Help getting from Heathrow to hotel by Victoria Station

We will be coming into Heathrow on a red eye that arrives at 9:00 am.We will each have a carry on and a large easy to roll suitcase. We will have two full days in London. If it's easy then I'm ok with taking a train or the tube. If I have to switch trains or subways then I'd rather jump in a cab. Could you share your insight on an easy way from the airport to our hotel (Lord Milner). We are in our mid 50's and pretty mobile! Am I correct that a taxi would cost about $70 USD? Thank you for any advice or suggestions!

We will be coming into Heathrow on a red eye that arrives at 9:00 am.We will each have a carry on and a large easy to roll suitcase. We will have two full days in London. If it's easy then I'm ok with taking a train or the tube. If I have to switch trains or subways then I'd rather jump in a cab. Could you share your insight on an easy way from the airport to our hotel (Lord Milner). We are in our mid 50's and pretty mobile! Am I correct that a taxi would cost about $70 USD? Thank you for any advice or suggestions!

I received a quote from Simply Airports for a private pick up to my hotel in london and it was 36 pounds plus tip for 2 passengers. After a long plane ride from California to Heathrow I don't want to worry how to get to my hotel with luggage for a cruise. We did this last time and when we came out of baggage pickup there was our driver with a sign with our name on it!

Kadey, we're staying @The Lord Milner right now, prior to leaving for Southampton and the cruise tomorrow, thanks to your mention of it a few weeks ago. It's charming, and so comfortable!! If you opt for breakfast, it's delicious and served in your room since they have no dining room. About a 5-10 minute walk from Victoria Sta. but very easy, once you know the way. We took a Blackberry car (reserved ahead) from Heathrow directly to hotel, then once settled, got directions to the station and it was a cinch. Victoria Sta is

a huge hub for trains, buses &the Tube, so it helps to know where you're going. We're

taking National Express tomorrow to Southampton. Hope this helps.

Kathy

Kathy- I'm so glad that you are enjoying staying at Lord Milner! Thank you for the update!I'm interested in hearing about the ease (or not!) of getting around London from the hotel's location. , are there any sights that are walkable from the hotel? I thought the hotel was closer to Victoria Station. Part of the reason I picked Lord Milner was because we are going to take the Gatwick Express train to Gatwick for our flight out. Would it be an easy walk with luggage or better to take a taxi to Victoria Station with luggage. Are taxis available? Thanks again for letting me know that you are enjoying the hotel! Have a fantastic time in London and a wonderful cruise!!

I will say this...the car service is not a bad idea for £35 but just as a mention, getting to Victoria from Heathrow via the tube is very simple...what you have to do after reaching Victoria may be another matter.

To get to Victoria via tube from Heathrow, follow the signs to the underground. Take the first train headed to central London, it will be the Picadilly line (dark navy blue on the maps) most likely headed to Cockfosters (it doesn't really matter which Heathrow terminal you are arriving at). At Hammersmith, get off the train and walk across the platform (no stairs to climb) and take the first district line train that arrives (green on the maps) which will go to Victoria. At Victoria there will be a few steps to go up and from there it might be a simple walk; I don't know where the hotel is. Will save you money but you may not feel it is worth it. Up to you but no big deal.

I recommend a car service to your hotel. ;)Victoria station is HUGE. And like mentioned, once you know the area, it is fine. But the whole street area and the inside of the station is pretty crazy. The thought of navigating to a hotel with suitcases upon arrival after a long flight would be waay too much for us.

We were dropped at our hotel, unpacked a couple things, washed up and went right over to pick up the hop on bus near the station. We were very glad, after seeing the heavy traffic around the station and layout of roads, that we had taken the easy way to the hotel. We then took the whole route on the ho ho, making a great introduction to the city, getting our bearings and doing it while relaxing after the flight. have fun. London is fantastic!!

Edited by eandj

Kadey, we're staying @The Lord Milner right now, prior to leaving for Southampton and the cruise tomorrow, thanks to your mention of it a few weeks ago. It's charming, and so comfortable!! If you opt for breakfast, it's delicious and served in your room since they have no dining room. About a 5-10 minute walk from Victoria Sta. but very easy, once you know the way. We took a Blackberry car (reserved ahead) from Heathrow directly to hotel, then once settled, got directions to the station and it was a cinch. Victoria Sta is

a huge hub for trains, buses &the Tube, so it helps to know where you're going. We're

taking National Express tomorrow to Southampton. Hope this helps.

Kathy

Kathy, how did the bus work out? I am planning to stay near the Lord Milner and have booked the bus from Victoria coach station to Southampton.

Thanks, Dena

Thank you all for the help. I think I'm going to reserve transportation through minicab. (unless someone has had a bad experience to report!)

