Altitude Sickness in Cusco, Peru

My wife and I are planning on taking a Holland America cruise that ends in Lima, Peru. I would to take an extra 4-6 days too explore Cusco, the Sacred Valley and especially Mucha Picchu.

My wife is really concerned about altitude sickness. How much of a problem is this? What percentage of visitors to Cusco experience this problem.

Do the prescription medications help along with the local coco tea and rest?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

You are more likely to experience altitude sickness in Cusco than in the Sacred Valley or Machu Picchu as that is the highest elevation of the three. Yes, it can be very serious but more than likely you will just notice mild headaches and that simple things (like walking) tire you out more than you'd expect. I would suggest staying in the Sacred Valley or in Aguas Calientes (now called Machu Picchu City/Town IIRC) at the beginning and save Cusco until the end. Even a few nights at the (relatively) lower elevations will help you a bit when you get to Cusco.

We live at about 7,000 ft. and even we would need to be careful in Cusco.

Altitude sickness can happen at anytime!

Even acclamation for several days prior to climb.

We are avide hikers and have done Mt. Whitney several times.

First time we did a climb took us 22 hrs. Up and back in one day with altitude sickness at 14,950 ft. Not a good experience even for experienced climbers.

We have also stayed at base camp at 10,000 ft. To acclimate and was fine but even with that is a hit and miss.

We will be doing Machu and will stay a week prior and then taking the train.

Our friend came back from there and said the coco tea did not help, and bed rest was in order.

Still what an adventure you will have!

Please let us know on CC how everything went.

The Indeginous people are said to be so wonderful.

Denise:)

Our physician prescribed us medication and along with cocoa leaf tea; we had no problems other than we got winded when walking up and down hills.

That being said we saw others who were having side effects from being at high altitude. It affects everyone differently but one should experience this beautiful country at least once.

Edited by aliaschief

It effects everyone differently. My DH wasn't bothered but I had insomnia! Probably from the coco leaves! If you get it it only last a short time. One member of our tour group came down with it. The doctors in Cuzco know how to take care of the problem. Machu Pichhu is the most amazing place I've ever been. Do it before you can't. We were in our 50's when we did it...couldn't do it now even though we're in much better shape.

My wife is really concerned about altitude sickness. How much of a problem is this? What percentage of visitors to Cusco experience this problem.

I visited Cusco and Machu Picchu in 1978 before the Agua Caliente town existed. I was that many years younger and thought I was going to not survive the night after the train ride back to Cusco. I would NOT visit there again at this age, 67, regardless of stamina at sea level. The leaf tea was marginally effective on me. All I wanted was Oxygen.

The terrain there is not even so walking can be perilous also.

This was a fabulous adventure and I am glad I did it when I did however please think seriously about your pulmonary and legs before deciding if you are over 30 years old.

Susan

We were in Cuzco, Machu Pichu and the Sacred Valley for 7 days this spring. There were people who stopped taking their medication due to the sevier side effects. Coco tea and other local remedies seemed to keep the entire group from having altitude sickness. Drink lots of water!

I went to Cusco when I was 20 something and quite fit and felt like my legs were made of lead. I had to stop and lean on every street lamp we passed. Can't say the coco tea did much. I would definitely recommend taking meds with you and don't plan a very vigorous touring itinerary!! I was traveling with a 20 something friend who was effected about as much as I was and her 78 year old great aunt who was not bothered a bit. She ran circles around us. It was a bit embarrassing. 30 years later we still laugh about it.

Might be a good idea to see a travel physician before you travel. By the way we took a 6 day post cruise tour with HAL a few years ago and had taken our altitude medication 24 hours before ascending from sea level to 11000 ft and were fine. A few people in our tour group became ill from the altitude.

Jim

When we did Cusco & Mucha Picchu, my husband bought the local remedy--soroche--at a pharmacy in La Paz. I couldn't take it because I'm allergic to one of the ingredients, so I took aspirin & caffeine pills.

We both did extremely well at high altitude [despite being poor physical specimens] with our respective medications and neither of us had trouble sleeping as long as we didn't dose ourselves after 6pm.

Agree with Mary Ellen's order of things. When we did this trip over Christmas 2013 we flew into Cuzco from Lima, but did not stay there. We immediately travelled to the Sacred Valley for an overnight before catching the train to Aguas Calientes, where we had another overnight and time in Machu Picchu. Then back to Cuzco, which is the highest altitude of the three, for two nights.

Neither of us had any issues. In Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu we didn't feel any effects at all. In Cuzco we just felt as if breathing was very slightly more of an effort. Nothing like on our trip to Lhasa in Tibet a few years ago, when we felt as if we had elephants sitting on our chests, particularly at night! We took no medication at all in any of these places, though we had gone prepared with Diamox from our doctor. Did not try the local remedies, but kept hydrated.

But altitude affects everyone differently, and there is no knowing how much it will affect you. Age and fitness seems to be irrelevant. If you have adverse effects take them very seriously!

