What not to miss - Celebrity Equinox

ERIN123

In November I will be going on my second cruise, and on the same ship as I was on in 2011, Celebrity Equinox. It's exciting this time as last time I was with a family member, but as I've since married I'll be with my husband, and this is his first cruise.

I loved the Equinox and was very busy seeing the ship and trying to take advantage of what was provided, however, I'm sure there were lots of things I missed and would love to see. I'd like my husband to see the same things I did plus add a few more I may have missed.

Can you tell me if there are any "must do's" aboard the ship? Places to see, nice places to take in the view, things to do, happy hour specials, special events? What did you enjoy that others might not know about.

Thanks for your input! :)

We have sailed Equinox twice and have also completed several other Celebrity cruises.

First point of 'must do' is first night. Book into Tuscan Grill'. Ask for a window seat and arrange your dining time about one hour after set sail. I will not say more but you will not regret it. This is a general pointer for all S class ships.

One second reference is to Silk Harvest. They provide a laid back dining aexperience across the fleet but on Equinox we found them to be really customer focused. We booked late but the manager still came out to apologise for not giving us better seating (nothing wrong with where we sat). The somalier was outstanding recommending wines and saki in our premium package with a smile and a real effort to make our night special. When we booked a second visit we were welcomed like long lost family.

I would add that on this cruise we also had great service in Luminae and Murano's. No complaints at all.

Have a great cruise!

We have sailed Equinox twice and have also completed several other Celebrity cruises.

First point of 'must do' is first night. Book into Tuscan Grill'. Ask for a window seat and arrange your dining time about one hour after set sail. I will not say more but you will not regret it. This is a general pointer for all S class ships.

One second reference is to Silk Harvest. They provide a laid back dining aexperience across the fleet but on Equinox we found them to be really customer focused. We booked late but the manager still came out to apologise for not giving us better seating (nothing wrong with where we sat). The somalier was outstanding recommending wines and saki in our premium package with a smile and a real effort to make our night special. When we booked a second visit we were welcomed like long lost family.

I would add that on this cruise we also had great service in Luminae and Murano's. No complaints at all.

Have a great cruise!

That sounds lovely! I did not go to any Specialty Dining restaurants on my last cruise so will love trying one for the first time with hubby.

I have sailed twice on the Equinox...love that ship...once in the Med and once in the Caribbean, ...and sitting on the lawn before sunset, listening to a guitarist play and enjoying a glass of wine was just so wonderful and what I think being a cruise is all about for me....plus the lighting at sunset makes for some beautiful pics...enjoy your cruise!

Try all the specialty restaurants. Sit up in the Relaxation Room to read and watch the great view.

Go to some of the lectures. Do the late-night comedy if it's on the ship.

Have a chocolate martini at the martini bar and engage in conversation with lots of people.

We have found cruisers to be the friendliest ever and even though we travel just the two of us, we make friends on every cruise.

Get on your Roll Call here and see what everyone is doing. Some of your best days ever could be with some great independent excursions that you arrange beforehand.

We did the 11 day route your sailing last Nov, and are getting off the 10 day cruise, as you get on.

Don't know if you or the hubby are fans of Craft Beer, but the new, well, now over 2 years old, GastroBar has a great selection of craft beer. TV's to watch all the College and NFL games on too.

A second for going to Silk Harvest, we had a group of 12 last yr and it was great. We also went to Murano & Tuscan 2 times each, and they are equally wonderful.

At 5:30 every evening, the sushi is set out in the Oceanview buffet. Grab some and head out the back door to the bar when you can sit and watch the wake and listen to the waves as you sail out of port. The Sunsets across the water are breath taking!

Most night there will be a great jazz group playing in the Ensemble Lounge away from the hustle and bustle of the Martini Bar!:eek: But you have to go just to watch the bartenders put on their show! Just last month one poured 40 martinis at once!

I could go on an on an on an on an on~~~~~~~:D

Have a great cruise!

EW

Your already getting great advice so I will stick to the basics. The most important DO on any cruise is to NOT miss the ship! :eek: It ruins everything.

There is always so much to do and take in on a cruise. Even though we have done over 20 cruises now, it never gets old. I enjoy them just as much today as our first one.

They relax me and make me smile. Another thing that makes me smile is seeing the reactions of 1st time cruisers, young and old. It's fun to watch them as they see and experience all that the ship has to offer.

In November I will be going on my second cruise, and on the same ship as I was on in 2011, Celebrity Equinox. It's exciting this time as last time I was with a family member, but as I've since married I'll be with my husband, and this is his first cruise.

I loved the Equinox and was very busy seeing the ship and trying to take advantage of what was provided, however, I'm sure there were lots of things I missed and would love to see. I'd like my husband to see the same things I did plus add a few more I may have missed.

