Problem with Roll Call

I'm hoping someone can help me with the roll call listings. It appears to me that there is a problem with the dates for a couple cruises.

We're going on the 7-day Western Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam departing on Nov. 15, 2015. However, when you go into that roll call, the discussion is about the Trans-Atlantic cruise out of Rome which is the previous voyage. Am I missing something?

We've really enjoyed the pre-cruise roll call threads, and the meet & greets, so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. :)

Your not very active roll call is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2220785

I am not seeing the problems you state. Perhaps whomever started the roll call you are referring to is doing a B2B, transatlantic and then 7 days in the Caribbean.

I have no idea how you found that link, but thank you! I suspect it's not very active because it's a different roll call if you go here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/nieuw-amsterdam-november-15-2015/

I have no idea how you found that link, but thank you! I suspect it's not very active because it's a different roll call if you go here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/nieuw-amsterdam-november-15-2015/

From any HAL thread you can get to the Roll Calls by clicking on the link towards the top of the page:

cruiselineStar20121001.pngNEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Or from the main CC Message Boards page:

forum_new.gifclear.gifROLL CALLS

Edited by Boytjie

With people doing so many back-to-back cruises, and HAL setting up so many Collector's Cruises (some of which overlap), it can be extremely difficult to keep the roll calls straight these days.

Some people want to keep the roll calls for their combined cruises together, and not bother to go to separate roll calls. But that makes it very confusing for those who are on only one of the cruises.

The advisory in the Roll Call forum is that separate cruises should have separate roll calls, but, unfortunately, that isn't always followed by those starting the threads.

With people doing so many back-to-back cruises, and HAL setting up so many Collector's Cruises (some of which overlap), it can be extremely difficult to keep the roll calls straight these days.

Some people want to keep the roll calls for their combined cruises together, and not bother to go to separate roll calls. But that makes it very confusing for those who are on only one of the cruises.

The advisory in the Roll Call forum is that separate cruises should have separate roll calls, but, unfortunately, that isn't always followed by those starting the threads.

It seems that the HAL roll calls are much less active these days, compared to a few years ago, and I think that a large part of that is, as you point out, people combining b2b and collector cruise into single roll calls.

For our September Canada/NE cruise, we are booked for the Boston - Montreal leg only, but the roll call is for the combined Boston - Montreal - Boston b2b. I haven't bothered logging in, as there are only 3 participant so far: 1 Boston - Montreal; 1 Montreal - Boston; and one b2b.

Ruth, the problem the OP is having is a CC problem, not due to the logistics of HAL's overlapping Collector's Cruises or someone mislabeling a Roll Call thread they started. The "Roll Call" she found is labeled for the 15 November Caribbean cruise, but the posts shown are for the trans-Atlantic. It also isn't the standard Roll Call forum. It is something 'extra' :rolleyes: the CC has in addition to the Roll Call forum. When using the CC Roll Call search tool both types of Roll Calls come up. I don't know the reason behind this 'extra' CC Roll Call area, but I gave up trying to find logic/reason in CC decisions ages ago. ;)

For the OP I suggest looking for your Roll Call under the Nieuw Amsterdam area of the HAL Roll Call forum and forget about the other one.

I didn't know about the "extra" roll call forum :rolleyes:, so thanks for that info.

I also remembered (later, after I posted), that originally the Nieuw Amsterdam was supposed to reposition to the Caribbean earlier, but some Europe cruises were added, delaying the Caribbean season. There were roll calls for those earlier dates (although I thought they had been locked).

I wouldn't call this 'extra' area a forum. It looks nothing like this or any other forum here. It looks more like the cruise review pages. The 'posts' are just copies of those from the regular Roll Calls. I don't see any reason for the redundancy which can result in confusion, but I'm not one of TPTB here. :cool:

Thanks so much to everyone! Seriously, it's really nice to see that there's some confusion / mislabeling, rather than me being a little slow. ;)

I do agree that it would be great if the roll calls were a bit more streamlined because it's fun to see people from the boards in real life. This is only my third HAL cruise, but both of the other times I've met great people at the Meet & Greets.

Yes, there is a SEPARATE roll call with just the date Nov. 15th. :) I posted on that roll call, but there is only me listed there and 2 others. It is just for the 7-day Western Caribbean cruise.

Cindy