We enjoyed our visit to Peru, and loved Cuzco and Machu Picchu. Worth doing once in your life if you can and are comfortable with the environment.

We were in Peru in June. Not on a cruise, but as a land vacation. If you can, take some more time. It is a gorgeous place.

We had zero effects from altitude sickness. Nothing. We hiked all over, but no issues at all in the Cusco, Urubamba or Manchu Picchu.

We also went to Puno which is at a much higher altitude, it was only noticeable hiking uphill. Even then, it wasn't more than breathing a bit heavier.

Everyone will have a different reaction.

We did not got to Cusco or Machu Picchu on advice of our primary doctor. The people on our cruise that went said that about 50% of the participants had altitude sickness and about 20% of the ones that got altitude sickness were so sick in Cusco they could not go on to Machu Picchu.

Edited by lazey1

As others have said, the altitude affects everyone differently. Take your age and physical health into consideration. It's a very tiring, but amazing trip. I went to Cuzco and MP two years ago as part of a 3-day excursion on my cruise. I am in my 30s and very fit and I got altitude sickness very badly in Cuzco - headache, insomnia, nausea. My partner who is the same age/physical shape was fine. Many of the others on our tour, all who were considerably older, struggled with breathing problems. But not one of us on the tour would have missed it for the world.

Michael

The only symptom of altitude sickness I had in the Machu Picchu area was a headache and some alleve dealt with that. We hiked up to the Gate of the Sun with no problems.

On our way to Colca Canyon we went through a pass at 16,000 feet and I either passed out or fell asleep in the car on the way there. On the way back, no problems.

I was in my mid sixties. Clearly, folks are affected differently.

Edited by Viv0828

We took Diamox for Lhasa (12,000') with no ill effects and hope to do the same for a land trip to Peru next year. Planning on acclimatizing in Sacred Valley, then MP and FINALLY Cusco (11,151). Hope to tack on Puno/Lake Titicaca (12,556') at the end.

Talk to a travel doctor and not just your primary if you have concerns and really want to do this trip.

I went to Machu Picchu twice in my mid and late 60s. Once on a post cruise trip and once as part of a land trip to Peru - the upper Amazon and then Machu Picchu. One of the best trips of our travels. I was in OK physical shape, not great shape. I had NO PROBLEMS at all, although in Cusco going up 6 steps felt more like 1+ flights in terms of energy I just went slowly.

I carefully followed the directions and suggestions of our local guides and drank lots of Coco tea. At high altitudes and drying air staying hydrated is critical so it might as well be coco tea along with additional water. Both times on our arrival at Cusco it was suggested, and we did follow this, that we lie down on our beds for 2 hours. We did not need to sleep, but to stay prone for the full two hours. We did this as well. So, exactly what helped - do not know. (Oh, also the guides advised against taking any special medications other than the coco tea - forgot why.)

On both trips, only two incidents occurred - both on the post cruise trip. One woman did not even make it into the airport - she collapsed against the wall of the airport as we walk from the plane. She was sent back on the next plane. The other was a man who had altitude sickness in the hotel and had to stay there under doctors care while we went to Machu Picchu. Well, according to his wife she said - I begged him not to come here - he had Open Heart Surgery a month ago. (Talk about a stupid idea - he was sure he would be fine. Lucky he did not have a more serious outcome.)

So GO, heed your body's messages and your Guides instructions!

My husband and son went for 5 days and were told to go directly to the Sacred Valley (Sol y Luna Hotel was fabulous) and stay there two nights, then they went to Machu Pichu (Sanctuary Lodge was worth every penny they said to stay basically inside the park so they were last out and first in)...THEN they returned to Cuzco for a couple of nights and by then were more acclimated.

My husband is a doctor and they DID take Diamox and it worked well.

Machu Picchu has no handrails on steep stairs he said (one reason why I couldn't go.)

They felt the Sacred Valley was at least as interesting as Machu Picchu.

I was young, healthy, and didn't think I had anything to worry about, but the altitude sickness made me absolutely miserable. I started feeling sick the moment they opened the airplane door. The coca tea tasted awful and didn't seem to be enough help. On the second day, a family member who brought extra Diamox persuaded me to start taking it. I don't think I could have gotten through the rest of our stay in Cusco without it.

My wife and I are planning on taking a Holland America cruise that ends in Lima, Peru. I would to take an extra 4-6 days too explore Cusco, the Sacred Valley and especially Mucha Picchu.

Do the prescription medications help along with the local coco tea and rest?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

I did exactly this trip in April. Cusco is ~11,500 feet; Agaus Calientes is ~ 7500 feet, so not likely to be a problem; Machu Picchu is ~9000 feet. The only time I really noticed the altitude was in Cusco. I found when walking around I had to pause and take a few deep breaths every 10 minutes or so. Didn't feel sick at all, but did have some minor insomnia. I didn't feel this way in the Sacred Valley or Aguas Calientes.

