B2BX3 Jones/PVSA Violation?

catguy

Before I call NCL with the question thought I'd post it here.

Looking at the Jewel 2016 for 3 B2B:

April 24-May 1 Mex Riviera LA to LA

May 1-May 6 Pacific Coastal LA to Vancouver

May 6-May 7 Overnight Vancouver to Seattle

Does this violate the Jones/PVSA?

NCL is selling the 4/24-5/6 segment as 12 day cruise.

We are both Platinum so do we get the perks (Le Bistro)

with each leg?

Before I call NCL with the question thought I'd post it here.

Looking at the Jewel 2016 for 3 B2B:

April 24-May 1 Mex Riviera LA to LA

May 1-May 6 Pacific Coastal LA to Vancouver

May 6-May 7 Overnight Vancouver to Seattle

Does this violate the Jones/PVSA?

NCL is selling the 4/24-5/6 segment as 12 day cruise.

We are both Platinum so do we get the perks (Le Bistro)

with each leg?

Yes, it does. CBP looks at the entire voyage you are on the ship, so you are officially travelling from LA to Seattle without calling at a "far distant" port, which is cannot be any port in North or Central America, or the Caribbean, with the exception of the ABC islands. The 12 day cruise is legal since it ends in a foreign port.

What exactly would happen if this were booked?

Fines you would have to pay, if you happen to take the cruises. NCL is good at catching the violations, but, there have been cases where at the last minute, cruises were canceled.

What exactly would happen if this were booked?

My wife booked a cruise on Princess that was similar in that it went from LA to Vancouver, then the B2B leg was Vancouver to Ketchikan and then ending in Seattle. Princess sent an e-mail the next morning saying it could not be done and please contact their reservation representative or they would cancel the whole booking.

BTW, we ended up just going from LA to Vancouver because that was all we had time for as it turned out.

You will get your Platinum perks if your cruise is booked segmentally (I am not sure that is a word;)), if booked as one, you only get your perks once.

That being said, you will be credited for all the segments.:)

We did a B2B2B which was booked as 2 cruises. We got our Platinum perks on all three legs.

My wife booked a cruise on Princess that was similar in that it went from LA to Vancouver, then the B2B leg was Vancouver to Ketchikan and then ending in Seattle. Princess sent an e-mail the next morning saying it could not be done and please contact their reservation representative or they would cancel the whole booking.

BTW, we ended up just going from LA to Vancouver because that was all we had time for as it turned out.

What makes this a violation of the Jones Act? I thought that just required that you visit at least one foreign port on a foreign-flagged vessel, which he is doing on each leg of the trip, what causes the violation?

What makes this a violation of the Jones Act? I thought that just required that you visit at least one foreign port on a foreign-flagged vessel, which he is doing on each leg of the trip, what causes the violation?

Its the PVSA, not the Jones act.

A "closed loop" cruise that begins and ends in the same US port only needs to call at a foreign port.

A cruise that takes a passenger from one US port to disembark in another (the OP boards in LA and wants to disembark in Seattle), must call at a "distant" foreign port. This is why there are no one way cruises from the US West Coast to Hawaii, but the ones starting in Vancouver or Mexico are allowed as they start in a foreign port. As stated, a "distant" foreign port cannot be in North or Central America, or the Caribbean islands, except for the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao). This is why repo cruises through the Panama Canal must call at the ABC's or Columbia.

You will get your Platinum perks if your cruise is booked segmentally (I am not sure that is a word;)), if booked as one, you only get your perks once. ... )

Is that a new rule? Twice in the past we have booked b2b as just one booking and both times received our Platinum perks on each segment.

Our upcoming b2b was also booked as a single booking and I am expecting to get Platinum perks for each segment since I haven't seen any notice of there having been a change in perks per segment regardless of how booked. Each segment is a cruise.

Edited by NMLady

Its the PVSA, not the Jones act.

A "closed loop" cruise that begins and ends in the same US port only needs to call at a foreign port.

A cruise that takes a passenger from one US port to disembark in another (the OP boards in LA and wants to disembark in Seattle), must call at a "distant" foreign port. This is why there are no one way cruises from the US West Coast to Hawaii, but the ones starting in Vancouver or Mexico are allowed as they start in a foreign port. As stated, a "distant" foreign port cannot be in North or Central America, or the Caribbean islands, except for the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao). This is why repo cruises through the Panama Canal must call at the ABC's or Columbia.

More succinctly, a PVSA violation happens when you are transported from one US port to another on a foreign flagged vessel. By going to LA and ending up in Seattle, no matter how many segments are involved and unless it is a distant foreign port that is involved, that is the violation. Vancouver is not a "distant" foreign port.

Read all about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

Edited by ar1950