Dress code for teenagers

HelloKittysMum

We will be doing TA on QM2 4/8 with our two teenage children (16 & 14 but look younger).

My son (16) has a black suit he wore for his prom so is sorted for formal evenings but doesn't have a jacket for informal. Will he be OK with chinos and a shirt without a jacket?

My daughter doesn't have cocktail style dresses but does have some nice dresses but they are not really formal. Two years ago we did a Royal Caribbean Med cruise and she wore black miniskirts with lacy tops for the formal evenings there but since then her dress sense has gone more casual. She's tiny (Uk size 4/6), looks quite young and it's quite hard to find something that fits, is formal but more importantly is age appropriate. (I really don't want her in bodycon dresses as they look too grown up but the dresses she has are skater style so less formal). Any thoughts?

From ask.cunard.com:

Evenings

Evenings will be split into 2 different dress codes. You will be notified of the evening's dress code in your Daily Programme. As a guide, these will be:

Formal:

Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies. A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men or you may wear formal national dress and army uniform.

Informal:

Evenings would consist of a required jacket and optional tie optional for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

Children

Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should adhere to the daily dress code where possible.

Suit jacket can be worn with chinos for informal. Mini-skirts are not really formal, but a young girl does not need a really formal dress - I have no idea what bodycon and skater dresses are -- but you might take the opportunity of the formal environment of a Cunard crossing to impose some more traditional styles on her - they might not be her first choice, but should it always be her choice?

Blueriband provided the official response, so you can see that your children are under the age where the dress code applies. Happily. So you can see that you really don't have to worry. But I do recommend that they stay away from super-informal attire (jeans, t-shirts, shorts) in Britannia, otherwise they run the risk of receiving tons of dirty looks from fellow passengers. I'm sure they will do fine and look great! Have a great crossing!

[Y]our children are under the age where the dress code applies.

Sorry but I don't read it that way at all. To me what is elucidated below

From ask.cunard.com:

Children

Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should adhere to the daily dress code where possible.

...is that there is no separate dress code for children who "are expected to adhere to the daily dress code". Cunard's use of the word "should" rather than "expected" is just a typical example of the overuse of soft language when copping out of directly addressing the issue.

But even if you disagree with my interpretation the question is how uncomfortable your teens will feel when well underdressed in comparison to any of their peers who may be aboard. On the one midsummer crossing I have taken there were many family groups and even the pre-teens wore tuxedos and gowns on formal nights and the equivalent of cocktail attire on semi-formal nights.

This may be the prefect time to educate the children on proper civilized attire and behavior. Not saying they are not the best behaved of all children but allowing them to set the tone of the evening is not what the rest of the passengers may have in mind either. And there is always the buffet if all else fails.

On every cruise, no matter how old our sons were at the time, we had them dress like mini versions of my husband and as close to dress code as possible. They are never to young to know the right thing to do. :)

Blueriband provided the official response, so you can see that your children are under the age where the dress code applies. Happily. So you can see that you really don't have to worry. But I do recommend that they stay away from super-informal attire (jeans, t-shirts, shorts) in Britannia, otherwise they run the risk of receiving tons of dirty looks from fellow passengers. I'm sure they will do fine and look great! Have a great crossing!

"...should adhere to the daily dress code where possible." means what it says: they should adhere to the dress code. The implication, of course, is that if they dress like slobs they will not be refused seating.

Of course, the question remains: why expose them to a style of living (to participate in which many of, if not most, of their fellow passengers find important) and then let them slide by - thereby missing out on a life lesson while insulting their fellow passengers?

I had to look up body con and skater dresses. :o

The skater dresses that I saw would be very much appropriate for a 14 yo. for formal night. I agree, age appropriate should be considered as well. The degree of dressy would depend on the fabric and color. Good luck. :)

Edited by brigittetom

Thank you for all the replies.

This may be the prefect time to educate the children on proper civilized attire and behavior. Not saying they are not the best behaved of all children but allowing them to set the tone of the evening is not what the rest of the passengers may have in mind either. And there is always the buffet if all else fails.

I am amazed that some of you think I need to be educated on how my children should behave as part of this but I'll let it go.

[quote name=navybankerteacher;47035261 The implication' date=' of course, is that if they dress like slobs they will not be refused seating.

Of course, the question remains: why expose them to a style of living (to participate in which many of, if not most, of their fellow passengers find important) and then let them slide by - thereby missing out on a life lesson while insulting their fellow passengers?[/quote]

At no point did I suggest jeans or slobby clothes either. There is a considerable difference between black tie and slobby clothes.

The big problem is with my daughter who doesn't want children's clothes because she wants to be grown up but grown up dressy clothes which fit her very small size (particularly in the UK) are often not age appropriate for a 14 year old. I would rather she looked less formal (but still smart) than age inappropriate.

We will probably find something when we are shopping in the US before the cruise but I wanted to make sure she has something in case we don't find anything (really don't want the 18 days of holiday In US and Canada being totally focused on trying to find something for her to wear).

