New Dress Code Names/Descriptions

InTheWASide

Well Ruth, I'm going to be a rebel - as I am sure you will be - by wearing a dress nearly every evening in the dining room. If, as POA1 says, they will cut it in half and make a matching skirt and top out of it, I figure I'm ahead of the game, as I'll end up with more clothing than I started with! If I pack right, I should be able to mix and match, creating even more outfits out of the those pieces. LOL

Ah, you just have to smile and shake your head. . . .

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

So much for being "comfortable". :rolleyes:

Notice how there was no attempt to describe what's appropriate for women on Gala Night on Grand Voyages?

Gala is usually a notch up from regular formal. Either they're going in a more formal direction, or the same person who came up with "Tropical Casual" is just making crap up again. Either that, or they're trying to get guys into full evening dress and ladies into gowns.

Here are some of the Top 10 results for "How to dress for a gala."

http://m.wikihow.com/Dress-for-a-Gala

http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/woman-dress-gala-27228.html

http://classroom.synonym.com/proper-dress-gala-20198.html

http://www.howtodressforaparty.com/how-to-dress-for-a-gala.html

Maybe it's just atrociously bad copy writing, but you can't just make up new definitions for words, and change definitions on the fly. At a minimum, they should call it, "Holland America Gala Dress Code - It's like you work at Best Buy, but with a Blazer." Or maybe, "Just Because We Call It Gala, Don't Expect It To Be Like Any Gala Anywhere Else." Also, "Don't Look Up Gala. Ours Ain't Nothing Like That."

Or my personal favorite, "HAL-a: Please Wear Long Pants."

Edited by POA1

Gala is usually a notch up from regular formal. Either they're going in a more formal direction, or the same person who came up with "Tropical Casual" is just making crap up again. Either that, or they're trying to get guys into full evening dress and ladies into gowns.

Here are some of the Top 10 results for "How to dress for a gala."

http://m.wikihow.com/Dress-for-a-Gala

http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/woman-dress-gala-27228.html

http://classroom.synonym.com/proper-dress-gala-20198.html

http://www.howtodressforaparty.com/how-to-dress-for-a-gala.html

Maybe it's just atrociously bad copy writing, but you can't just make up new definitions for words, and change definitions on the fly. At a minimum, they should call it, "Holland America Gala Dress Code - It's like you work at Best Buy, but with a Blazer." Or maybe, "Just Because We Call It Gala, Don't Expect It To Be Like Any Gala Anywhere Else." Also, "Don't Look Up Gala. Ours Ain't Nothing Like That."

Or my personal favorite, "HAL-a: Please Wear Long Pants."

:D Once again,,,,, absolutely brilliant.

Love it. :)

Maybe the gentleman that answered Nanner's letter about sandals at the Mariner's luncheon (thread above) could read the Gala regulations since only flip flops are discouraged and not sandals - LOL.

It would be nice if HAL would get their Know Before You Go up to snuff, since it is still referring to Formal Nights and not the Gala. Sheesh!

Maybe the gentleman that answered Nanner's letter about sandals at the Mariner's luncheon (thread above) could read the Gala regulations since only flip flops are discouraged and not sandals - LOL.

It would be nice if HAL would get their Know Before You Go up to snuff, since it is still referring to Formal Nights and not the Gala. Sheesh!

It's in the FAQs for booked guests. That's where I found it.

However I agree with POA1. HAL needs to look up the definition of Gala.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

It's in the FAQs for booked guests. That's where I found it.

However I agree with POA1. HAL needs to look up the definition of Gala.

Terri

Oh I agree it's in the FAQ's, but the 20+ page "Know Before You Go" (the one in pdf) still had the terms formal and not gala when I looked again.

Why I said it would be nice if HAL was consistent.

Agree with both of you. HAL does need to look up the term and possibly find a more appropriate one.

I'm a little concerned that both the old and new versions of the new versions of the dress code (Web & Know Before You Go) say "sports shirt." They mean collared shirt. What's to stop someone from showing up in a tank top with a logo and a 34 on it and saying, "This is a sports shirt. The sport is basketball."