What I did notice was that when I arrived back at Lima and sea level, within half an hour I was feeling more alert and refreshed. I then realized that while in Cusco I was feeling quite dull, like you feel at the end of a long, tiring day.

Some people in our group of 11 had been taking the prescribed medication, but most of them stopped because of the side effects. No one got significantly sick. The hotels sell canisters of oxygen if you need a shot, but I didn't see anyone using them.

The trip was outstanding. Don't miss it because of concerns over altitude sickness. There is a risk, but it's worth it in my mind.

Hope that helps.

Once we spent the night at the Titicaca lake, and I went to the reception during the night to get a few minutes of oxygen.

While trying to sleep my heart kept beating like I just rushed up a stairs. Someone in in our tour group, not aware these symptoms can come from height had a very scary night, as he was afraid he was getting a heart attack of some sort.

These 5 minutes oxygen literally put me to rest :)

Apart from that I took some paracetamol (acetaminophen) against the headache. I did not have the impression the Coca tea had any effect.

Unless you have serious health issues I would not let the above scare you, as the trip (especially Machu Picchu) is well worth these minor discomforts.

My husband and son went for 5 days and were told to go directly to the Sacred Valley (Sol y Luna Hotel was fabulous) and stay there two nights, then they went to Machu Pichu (Sanctuary Lodge was worth every penny they said to stay basically inside the park so they were last out and first in)...THEN they returned to Cuzco for a couple of nights and by then were more acclimated.

My husband is a doctor and they DID take Diamox and it worked well.

Machu Picchu has no handrails on steep stairs he said (one reason why I couldn't go.)

They felt the Sacred Valley was at least as interesting as Machu Picchu.

Great advice Jan - especially about the properties we are considering for next year. We too were happy we chose to take Diamox when in Tibet and will do so again. Thank you.:)

Edited by Queen of DaNile
clarity

My wife and I are in our early 80's and by no means physically active. Peru and Machu Piccu had been on our bucket list for quite a number of years, but because of some people's suggestions/comments (Altitude Sickness) we kept postponing the trip.

Over a number of years my 'Peru file' kept getting bulkier, but I kept returning to it and doing more research.

Finally, at the beginning of last year (2014), we decided to ignore the naysayers and decided to plan the trip.

Using "TripAdvisor" we sought out an Cuzco agency to help plan an independent tour. After many emails, back and forth, making sure to make it clear with the agency our ages, not being able to climb many stairs and walk too far, adjusting the itinerary a number of times, we finalized trip for September 2014. All transportation, hotels, some lunches, train reservations, tickets to various sites etc were prearranged and booked by the agency.

After our flights from Miami and Lima, we were met on arrival at the airport in Cuzco by our guide (for much of our trip) and a driver, with a van type vehicle, which, by the way, was oxygen equipped.

We spent 3 nights visiting areas in the Sacred Valley, getting acclimatized to the elevation, before taking the train up to Calientes, where we were met by another guide. He took us to our hotel (2 nights), helped us check-in etc. The following day, he picked us up at our hotel and spent the day with us, at one of the high-lights of the trip - Machu Picchu. Our guide knew exactly where to take us at the site, which avoided long walking distances and climbing lots of stairs, but still saw the most beautiful areas. We were amazed to see a number of people in wheelchairs at the site.

The following day we took the train back to Ollyantambo (Sacred Valley), where we were met by our original guide and driver and driven to Cuzco, where we spent another 3 nights visiting that city and area.

From Cuzco our trip continued by train to Puno (for 2 nights), met again by a local guide, a boat ride on Lake Titticaca.......bus to Colca Canyon (guide), a night's stay.....continued on to Arequipa (guide) 2 nights.....then flight back to Lima and onto Miami. Just short of a 3 week trip.

Were we affected by Altitude Sickness? Yes, but only for slight headaches, shortness of breath, lack of appetite and not wanting to walk too far. Did we take any kind of medication? No. Were we sorry we did the trip? Definitely not, it was one of the best trips that we have made - and we've done a lot. Any advice to others? Take the time "to smell the roses", take it easy, don't attempt to do too much in a short period of time and spend a lot of time planning.

We went on the HAL pre-cruise to Machu Piccu. The hotel in Cuzco had oxygen piped in each room, however it was not working properly on our first night. We had cocao in every form possible. I had the worst headache and difficulty breathing and was up all night. My husband had fewer problems. We did the prophylactic medications recommended, but it didn't seem to help. Seems the women were more affected than the men in our group of 8.

When we got into the van to go to Machu Piccu, our guide recognized how miserable I was and gave me, and others the oxygen can he carried for such purposes. A few puffs had me feeling much better. The day was amazing and well worth the trip. On the second night, the hotel oxygen was working properly. We were all fine. This trip was well worth the discomfort.

If you get a chance, stay in Cuzco an extra day to get acclimated prior to going to Machu Piccu which is actually at lower altitude than Cuzco.

Enjoy your trip.