My son will wear his black prom suit with a shirt and tie so he's fine for those days.

You have not indicated your children intend to buck any dress code but have asked for advice and quite frankly, I find some of the replies rather stuffy. Age appropriate is first and foremost the most important criteria here and by the sound of it, I'm sure your daughter will look fine.

Your daughter is still a child however grown up some teens like to think themselves and as such does not need to adhere to a formal dress code. A pretty dress or decent separates will be fine. Your son sounds as if his formal night clothing is done and dusted.

There will come a time for them to enter the grown up world of formal attire. It doesn't have to be on this cruise.

Dress your daughter in a manner you think is appropriate. I am sure you are the best judge of what is appropriate and proper for her and do not let anyone make you feel you have to eat in the buffet restaurant if she is not 'dolled up to the nines'. We saw some youngish teenage girls dressed in a manner I would not have wanted for my daughter at a similar age.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you for all the replies.

I am amazed that some of you think I need to be educated on how my children should behave as part of this but I'll let it go.

At no point did I suggest jeans or slobby clothes either. There is a considerable difference between black tie and slobby clothes.

The big problem is with my daughter who doesn't want children's clothes because she wants to be grown up but grown up dressy clothes which fit her very small size (particularly in the UK) are often not age appropriate for a 14 year old. I would rather she looked less formal (but still smart) than age inappropriate.

We will probably find something when we are shopping in the US before the cruise but I wanted to make sure she has something in case we don't find anything (really don't want the 18 days of holiday In US and Canada being totally focused on trying to find something for her to wear).

My son will wear his black prom suit with a shirt and tie so he's fine for those days.

The responses to which you appear to have taken exception were not directed at you, rather at tv24's remark the the dress code would not apply to your young children.

There will come a time for them to enter the grown up world of formal attire. It doesn't have to be on this cruise.

No one has suggested that young teenagers need to wear tuxedo or ball gown. But a crossing on Cunard is precisely the time for them to enter the world of (age appropriate) formal attire. For a teen aged boy, jacket and tie means jacket and tie, and dark suit means dark suit. Young girls have a wider range of appropriate choices - hopefully with the guidance of their parents.

Dress your daughter in a manner you think is appropriate. I am sure you are the best judge of what is appropriate and proper for her and do not let anyone make you feel you have to eat in the buffet restaurant if she is not 'dolled up to the nines'. We saw some youngish teenage girls dressed in a manner I would not have wanted for my daughter at a similar age.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you for the supportive comments. I think there maybe a difference between Uk and US expectations of teenagers' formal dress. I for one do not want her to wear things I have seen friends teenagers wearing at formal occasions. My daughter is 14 but looks about 12 so age appropriate is definitely my number one priority.

And would people really be "insulted" as one poster has said if she wears something age appropriate rather than a cocktail dress or ball gown? My parents and their friends are frequent Cunard cruisers and I know my mum would be more offended by teenage girls dressed in clothes that are too old for them.

No one has suggested that young teenagers need to wear tuxedo or ball gown. But a crossing on Cunard is precisely the time for them to enter the world of (age appropriate) formal attire. For a teen aged boy, jacket and tie means jacket and tie, and dark suit means dark suit. Young girls have a wider range of appropriate choices - hopefully with the guidance of their parents.

Our children had the required level of clothing [not a tux until they went to university] whenever they cruised with us but that was our choice and they needed suits and jackets at school anyway so no trouble for us.

A Cunard crossing is a holiday for most passengers, including youngsters and not necessarily, a rite of passage. If some families wish their children to be mini me's, that's fine but one person's take on the dress code is not another's. As the code compliance states 'should adhere where possible' for under eighteens, then that's what should happen, where possible.

Age appropriate 'formal attire' was covered and as you previously indicated, a suit jacket can be utilised for an informal dress code should the young man wish to do so. Taking the dress code guide literally, a teenager under the age of eighteen should not be refused admission to the restaurant or the main areas of the ship if not wearing the adult required jacket, however many sensibilities that might offend.

You have not indicated your children intend to buck any dress code but have asked for advice and quite frankly, I find some of the replies rather stuffy. Age appropriate is first and foremost the most important criteria here and by the sound of it, I'm sure your daughter will look fine.

Your daughter is still a child however grown up some teens like to think themselves and as such does not need to adhere to a formal dress code. A pretty dress or decent separates will be fine. Your son sounds as if his formal night clothing is done and dusted.

Thank you for the advice. As my daughter looks young for her age and is tiny (less than 5 ft and US size 00/0) age appropriate is definitely my priority (and it's difficult to get something that fits that isn't too little girly). I have been to plenty of formal occasions where adults have stretched the definition of formal so I hope no one will be insulted or offended by a young girl not in sequins and chiffon.

Our children had the required level of clothing [not a tux until they went to university] whenever they cruised with us but that was our choice and they needed suits and jackets at school anyway so no trouble for us.