Also, why are men supposed to wear a sports shirt OR sweater? What if you have an itchy wool sweater and you're cruise is in a colder climate? Not being able to wear a shirt AND a sweater could result in nipple chafing and general discomfort.

[/b]

I have a nice new Madras cummerbund and tie set. Its going to Alaska in September in addition to white dinner jacket. So maybe the tux will stay at home, but I will still have fun with the Madras. :)

Dennis

Also, why are men supposed to wear a sports shirt OR sweater? What if you have an itchy wool sweater and you're cruise is in a colder climate? Not being able to wear a shirt AND a sweater could result in nipple chafing and general discomfort.

I think you will find these to be of great help to you, particularly if it is meat-locker cold in the dining room on Gala Night . . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Breast-Petals-Nipple-Covers-Smooth/dp/B00319C46A

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

Well Ruth, I'm going to be a rebel - as I am sure you will be - by wearing a dress nearly every evening in the dining room.

Right you are, Gerry. Every night.

I may leave the long gown at home (pity, though. it's so pretty), and just bring shorter cocktail dresses for the Gala nights. Still thinking about that one.

I'm a little concerned that both the old and new versions of the new versions of the dress code (Web & Know Before You Go) say "sports shirt." They mean collared shirt. What's to stop someone from showing up in a tank top with a logo and a 34 on it and saying, "This is a sports shirt. The sport is basketball."

Where is that dam like button :D LOL:p:D

Don't ever let it be said that you are not a helpful person!

That's just what Canadians do. I'm sorry if I offended you. We also apologize a lot. LOL

Gerry

That's just what Canadians do. I'm sorry if I offended you. We also apologize a lot. LOL

Gerry

I wasn't offended in the least.

I'm going to have to change packing plans. We have always rented a tux for DH for the formal nights, and liked having the extra space in our luggage. I fear now he'd be overdressed in a tux. Since we cruise more now, he's gotten a bit of an anti-tux attitude. He really hates ties, all ties. I don't know about cramming in a jacket for him.

I have taken to wearing sparkly tops and palazzo pants, which don't appear to meet the new "gala" dress code for women, either.

So guys, will anybody be bothering with a tux anymore? I guess I need to buy a "gown", too. Good grief.

Edited by Nanner

So guys, will anybody be bothering with a tux anymore? I guess I need to buy a "gown", too. Good grief.

I will. I bought a tuxedo about 12 years ago, and every time I wear it, it reduces my cost per wearing. When you factor in rental costs, I'm basically making money every time I don a wing collar shirt and tie up my bow tie.

I will. I bought a tuxedo about 12 years ago, and every time I wear it, it reduces my cost per wearing. When you factor in rental costs, I'm basically making money every time I don a wing collar shirt and tie up my bow tie.

I will be wearing my tux as well. In fact, I went shopping yesterday for a new tux. While my present tux still fits, sort of, several years of being exposed to salt air seems to have caused a bit of shrinkage.;);)

I am going to buy a couple of new non-wing collar formal shirts, though.

So does this mean men can wear a dress shirt, tie and slacks without a suit jacket on "gala" nights?

The way I read it, I'd say Yes.....

Why not print it out and put it in your gentlemen's pocket if he is questioned at the door. :)

I'm going to have to change packing plans. We have always rented a tux for DH for the formal nights, and liked having the extra space in our luggage. I fear now he'd be overdressed in a tux. Since we cruise more now, he's gotten a bit of an anti-tux attitude. He really hates ties, all ties. I don't know about cramming in a jacket for him.

I have taken to wearing sparkly tops and palazzo pants, which don't appear to meet the new "gala" dress code for women, either.

Why not have DH wear his sport jacket on the plane and when he boards. You won't have to squeeze it into the suitcase.

I know I'm done with gowns and have been wearing mostly knee length cocktail dresses or even evening pants and tops. :eek: I'm ready to 'ditch' the gowns entirely.