Carnivals staggered check in

1city@atime

I just received an email that carnival is implementing staggered check in times. This is my 4th carnival cruise and have never had this happen before. Luckily I got a time slot the first hour. I don't agree with this process. I'm paying for that first day and want to get on as soon as I can to begin my vacation. I would be very upset if I had a late check in time. Any opinions or experiences?

It's a suggestion. Unless there's a specific reason, arrive when you want.

Only once was the email correct. We were on the first LA cruise of the Imagination.

It's meaningless. Depending on whether people are arriving by plane, car, shuttle, the day of or the day before, and what they have planned for the morning of the cruise day -- all of these factors come into play and there's no way Carnival could easily enforce a schedule beyond the starting and ending time for embarkation. I always ignore their emails and phone messages about when to arrive unless there's some major issue causing a delay.

It is an interesting, yet subtle attempt to enhance the embarkation process. We along with most here, arrive early to board as soon as possible to enjoy our cruise vacation as much as possible.

What Carnival is attempting here is a normalization to one of the two least "fun" aspects of a Carnival cruise (the other being debarkation). Obviously, the attempt is to rid the boarding area of the hoards waiting to get on the ship. Most other cruise lines have been successful in staggering boarding times. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

Not even everyone on the same sailing get the email. I rarely do, but ignore it when I do.

I always get to any embarkation pier by 10:30 and boarding usually begins within the hour. It's rare to not be on the ship by noon.

Never received one of those emails and only arrived at a port early once (of course our first cruise). We now arrive around 1, get on the ship with no problems, our luggage 2/3 times has been there by 3, and most of the people have ate and there are no lines.

Like someone said, unless there's a specific reason given, we don't pay too much attention to it. We've had things run behind before due to fog (Galveston in February is pretty foggy.), but other than that, not an issue.

We received one, we got there at our recommended time. It was actually pretty late and no one had been allowed to board. It was similar to flying, we all had to sit and wait while they called each groups number. I think we were in group 29. This was out of Galveston in April.

You can ignore the email but no complaints if you have to wait to board for now.

I think Disney and I just read today P&O are very strict on this so I am only assuming Carnival will be too pretty soon.

But for the time being, they do not seem to be enforcing the times.

Saw this on the NCL message boards:

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/norwegian-outlines-onboard-enhancements.html

The line also has started a new staggered check-in process in hopes of streamlining the process and eliminating long lines. When guests complete the online check-in form in advance, they will be asked what time they plan to arrive for boarding.

“What this does is allows us to stagger the flow of the guests so that we can start to reduce some of the lines and make the process faster and more efficient,” said Vivian Ewart, vice president of passenger services.

Guests who show up before or after their pre-selected arrival time will have to wait until there is space for check-in. Guests who book Haven accommodations suites do not have to select a check-in time, and neither do those who book air or transfers through Norwegian.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221971

I just received an email that carnival is implementing staggered check in times. This is my 4th carnival cruise and have never had this happen before. Luckily I got a time slot the first hour. I don't agree with this process. I'm paying for that first day and want to get on as soon as I can to begin my vacation. I would be very upset if I had a late check in time. Any opinions or experiences?

Everyone in the know knows this means nothing. Luckily few read here, and the majority don't know just to go as early as possible. We, like you, enjoy bring on board by lunch, and have never had a problem doing so.

I think the staggering might be a good idea because there are many who complain about having to wait a long time to board. My disagreement is that the emails are sent to Platinum/Diamond and FTTF also.

I received an email for one of our cruises and I emailed back and asked why, as Platinum, we had to wait to board until 1:30 and the answer was that we didn't have to wait, but the letters were sent to all passengers.

I think this just makes passengers decide to ignore the emails rather than do what Carnival is trying to do. Word of mouth or word of the posts on here has people ignoring the email and doing what they want. It's another one of Carnival's "suggestions" that mean nothing.

They limit the sales of them, and routinely sell out so I doubt that is the case.

Hard to be sure they limit it to the number they say they do.

Quite a few times we are behind fttf people at guest services and wonder if they have more problems than the rest of platinums and diamonds.

Quite a few times we are behind fttf people at guest services and wonder if they have more problems than the rest of platinums and diamonds.

They do have issues...... Sometimes plats and diamonds do as well. I can only assume they limit it as that is what we have been told.

I see no reason for them to have more problems. They likely use the line more often because "they can", like it's a novelty.

I think the staggering might be a good idea because there are many who complain about having to wait a long time to board. My disagreement is that the emails are sent to Platinum/Diamond and FTTF also.

I received an email for one of our cruises and I emailed back and asked why, as Platinum, we had to wait to board until 1:30 and the answer was that we didn't have to wait, but the letters were sent to all passengers.

I think this just makes passengers decide to ignore the emails rather than do what Carnival is trying to do. Word of mouth or word of the posts on here has people ignoring the email and doing what they want. It's another one of Carnival's "suggestions" that mean nothing.

In theory, staggering is a good idea, but if you wanted to reserve a cabana (for instance) those reservations will go to those assigned early boarding. That leaves no option for someone with a later assigned time.

As a local, like you, it would be hard to get a late time and watch the clock waiting to get into the car to drive to Canaveral when it's just a short drive away.