How long before NCL follows Celebrity's new pricing structure?

LadySpoilt

With Celebrity rolling out its new bundle pricing structure tomorrow, I wonder how long it will be until NCL follows?

The new structure basically is built off their 123Go promotion, which is much like NCL's promo's of the last several months. A few differences being, the extras such as beverage or dining will now be built permanently into cruise prices and not as every month or so changing promos. Secondly there will now be no more "cruise only" pricing, only bundle pricing with 3 options to choose from.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Celebrity-Cruises-to-go-exclusively-with-bundle-pricing/

Edited by LadySpoilt

Looks similar to NCL current promos except NCL interiors/studios have a choice in which promos they want now. I hope the June promo of theirs is permanent because that seems like such a money-maker and better variety of promos.

With Celebrity rolling out its new bundle pricing structure tomorrow, I wonder how long it will be until NCL follows?

The new structure basically is built off their 123Go promotion, which is much like NCL's promo's of the last several months. A few differences being, the extras such as beverage or dining will now be built permanently into cruise prices and not as every month or so changing promos. Secondly there will now be no more "cruise only" pricing, only bundle pricing with 3 options to choose from.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Celebrity-Cruises-to-go-exclusively-with-bundle-pricing/

I hope NCL doesn't adopt the Celebrity bundling prices. I obfuscates the basic pricing by requiring the purchase of a drinks package.

We never buy the drinks packages. We are moderate drinkers and prefer to pay separately for our wine, beer and occasional mixed drink,

What this policy will likely do for Celebrity elite cruisers like my self is remove one of our huge benefits, that being the free drinks at the 5-7pm happy hour every evening.

We are Platinum on NCL and have already booked two NCL cruises (after our October Japan cruise on Celebrity), since Celebrity's prices are getting higher in relation to NCL.

I think NCL's experiment with the Sky is testing this concept, with all fares including a drinks package. It might be the way to go and eliminate the "nickle and diming" that people complain about.

I think NCL's experiment with the Sky is testing this concept, with all fares including a drinks package. It might be the way to go and eliminate the "nickle and diming" that people complain about.

That's nickle and diming in reverse! I don't drink and buy an occasional ginger beer. I don't go to the upcharge restaurants so I do not want to be forced into buying something I don't want nor need.

I'm not sure about that. The Sky is a weekend cruise, and more or less everyone is celebrating something. It isn't like a week-long or 10 day cruise... it is more of a short party.

I think it might be a good idea. The one thing that Celebrity is not doing, that I think would be a must for NCL, is to have a base price without any added items.

NCL could have a number of tiers; starting with a base without anything added and then ending with an all-inclusive tier.

That's nickle and diming in reverse! I don't drink and buy an occasional ginger beer. I don't go to the upcharge restaurants so I do not want to be forced into buying something I don't want nor need.

I agree as far as the drinks package! On my last cruise I drank more than I usually do, which simply means I had a glass of wine with dinner most evenings. The soda package doesn't make sense for me either as I drink very little soda. The dining package is a completely different story though; I love the specialty restaurants. The variety of dining venues is why I chose NCL for my last cruise, and it was such a great experience that I've booked my next on NCL as well. But, if they were to up the fares to include UBP and such, I'd be rethinking my cruise line of choice. :( I like the current promotion where you have a choice.

It all comes down to what the line thinks is the best strategy: Offer low fares to get bookings (and annoy passengers with high charges for drinks and other extras), or price its cruises high enough to eliminate nickel-and-diming (while risking the loss of passengers who just want to see "cruises from $999").

As far as including the specialty restaurants is concerned, that could get tricky because of supply and demand. (If everyone can visit the steakhouse or French restaurant without paying extra, the steakhouse and French restaurant need to be larger than they are on NCL's current ships.)

I agree that it takes away the "Freestyle" in NCL Freestyle.

I would never purchase the UBP as I do not drink enough to make it advantageous. I even choose not to buy the UDP on my next cruise because I just enjoy the main dining room sometimes in the evenings. I will eat in whichever restaurant I wish each evening, including the Specialties.

I think it might be a good idea. The one thing that Celebrity is not doing, that I think would be a must for NCL, is to have a base price without any added items.

NCL could have a number of tiers; starting with a base without anything added and then ending with an all-inclusive tier.

I agree with you on the offering of a base price fro more than just interior cabins. This will be interesting to see how what other lines will end up doing. Just like charging fro luggage when one starts doing something another joins. Thank you Southwest for being the holdout with free luggage!

I am planning to detemine just how much I spend on drinking on my next cruise. Not that I don't watch it, but I never break down my final bill to determine how many of the charges were for drinks.

I've prepaid DSC, excursions, and my spa pass, and will be Platinum for the first time (YEA!), and will be in a suite. So most of our on-board charges will be for drinks and what we buy on board. I can't think I could ever drink enough to make the UBP worthwhile. I honestly don't even know how much it costs; I've never paid attention!

All this is said to say I would not like there to be just an all-inclusive package, either; I want to make my own choices.

Edited by planma'am
spelling

They do have that cruise only base option but, and it's a big but, ONLY for inside cabins. Also, no one has to have a drinks package, you can pick from the drinks, a $300 obc, grats or Internet.

All that being said, a cruise I was going to book that yesterday included drinks, grats and $300 obc was $1649. Today with the new pricing, it's $400 more per person with the only addition to the other 3 being Internet.

That's why I'm back here in NCL land. After years on Celeb, I'm going to try Norwegian solely as a result of the new pricing.

I hope not. That's counter to the goal of "freestyle."

To me, "Freestyle" went away a long time ago. If you have to make dinner and show reservations long before you step onto the ship, that is not freestyle.

I hope not. That's counter to the goal of "freestyle."

Whether they do or not remains to be seen. I have mixed feelings about this, but I think too many people misunderstand what is really meant by the term "freestyle" I guess you would have had to be a cruiser when NCL introduced the program. It relates mostly just to the dining options, nothing else. It mean you are free to choose when and where you want eat and if you do or do not want to dress in formal wear. It had nothing to do with pricing. The other feature was when you want to vacate your cabin the day of disembarkation and if you want to eat breakfast before you pick up your carry off items.

Edited by newmexicoNita

They do have that cruise only base option but, and it's a big but, ONLY for inside cabins. Also, no one has to have a drinks package, you can pick from the drinks, a $300 obc, grats or Internet.

All that being said, a cruise I was going to book that yesterday included drinks, grats and $300 obc was $1649. Today with the new pricing, it's $400 more per person with the only addition to the other 3 being Internet.

That's why I'm back here in NCL land. After years on Celeb, I'm going to try Norwegian solely as a result of the new pricing.

Yes, I understand that they have the base option for inside cabins, but when I cruise with Celebrity, I cruise in Concierge level. I never pick the drink option in the 123 go promotion, sans one of my cruises booked, where I got all three options for booking onboard, I usually pick the OBC, but would rather there be four options, one being just the base price without options. Edited by NLH Arizona

As I said earlier before my reply somehow disappeared, this would be close to discriminatory towards people who cannot drink for (let's call it) various medical reasons. If I were to cruise on a carrier who only offered alcohol included I would have to file an ADA claim to have my fare price adjusted to be reduced by the cost associate with the alcohol.

I personally would love if Ncl went all inclusive, I usually buy the drink and dining package so that would definitely benefit me.

You can pretty much be assured, if NCL follows Celebrity, RCI will as well, then just watch the other lines step into the act.

And don't think I'd hesitate to go with a non-mass-market at that point. But this is why I'm posting--better to speak up early. I quite like NCL's very "unbundled" product and I'm sure others do too.