It's not clear to me what service you mean. "minicab" is a generic term for private hire. There are several car services that use the word in their name.

There are mentions on this thread of other companies that come up time and time again on LHR transfer threads.

Just to help out anyone who may not understand the distinction:

Taxis or the traditional 'black' cab (often other colours these days but the distinctive shape is easy to spot: You can hail one of these anywhere if their 'for hire' light is on. The drivers know their way around and are heavily regulated. Drivers always speak English and are capable of boring you on any subject you care to mention. They all have facilities for the disabled and many have wifi.

Private Hire or Minicabs are only booked in advance. They are always cheaper than the black cabs but, while they are licenced, they are less heavily regulated. These are the ones you get with Uber etc. Most are pretty good, but there are some rogues with scruffy cars and even without insurance. Many drivers have little or no English.

Many (most) of the Private hire companies are very well run and that is reflected in the comments on this and other boards.

I would not hesitate to book a minicab to collect me at an airport. The cost saving can be considerable and they will meet you inside.

If I just wanted a car to take me a few blocks - a taxi would be the simplest option, although Uber is gaining ground over them.

To add to Bob's comments, Uber is certainly gaining ground over black cabs, mainly due to the huge price difference.

Yes some of the drivers may not have perfect English, but certainly sufficient for them to understand where you want to go. Anyway the Uber app now lets you put in your destination as well as the pickup point, so there is little need to speak to the driver.

As for insurance, I understand that Uber in the UK have an overarching insurance policy that covers everything if the driver's doesn't.

Finally for visitors from the USA who use Uber there, or visitors from anywhere that use Uber, the app works in the UK.

Can you tell I am not a fan of black cabs.

Although I usually don't mind busses and trains, I think after an overnight flight we are going to go with a car hire. It seems minicab is a online site where car services bid for your transport.

It seems minicab is a online site where car services bid for your transport.
Would you trust the companies that are bidding?

You may be better off just going with a company that's reported by many people to be reliable. Saving a few pounds here and there is really not that important in comparison.

Would you trust the companies that are bidding?

You may be better off just going with a company that's reported by many people to be reliable. Saving a few pounds here and there is really not that important in comparison.

Agreed! Often the company that is bidding has been rated. I was planning on picking one with a high rating. They are a few more pounds,but we are more comfortable going with them.

I'm going to go against the flow and recommend taking National Express. I have taken the red-eye to London twice now and each time arriving early in the morning. We took the National Express bus the first time and the Gatwick Express the second time because it was faster. The challenge is that the hotels won't let you check-in till after 2 or 3pm as they prep the rooms.

When we took the quicker transportation, we dropped off our luggage and tried to visit an attraction but ran out of energy quickly and ended up back at the hotel at check-in. When we took the bus, we fell asleep easily and had a long power nap before dropping off the luggage for the afternoon out. We were then able to stay out till after dinner and were in bed by 9:30ish. It seemed our bodies adjusted easier to the time change with the power nap as we were out each day from 10am-10pm for a week. It took about 2 days on the second visit to adjust.

We are in our late 50's and had no issues dragging our luggage to our hotel 4 blocks away. You'll see lots of tourist doing the same thing from Victoria Coach station or Victoria station. It's a lot easier with the newer spinner wheels.

I'm going to go against the flow and recommend taking National Express. I have taken the red-eye to London twice now and each time arriving early in the morning. We took the National Express bus the first time and the Gatwick Express the second time because it was faster. The challenge is that the hotels won't let you check-in till after 2 or 3pm as they prep the rooms.

When we took the quicker transportation, we dropped off our luggage and tried to visit an attraction but ran out of energy quickly and ended up back at the hotel at check-in. When we took the bus, we fell asleep easily and had a long power nap before dropping off the luggage for the afternoon out. We were then able to stay out till after dinner and were in bed by 9:30ish. It seemed our bodies adjusted easier to the time change with the power nap as we were out each day from 10am-10pm for a week. It took about 2 days on the second visit to adjust.

We are in our late 50's and had no issues dragging our luggage to our hotel 4 blocks away. You'll see lots of tourist doing the same thing from Victoria Coach station or Victoria station. It's a lot easier with the newer spinner wheels.

Where did you take the power nap if you were not checked in the Hotel yet? I can't sleep sitting up on the plane while traveling , I don't think I could sleep on a Bus either.

Where did you take the power nap if you were not checked in the Hotel yet? I can't sleep sitting up on the plane while traveling , I don't think I could sleep on a Bus either.

I didn't sleep a wink on the flight to London from the west coast. I ended up watching a bunch of movies. DW and I don't remember any of the bus ride in as we had been up for almost 20 hours.

I always find I'm too excited to sleep on the plane but when we land, I'm relaxed and fatigue sets in.

Edited by lamchops