B2B Alaska question regarding rail

twinkle toes

The Alaska thread doesn't have much action, so thought I would ask this here since many have been to Alaska. We are thinking of doing a B2B which would give us the day in Whittier. I want to ride the railway, but am having a hard time finding out information about what is available and how far you could go up the rail before needing to head back to board the boat on time. Has anyone ever done this?

The Alaska thread doesn't have much action, so thought I would ask this here since many have been to Alaska. We are thinking of doing a B2B which would give us the day in Whittier. I want to ride the railway, but am having a hard time finding out information about what is available and how far you could go up the rail before needing to head back to board the boat on time. Has anyone ever done this?

We have taken the train between Anchorage and Whittier many times.

2-3 hours.

Here is the Alaska Railroad link....

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/

According to the website, there are no trains that will be going from Whittier to Anchorage that will be during the daytime.

So, no train for disembarking passengers to get to Anchorage?

OK...you have to understand how Alaska works. This is not like oh New York where there are regularly scheduled trains. Whittier is a tiny little town-you can drive through the entire town in about 10 minutes. There is a train depot there-mostly for freights. Passenger service is limited.

About 14 years ago they converted the train tunnel to make it good for cars and other vehicles. It too runs on a schedule. I presume that because of this Princess now does transfers from Whittier to Anchorage by bus.

As for rail service from there, it takes a while to go anywhere by train. Seward can take a whole day back and forth-and then you still have togged to Whittier...

Denali or Fairbanks can involve an overnight stay.

Princess does have a B2B excursion but it is a bus ride to Anchorage where you can explore for the day before heading back to the bus for the ride back to Whittier.

It does not look good for trains our of Whittier....

GLACIER DISCOVERY TRAIN SCHEDULE

Depart Arrive

Outbound

Anchorage 9:45 AM Girdwood 10:55 AM

Girdwood 11:00 AM Portage (1) 11:30 AM

Portage (1) 11:35 AM Whittier 12:05 PM

Whittier 12:45 PM Portage (2) 1:15 PM

Portage (2) 1:25 PM *Spencer WS 1:45 PM

*Spencer WS 1:55 PM Grandview 3:20 PM

Inbound

Grandview 3:30 PM *Spencer WS 4:30 PM

*Spencer WS 4:40 PM Portage 5:15 PM

Portage 5:30 PM Whittier 6:05 PM

Whittier 6:45 PM Portage 7:05 PM

Portage 7:20 PM Girdwood 7:35 PM

Girdwood 7:40 PM Anchorage 9:15 PM

Operates June 1-Sep 14, 2015.

OK...

Princess does have a B2B excursion but it is a bus ride to Anchorage where you can explore for the day before heading back to the bus for the ride back to Whittier.

I've signed up for the "On your Own" bus ride from Whittier into Anchorage for the day for the last 4 years on B2B's and it has been cancelled 3 times. They need to get a minimum # of people signed up or they cancel the bus. Your tour options in Whittier are pretty much limited to taking a PWS Glacier tour or maybe renting a car.

I've signed up for the "On your Own" bus ride from Whittier into Anchorage for the day for the last 4 years on B2B's and it has been cancelled 3 times. They need to get a minimum # of people signed up or they cancel the bus. Your tour options in Whittier are pretty much limited to taking a PWS Glacier tour or maybe renting a car.

I highly recommend this option if you've never done it previously (or even if you have :D). It's a fantastic experience, beautiful scenery, wild life and glaciers. Plus it's a short walk from where the ship docks to where the excursion boats dock.

http://www.phillipscruises.com/index.htm

http://www.majormarine.com/tour-areas/prince-william-sound/

There is no way you can accomplish this on turnaround day, I'm sorry to say. The train from Whittier doesn't leave until too late, and the train from Anchorage to Whittier leaves in the morning. The Alaska Railroad is spectacular, and I highly recommend it; it just can't be done via a B2B like you're doing. If you want to visit Anchorage for the day, it's technically possible, BUT be clearly forewarned that it's a highway with one lane each direction, and it can shut down when there's an accident, rock slide, mud slide, Avalanche, road construction, etc. This actually just happened last Friday; loads of traffic, accident, highway shut down for (I heard) an estimated 4-6 hours. Also, the day we took our southbound cruise years ago, my friend who had dropped us off in Whittier was stuck on the highway for hours after because of an accident. As a result, I only recommend doing an Anchorage excursion through Princess, so it's on them to get you to the ship in an emergency. I met a couple on our recent Alaska cruise who had that excursion booked, and unfortunately it was canceled because the minimum of 15 people was not met. They were extremely disappointed. I told them that you can technically rent a car, but it's a risk that you could get stuck if the highway shuts down. I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear, but hope it helps.

If this is a Princess promotion I would try and book the bus to Anchorage.

Or do the Glacier tour.

On turn around day, I took the train from Whitttier to Spenser Whistle Stop where I got off and walked to the lake and glacier. Two or three (I forget) hours later, you catch the train on its way back to Whittier. It was great. At Spenser WS, there is an option to raft from the lake down the river and catch the train coming back.

You can also stay on the train the entire time and do the whole 'loop'... back to Whittier.

Edited by Bill B