Bar gratuity

ttrmom

we got the ultimate beverage package as part of the booking deals.. According to that- the 18% gratuity is already added in and paid for. When I order a drink at the bar- will there be another gratuity added?

thanks

Mikki

we got the ultimate beverage package as part of the booking deals.. According to that- the 18% gratuity is already added in and paid for. When I order a drink at the bar- will there be another gratuity added?

thanks

Mikki

No, it's entirely up to you whether you want to throw a buck or a euro in cash at the bartender or not. He will share somehow in the 18% service charge added to the UBP.

thanks

Mikki

You're paid in full. No additional $$ is required unless you choose to do so.

Is my calculator telling me porkies! Isn't 18% of 54 $9.72. So 63.72. I was rounding up ;-)

Sorry, I edited my post. I had two tabs open and I accidentally quoted you while responding to another thread. I shouldn't post before I have my morning coffee. :D

Sorry, I edited my post. I had two tabs open and I accidentally quoted you while responding to another thread. I shouldn't post before I have my morning coffee. :D

ah see I'm ok here, it's gone lunchtime so had plenty of time to wake up :D

You certainly don't have to. We usually tip more only when we have stayed at a bar for a while on the last round. It also means you get served double quick next time you see that bar person.

I wonder with these drinks packages handed out free as a promotion whether the staff actually still get the 18% amount added to the pot?

I wonder with these drinks packages handed out free as a promotion whether the staff actually still get the 18% amount added to the pot?

Where else would it go? Even so, it's an NCL payroll issue not a passenger issue since we paid our 18%.

Where else would it go? Even so, it's an NCL payroll issue not a passenger issue since we paid our 18%.

It's not a question of where else it would go is it? If NCL have provided the UBP free (as they have been almost continually for months as part of the Freestyle Choice promo) there is no actual amount paid by the customer and therefore no gratuity to add to that zero amount.

On land, I tip about $1 per drink, if I go to the bar and get it myself. If we have tableservice, then we tip 20%...just like at a restaurant....

Considering that most of the time, you will have to go to the bar to get your own drink, 18% is generous!

It's not a question of where else it would go is it? If NCL have provided the UBP free (as they have been almost continually for months as part of the Freestyle Choice promo) there is no actual amount paid by the customer and therefore no gratuity to add to that zero amount.

Not so, we just booked a cruise on the Star and we received the UBP as our choice on the promo. Consequently, we will pay the 18% grats on the value of the UBP, not what we drink. I doubt if we will drink enough to equal the so called value of the promo.

Was on the Dawn a couple of weeks ago. My understanding from several servers, that I spoke with that they weren't getting the 18%, or anything from the UDP or UBP. They also said that they all HATE the UDP and UBP. Take it for what it is worth, they could be fishing. Even when I wrote in a tip, they said they weren't getting it back from NCL. I just tipped cash. Service got tremendously better.

Was on the Dawn a couple of weeks ago. My understanding from several servers, that I spoke with that they weren't getting the 18%, or anything from the UDP or UBP. They also said that they all HATE the UDP and UBP. Take it for what it is worth, they could be fishing. Even when I wrote in a tip, they said they weren't getting it back from NCL. I just tipped cash. Service got tremendously better.

They should be fired because they are forbidden from discussing anything about their pay with passengers. Besides, do you seriously think they are going to look at Mr. Moneybags cruise passenger in front of them, who could potentially leave a tip, and say, "I get paid more than enough, sir!" Gimme a break. No one is this gullible to fall for that - or so I thought until I read your post.

Edited by LrgPizza

Several servers spoke to you about their wages? May I ask who initiated those conversations? That just seems odd.

I just came back from a cruise recently, without having the UBP, and there were a couple of the barstaff that I on some occasions wanted to tip more than the usual 18%, especially because I often just drank "cheap" drinks like soda or special coffee's. I therefore asked what would happen to any tip that I added extra on the slip, if that went in to the "pool" or directly to the waiter - hoping that the answer would be that it went directly to the waiter. I was then told (by the waiter himself) that the autogratuity of 18% went in to the pool and was shared between all barwaiters, but any extra tip added on the slip when I signed, would go to the waiter who's name was on the top of the slip, in this case himself. And that sounds both logic and fair to me....