

Because you need a day at sea to get from Labadee to San Juan, since the transit is more than 600 NM, and at 22 knots, that would take ~28 hours to complete..

Edited by orville99

Because you need a day at sea to get from Labadee to San Juan, since the transit is more than 600 NM, and at 22 knots, that would take ~28 hours to complete..
I think your figures may be off, Navigator does it dock to dock in 23-hours: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/8NightEasternCaribbeanCruise-NV08E042?currencyCode=USD&sCruiseType=CO&sDateMin=2016-03-01&sDateMax=2016-03-31&sailDate=03%2F05%2F2016 Edited by The Grumpus
Not 11, 23.

Day 2 Cruising Cruising

Day 6 Cruising Cruising

Day 7 Cruising Cruising

This itinerary would definitely work, don't know why they're doing it in the opposite order...

Navigator is doing a one-off 7 Night itinerary on Nov 27, 2016, calling at these exact ports in the same order (only difference is that she will be departing from Miami, but I don't think that makes much of a difference.)

Here is the exact itinerary...

Miami - Depart 4pm

At Sea

Labadee - Arrive 8am, Depart 4:30pm

San Juan - Arrive 2pm, Depart 10pm

St. Maarten - Arrive 9am, Depart 5pm

At Sea

At Sea

Miami - Arrive 7am

I am happy that San Juan and Labadee are on some of the same itineraries. Labadee and CoCo cay are two of my favorite stops and there is less of a chance of missing Labadee due to rough seas.

I'm happy that you are happy.

Not knowing what Nav's top cruising speed is relative to Oasis (I presume NAV is faster), and making the decision to arrive in San Juan in the morning rather than mid afternoon all factor into the logistics question. And, the difference in getting back to Miami (60 miles south of FLL) 1.5 hours later in the morning (a 4+ hour cruising difference) also factors in to the equation. Could they do it if they put the pedal down and rolled in in the afternoon, sure. But why do that when the route they mapped out gives them so much more flexibility.

What do you suggest at night in San Juan? We're on a 7-nighter in October and are in port from 4:00-11:00. Never been there that late before.

What do you suggest at night in San Juan? We're on a 7-nighter in October and are in port from 4:00-11:00. Never been there that late before.

I'd have dinner at a nice restaurant in OSJ. We've had many fine dinners at a place called Raices.