False advertising for the Unlimited Soda and more package

thepie

Just wanted to let everyone know that if you purchase the unlimited soda and more package until the pretenses of having unlimited malts and thick milkshakes. It won't happen on the Regal princess and the Royal Princess. I purchased this package so that I could have a milkshake on the Regal. Come to find out there ice cream place is called "Swirls" only serves soft ice cream and cannot make them.. In order to get a sundae or milkshake you will need to pay for it at Gellato. I did email Princess they stated in the respectively ice cream venues "Scoops" and "Sundaes " you can get unlimited milkshakes and malts. It also has an asterisk by the Ocean and Pacific Princess that you cannot get a milkshake on those two ships. Well the Regal and Royal are not on that list. So I feel very strongly that this is false advertising.

Just wanted to let everyone know that if you purchase the unlimited soda and more package until the pretenses of having unlimited malts and thick milkshakes. It won't happen on the Regal princess and the Royal Princess. I purchased this package so that I could have a milkshake on the Regal. Come to find out there ice cream place is called "Swirls" only serves soft ice cream and cannot make them.. In order to get a sundae or milkshake you will need to pay for it at Gellato. I did email Princess they stated in the respectively ice cream venues "Scoops" and "Sundaes " you can get unlimited milkshakes and malts. It also has an asterisk by the Ocean and Pacific Princess that you cannot get a milkshake on those two ships. Well the Regal and Royal are not on that list. So I feel very strongly that this is false advertising.

Its common knowledge here that the Regal/Royal do not have milk shakes.

Once you found out did you ask for your money back?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Its common knowledge here that the Regal/Royal do not have milk shakes.

Might be common knowledge to people who spend all day in this forum but not everyone spends all day in this forum.. I didn't know the big ships didn't serve shakes..

Edited by Kenswing

Wow. Interesting information and I understand the OP's consternation about being misled. I was considering purchasing the Soda "Plus" package for my 14-day med cruise on the Emerald next week, mostly so I could get in on the milkshakes and hot chocolates. If those aren't available I may as well pick up a liter of Diet Coke before I board in Barcelona and be done with it.

Proactively going forward however, for those of you who do feel the milkshake info is "common knowledge," would you be able to post the shorter list of which Princess ships DO have the milkshakes or which DON'T? That would be helpful to a lot of people I'm sure. If I don't see it I suppose I can simply ask onboard the Emerald before I purchase it whether or not they have them and if they are included w/out strings attached.

Might be common knowledge to people who spend all day in this forum but not everyone spends all day in this forum.. I didn't know the big ships didn't serve shakes..

Has nothing to do with time spent on CC. No need to get nasty.........

Also listed on the website. If I booked a cruise I might read the rules of the package before I selected it.

Has nothing to do with being on this forum all day, as most people are not there. And everything to do with reading what you are buying. From the website itself:

† There are no milkshakes or thick shakes available for Ocean and Pacific Princess or Royal and Regal Princess

Seems pretty self explanatory to me....and here's the link for the page where it's found: http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/

Also listed on the website. If I booked a cruise I might read the rules of the package before I selected it.

I apologize for that comment but to say it's common knowledge "here" I think is over simplifying things..

I do agree that if you're buying something you should know what you're buying..

No kidding...that is stated on the Princess website which is available 24/7 to anyone who takes the time to view it...even for anyone who never goes to CC. :rolleyes:

"There are no milkshakes or thick shakes available for Ocean and Pacific Princess or Royal and Regal Princess".

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/

Princess puts so many things on their website which too often no one takes the time to read. Then passengers are shocked & outraged when things are not as they assumed and start threads saying it's false advertisement, being ripped off, etc., etc. :(

Oh well...now future passengers are aware of this limit. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I apologize for that comment but to say it's common knowledge "here" I think is over simplifying things..

I do agree that if you're buying something you should know what you're buying..

No problem.....

I don't really understand why they don't have them on those ships, especially since they are new. It does not make sense to me.

At least it is noted in the description.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Maybe, since it's Princess's 50th anniversary, we should all chip in to buy them blenders for the PP, OP, and the R twins. We could have them gift-wrapped, and I'm sure Macy's would be happy to ship them to Santa Clarita with a big card from all of us.

Wow. Interesting information and I understand the OP's consternation about being misled. I was considering purchasing the Soda "Plus" package for my 14-day med cruise on the Emerald next week, mostly so I could get in on the milkshakes and hot chocolates. If those aren't available I may as well pick up a liter of Diet Coke before I board in Barcelona and be done with it.

Proactively going forward however, for those of you who do feel the milkshake info is "common knowledge," would you be able to post the shorter list of which Princess ships DO have the milkshakes or which DON'T? That would be helpful to a lot of people I'm sure. If I don't see it I suppose I can simply ask onboard the Emerald before I purchase it whether or not they have them and if they are included w/out strings attached.

Shakes are available on Emerald Princess...

Edited by RickEk

Maybe, since it's Princess's 50th anniversary, we should all chip in to buy them blenders for the PP, OP, and the R twins. We could have them gift-wrapped, and I'm sure Macy's would be happy to ship them to Santa Clarita with a big card from all of us.

If their hard ice cream is only sold at a specialty cafe, I guess they don't stock a separate inventory just for shakes (you can't really make a malt shake out of soft serve mix).

When we booked the package a note came up that said that milkshakes and something else were not available on these 4 ships. We are on the Coral so it makes no difference to us but we did get a warning before we hit the purchase button.

