Boarding time

I am taking a Princess cruise out of Seattle in Sept. On my cruise paperwork it says that boarding starts at 12 noon and runs to 3 PM with the ship set for a 4 PM departure.

Does it matter what time you board the ship, just as long as you board before 3 PM? Also, are the lines to get on the ship usually shorter as it gets closer to sail away time? I am hoping to squeeze in a little more sightseeing around downtown Seattle before boarding the ship.

No, it doesn't matter that much, but considering you've PAID for Day 1 of the cruise...and boarding day IS day 1....seems silly to miss 1/2 of it!

And yes..you must have checked in 90 mins. prior to sailaway.

I am taking a Princess cruise out of Seattle in Sept. On my cruise paperwork it says that boarding starts at 12 noon and runs to 3 PM with the ship set for a 4 PM departure.

Does it matter what time you board the ship, just as long as you board before 3 PM? Also, are the lines to get on the ship usually shorter as it gets closer to sail away time? I am hoping to squeeze in a little more sightseeing around downtown Seattle before boarding the ship.

Please do not cut it close! Typically checkin ends 90 minutes before sail away because the ship must give a final passenger manifest to US Homeland Security no later than 60 minutes before sailing. If they allow somebody to board late they must restart the clock. Re-starting the clock means more port expenses.

You must decide if boarding that ship or sight seeing in Seattle are more important to you. The ship will leave with or without you. You do not want to arrive at the cruise terminal and find that all of the security and checkin agents are gone.

Two years ago, from my balcony, I saw two late arriving parties get turned away at the terminal. That's got to be a horrible experience - to see the ship right there but you've been dropped from the manifest and have lost 100% of your fare.

Edited by BlueRiband

Thanks for the reminder! I do NOT want to be one of the last to board. I'll just wait till I come back from my cruise to do more sightseeing.

On the day we return, if one is doing self-debarkation, are you usually off the boat by 10 AM? My flight isn't till 4 PM, but might squeeze in some sightseeing time then.

Thanks for the reminder! I do NOT want to be one of the last to board. I'll just wait till I come back from my cruise to do more sightseeing.

On the day we return, if one is doing self-debarkation, are you usually off the boat by 10 AM? My flight isn't till 4 PM, but might squeeze in some sightseeing time then.

With a 4 pm flight time you'll have a perfect amount of time to do some sightseeing. That's when I would do it if it were me. Like others have said. Embarkation day is considered day 1 of your cruise, enjoy it!