A Cunard crossing is a holiday for most passengers, including youngsters and not necessarily, a rite of passage. If some families wish their children to be mini me's, that's fine but one person's take on the dress code is not another's. As the code compliance states 'should adhere where possible' for under eighteens, then that's what should happen, where possible.

Age appropriate 'formal attire' was covered and as you previously indicated, a suit jacket can be utilised for an informal dress code should the young man wish to do so. Taking the dress code guide literally, a teenager under the age of eighteen should not be refused admission to the restaurant or the main areas of the ship if not wearing the adult required jacket, however many sensibilities that might offend.

This is what I hope will happen. Unfortunately our children wear very formal uniform with blazers with wide yellow braid and school crest for school so that isn't an option but my son has an evening suit (not a tuxedo) from his prom so he is sorted.

Thank you for the advice. As my daughter looks young for her age and is tiny (less than 5 ft and US size 00/0) age appropriate is definitely my priority (and it's difficult to get something that fits that isn't too little girly). I have been to plenty of formal occasions where adults have stretched the definition of formal so I hope no one will be insulted or offended by a young girl not in sequins and chiffon.

I'm sure they won't be offended and if they are, I think that's their problem, not yours. I belong in the camp which thinks children should dress to their age and for me that means leaving tux/sequins and chiffon until they are late/later teens.

Go and enjoy.

We will be doing TA on QM2 4/8 with our two teenage children (16 & 14 but look younger).

My son (16) has a black suit he wore for his prom so is sorted for formal evenings but doesn't have a jacket for informal. Will he be OK with chinos and a shirt without a jacket?

My daughter doesn't have cocktail style dresses but does have some nice dresses but they are not really formal. Two years ago we did a Royal Caribbean Med cruise and she wore black miniskirts with lacy tops for the formal evenings there but since then her dress sense has gone more casual. She's tiny (Uk size 4/6), looks quite young and it's quite hard to find something that fits, is formal but more importantly is age appropriate. (I really don't want her in bodycon dresses as they look too grown up but the dresses she has are skater style so less formal). Any thoughts?

Your son will be fine using his black suit for the formal nights, he could also use the jacket for informal nights if he wished. Paired with light coloured chinos it would look great.

Your daughter will be absolutely fine with the skater style dresses, she will not need formal glitzy wear.

Don't let the old guard worry you! In their world we women would still be wearing corsets and long gloves!

Edited by jomf

Hello Kittysmum,

I have a 16 year old son and a 14 year old daughter who sounds like she is the same size as your daughter. My son will be wearing a Tux and I have purchased a new jacket for semi formal. My daughter was slightly more difficult to dress as although she is 14 is wearing 12 year old size clothes.

When we have cruised before we have got her formal long gowns for wedding/prom shops, we have just looked for styles that don't look too old or too young. What was harder was to find shoes to match that didn't look too grown up (now she is a young lady she wants a kitten heel whereas on previous cruises she wore flats or her silver dance shoes).

My daughter is happy to wear full length as she enjoys dressing up, for semi formal she will wear shorter. However, I have seen children on formal nights wearing a shorter length.

This is what I hope will happen. Unfortunately our children wear very formal uniform with blazers with wide yellow braid and school crest for school so that isn't an option but my son has an evening suit (not a tuxedo) from his prom so he is sorted.

This sounds ideal for son, evening suit. Daughter might well benefit from a smart formal style dress which might be on the smart side of formal but not anything remotely sexy. Whatever one would wear at business do where important people will be in attendance or an interview situation.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

This sounds ideal for son, evening suit. Daughter might well benefit from a smart formal style dress which might be on the smart side of formal but not anything remotely sexy. Whatever one would wear at business do where important people will be in attendance.

Regards John

'Whatever one would wear at business do where important people will be in attendance.'

These are children we're talking about. Yes they're teens but still children and children/business/important people don't collide very often [unless it's a MUN conference or some sort of work experience] and they don't on a cruise either.

The suit will be fine for the 16 yr old son and a 'nice' dress and/or separates will be fine for the 14yr old young lady.

I have cruised with Cunard countless times and have yet to see an inappropriately dressed teen because as long as they're not 'scruffy', that age group have the ability to carry off most styles and look amazing.

Ultra mini, long, sparkly, elegant, skater, simple dresses...sorted. The girls look lovely.

The boys? A suit or jacket for the mid teens onwards and long sleeved white crisply pressed shirt and tie for the younger ones if they don't have a jacket, covers formal evenings. I know many passengers love their boys to wear evening dress but it shows the disparity in thinking because sadly, I just think most of them look faintly comical.

So whatever these children end up wearing, they will look fabulous and if they enjoy the occasion and the holiday, it will be a job well done.:)

I was simply trying to point out that if it were my daughter I would like her to be smart and that in this respect the mode to be erring towards a cocktail party one might have at a formal office party at a business rather than the sexier styles which sometimes appear, backless etc.

The problem is in my opinion; age, they are not really either children or women and this is the problem.

Regards John