We are booked on the Royal Princess for next spring. Just to see for myself, I went to my Cruise Personalizer to check out the Beverage Packages for my cruise. The description for the Unlimited Soda and More has a disclaimer that shakes are not available on Ocean and Pacific Princess.

So, as a customer, what other due diligence is needed on my part to find out that shakes are not included on Royal?

I'm not interested in purchasing the package but have to disagree with those who have said the OP didn't read the terms of the package.

After deborahjo's post, I did hit "select" and still no warning that the shakes would not be available. Glitch?

Edited by MustangGT

On the Regal and Royal you can get milkshakes and sundaes in the gelato ice cream shop. However, the ultimate soda and more package does not work there and you have to pay..

I think the older ships have Scoops and Sundaes ice cream venues. If those places are not on the ship I definitely would ask. I got milkshakes on the Caribbean princess years ago..

When we booked the package a note came up that said that milkshakes and something else were not available on these 4 ships. We are on the Coral so it makes no difference to us but we did get a warning before we hit the purchase button.

I asked them to rectify this problem this morning. They may have looked into and fixed it..

On the Regal and Royal you can get milkshakes and sundaes in the gelato ice cream shop. However, the ultimate soda and more package does not work there and you have to pay..

Are you assuming or have you experienced this yourself?

We could not on the Regal last Nov.

I think the older ships have Scoops and Sundaes ice cream venues. If those places are not on the ship I definitely would ask. I got milkshakes on the Caribbean princess years ago..

Milk shakes on ships that are not noted have been available for a few years.

If their hard ice cream is only sold at a specialty cafe, I guess they don't stock a separate inventory just for shakes (you can't really make a malt shake out of soft serve mix).

DQ does it for a living..... Anyway, one should always research anything before buying.

I like shakes/malts but it would be no reason for me to buy a package. OP disregards the other benefits received though.....

I was wondering the same thing which is either an incorrect assumption or it's a changed since I sailed on the Regal in April. :confused:

I've sailed the Royal twice & the Regal once and they've never had any milkshakes at Gelato's.

I found a link to the Gelato's menu from February 2015 which is what I've experienced on all Royal-class ships...no milkshakes. I did notice one change to the menu & that the price on the Regal increased to $3.50 from $2.75 making using a coffee card punch an even better deal. ;)

http://vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.com/2015/02/gelato-bar-menu.html

Edited by Astro Flyer

No kidding...that is stated on the Princess website which is available 24/7 to anyone who takes the time to view it...even for anyone who never goes to CC. :rolleyes:

"There are no milkshakes or thick shakes available for Ocean and Pacific Princess or Royal and Regal Princess".

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/

Princess puts so many things on their website which too often no one takes the time to read. Then passengers are shocked & outraged when things are not as they assumed and start threads saying it's false advertisement, being ripped off, etc., etc. :(

Oh well...now future passengers are aware of this limit. :)

Frank, Don't know where the info in bold came from, but I tried to preorder the package through Personalizer and there is only a notation about the Ocean and Pacific, not the Royal and Regal. It would appear that people should be able to rely on the information provided when you order the package (sufficient due diligence?) but that is not the case.

I was wondering the same thing which is either an incorrect assumption or it's a changed since I sailed on the Regal in April. :confused:

I've sailed the Royal twice & the Regal once and they've never had any milkshakes at Gelato's.

I found a link to the Gelato's menu from February 2015 which is what I've experienced on all Royal-class ships...no milkshakes.

http://vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.com/2015/02/gelato-bar-menu.html

Thanks for posting that. I didn't remember seeing milkshakes on the Gelato menu on the Regal.

Milk shakes on ships that are not noted have been available for a few years.

I experienced it on the Regal. NOT BEING ABLE TO GET ONE AT THE SWIRLS. I WAS TOLD AT SWIRLS THERE WERE NO MILKSHAKES AVAILABL by the staff and a senior officer. I recently enquired about it to princess relations for our Royal booking. I got back an email this morning stating that milkshakes were only available in the respectively Scoops and Sundaes venues and not available on the Ocean and the Pacific. The Royal and Regal were not included in my email and the gelato area was not included in the package. This is where you can actually get a milkshake for an additional price. I then replied back that I felt that it was false advertising since these two ships were not included and if they could rectify it by adding the other two ships. They have not sent me another email. But possibly since folks have seen 4 ships on the list. They may have fixed it..

Frank, Don't know where the info in bold came from, but I tried to preorder the package through Personalizer and there is only a notation about the Ocean and Pacific, not the Royal and Regal. It would appear that people should be able to rely on the information provided when you order the package (sufficient due diligence?) but that is not the case.

Based on your experience & that of MustangGT with the Cruise Personlizer statement then apparently Princess is dropping the ball and having conflicting info. :(

But also "debrahjo" said she got the info about it not being on those 4 ships when booking the package. :confused:

I found what I posted on the description of the Unlimited Soda & More package under that link I posted for the Beverages Packages under the definition.

Unlimited Soda & More Package

Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & more Package, entitling you to the above Unlimited Soda Package plus any mocktails, juices, shakes, floats and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge. Item #2312 $8.05

per person/

per day

There are no milkshakes or thick shakes available for Ocean and Pacific Princess or Royal and Regal Princess

I added the red color to make it stand out on this thread.

Edited by Astro Flyer