New Dress Code Names/Descriptions

InTheWASide

So does this mean men can wear a dress shirt, tie and slacks without a suit jacket on "gala" nights?

The way I read it, I'd say Yes.....

Why not print it out and put it in your gentlemen's pocket if he is questioned at the door. :)

Maybe I'm missing something here (wouldn't be the first time :o) but I have a hard time coming to that interpretation.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. Jacket and tie are appropriate for gentlemen...

Of course, it does say that jackets are "appropriate", not mandatory, so I guess your interpretation is legit, even though I doubt that was HAL's intention.

Exactly," appropriate" is a far way from "required." We have read way enough posts on this and other forums regarding dress code to know that it is likely a great many people are now done with jackets/ties/gowns/formal wear.

It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong but it seems to be HAL has conceded to the requests of many and in line with most other cruise lines. No more formal. Or.... at most, formal optional.

>Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, .... Jacket and tie are appropriate for gentlemen,... <

Should that be a black tie or a white tie?

Ira

Exactly," appropriate" is a far way from "required." We have read way enough posts on this and other forums regarding dress code to know that it is likely a great many people are now done with jackets/ties/gowns/formal wear.

It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong but it seems to be HAL has conceded to the requests of many and in line with most other cruise lines. No more formal. Or.... at most, formal optional.

If you are correct in thinking that is the direction HAL is moving, then I must wonder if buying a new tux would be a waste of money, unless I do more cruising on Cunard.

I wouldn't begin to tell anyone what to wear but I also would not be sending any gents out to buy a new tux if their plan is to only (or mostly) wear it for HAL cruises.

JMO......

What if it's a hilariously long set up? They put "appropriate attire" verbiage on the website... perhaps even in the Know Before You Go, eventually. People read about the "appropriate attire." Some interpret it to mean that they've relaxed the dress code. These people plan to dress down.

Other people figure the website writer got hold of a thesaurus and thought, "Hey, I can punch things up a bit." Formal became Gala. Required became Appropriate. Those people pack for the old dress code, assuming it hasn't changed.

There's a third group of people who simply never read anything. We'll leave them out of this discussion.

So, our first and second group are on the ship and headed down to formal night. (The third group got left behind in port when all aboard was at 3:30.)

Everyone in the first and second groups arrives at the door to the dining room. The entrance looks lovely. The ship's florists have gone all out. The staff looks snappy in their dress uniforms.

Beside door is a sign welcoming the guests. It says, "Welcome to the Captain's Gala!"

. . . "Appropriate attire required."

Edited by POA1

What if it's a hilariously long set up? They put "appropriate attire" verbiage on the website... perhaps even in the Know Before You Go, eventually. People read about the "appropriate attire." Some interpret it to mean that they've relaxed the dress code. These people plan to dress down.

Other people figure the website writer got hold of a thesaurus and thought, "Hey, I can punch things up a bit." Formal became Gala. Required became Appropriate. Those people pack for the old dress code, assuming it hasn't changed.

There's a third group of people who simply never read anything. We'll leave them out of this discussion.

So, our first and second group are on the ship and headed down to formal night. (The third group got left behind in port when all aboard was at 3:30.)

Everyone in the first and second groups arrives at the door to the dining room. The entrance looks lovely. The ship's florists have gone all out. The staff looks snappy in their dress uniforms.

Beside door is a sign welcoming the guests. It says, "Welcome to the Captain's Gala!"

. . . "Appropriate attire required."

This begs the question........ (You had to know at least one of us could not resist. :D)

What will Mr/Ms POA be wearing to Captain's Gala? :D

So guys, will anybody be bothering with a tux anymore? I guess I need to buy a "gown", too. Good grief.

DH will be wearing his tux - he absolutely loves it and his alter-ego, James Bond's much older brother - comes out. LOL Even though he doesn't cruise often, our son-in-law bought a tux a few years ago, just so he would have one when he does. Yes, the men in my life may be in the minority in their tuxedos on "Gala" nights, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

DH will be wearing his tux - he absolutely loves it and his alter-ego, James Bond's much older brother - comes out. LOL Even though he doesn't cruise often, our son-in-law bought a tux a few years ago, just so he would have one when he does. Yes, the men in my life may be in the minority in their tuxedos on "Gala" nights, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

If he's 007's much older brother, you must be "M's" much younger sister :cool:

This begs the question........ (You had to know at least one of us could not resist. :D)

What will Mr/Ms POA be wearing to Captain's Gala? :D

Tuxedo for me. DW will rotate between dresses and gowns, usually in a 3 to 1 ratio. Since we already have this stuff in our closets, we're all about reducing the "cost per wearing." The more we wear something, the better value our purchase was. ;)

Seems to me that the substitution of "appropriate" for "required" gets HAL out of the enforcement business. It lets people do what they want, but sets a standard for what's appropriate. People who don't follow that can choose to be inappropriate. If they don't care what other people think of them, it's their choice. But people who are appropriately dressed would be justified in thinking less of those who are not. Social pressure is much more effective than rule enforcement.

I think that the jacket and tie phrasing is good. Many men wear sports jackets but no ties, or shirts and ties with no jacket. They are no longer requiring tuxes or suits but they are also making clear that jackets or ties without the other are not appropriate.

(said by someone who owns a tux, a black suit, several other business suits, and also a number of sports jackets)