Can you tell me if there are any "must do's" aboard the ship? Places to see, nice places to take in the view, things to do, happy hour specials, special events? What did you enjoy that others might not know about.

Thanks for your input! :)

Hi Erin,

We'll be cruising together in November. Last year we sailed the same ship to different Caribbean ports. Loved the Equinox so much that we booked it again. Hope to meet you at Sailaway in the Sunset Bar or at our Meet N Greet.

Fabulous memories of the Martini Bar before dinner nightly...don't miss this one!

Loved the ease of Select Dining and drink package (I kept Classic/Tom upgraded onboard to Premium for martini's.)

Loved the dancing poolside (similar to zumba). They had zumba (for a fee) in the fitness area, but I love dancing outside so didn't attend.

Enjoyed the tour of kitchen with champagne served at tables beforehand while various employees were introduced (no charge)

The tour of specialty restaurants was interesting and I seem to remember free, small drinks being served in the vicinity. We ate at Tuscan Grille later, but decided MDR food was good and didn't warrant our going there again this year.

Good selection of books in library and no need to sign them in and out.

No need to sign pool towels in and out.

Enjoyed the DJ in Quasar and the other nightclub (don't remember name).

The made to order Caesar salad with availability of anchovies in buffet.

Hamburgers and beer at Mast Grill were good...Nice to grab a decent bite while poolside. Our favorite place on embarkation day after taking a walking tour of ship.

Thoroughly enjoyed the show in the lobby...don't remember the name...but lots of great music and fantastic costumes....Seem to remember masks on performers. Dancing afterward.

Fitness Center was nice.

Things we missed having:

Piano Bar, especially with dueling pianos

Better entertainment...We thought many of the shows were a bit "hokey"

More pizazz at first sailaway on deck. There were only 2 couples dancing and the band was very "blah".

See our Roll Call for excursions for this year. The only thing we've not settled on is something to do in Colon. Tom wants to see the locks......I'm not thrilled. Thinking of the Kayak trip plus locks from Celebrity. Usually take private excursions, but feel safer with a Celebrity excursion in Colon.

Barbara & Tom

When you go to the OceanView for lunch, make your first stop the ice cream counter so you can plan your meal accordingly!! The flavors change daily and they are amazing! No need at all to pay for the gelateria on Deck 5 IMHO. And remember that the treats in the case at Cafe al Bacio are free; just the specialty coffees and teas are a charge. You can get something to eat there or get it to take back to your cabin.

Both those tips are true for all Celebrity ships.

I like your method of planning!

However, remember also that the gelato is REALLY good compared to the ice cream so you may want budget in a few dollars and go there late afternoon/early evening for the buy one get one free offer........times noted on card in Gelateria...........also 2 scoops are the same price as one last time we were aboard last January.

Also we love the Hot Glass shows on the 3 S class ships that have them and Equinox in Jan. will round out our viewing these on the other 2 ships. We have quite a collection started with items made on the ship that we won at the raffles held periodically during the cruise when the demonstrations are ending........and we now know several of the gaffers..........as the glassblowers are called.

When you go to the OceanView for lunch, make your first stop the ice cream counter so you can plan your meal accordingly!! The flavors change daily and they are amazing! No need at all to pay for the gelateria on Deck 5 IMHO. And remember that the treats in the case at Cafe al Bacio are free; just the specialty coffees and teas are a charge. You can get something to eat there or get it to take back to your cabin.

Both those tips are true for all Celebrity ships.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

We had our first Celebrity Equinox cruise last April and one of the things that we still talk about was the wine and cheese party on the lawn at sail away time from one of the ports. (can't remember which one. I think it was St. Martin) They supply you with a blanket, a little table to put your glass on and a tray of cheese and crackers. There was an entertainer playing the guitar while you sit and relax, sip your wine and watch the sunset as you sail away. Awesome.

These sound amazing...especially the wine and cheese picnic!

Glad theres no piano bar on her, I have an aversion to piano bars.

The Ensemble Lounge is where the big ole Baby Grand is at! And last Nov there was an absolute wonder of a young Lady in her late 20'ties that was a Van Cliburn International Piano Competition finalist! We could barley see her head, but got chill bumps from the smooth power when she tickled the ivory's!

The Ensemble Lounge is where the big ole Baby Grand is at! And last Nov there was an absolute wonder of a young Lady in her late 20'ties that was a Van Cliburn International Piano Competition finalist! We could barley see her head, but got chill bumps from the smooth power when she tickled the ivory's!

Oh I love piano music its just the singing round piano bar style that is off putting :).

Similarly I am not big on Karaoke.

• 2 weeks later...

What a great thread! I wish I had been able to read it before getting on board. We got off her in Athens a couple of weeks ago. It was an awesome cruise. There is so much to do and explore onboard and we only scratched the surface.

I did not do too much special stuff (well the whole thing was special). I was glad I paid for a day 1 massage. It was fantastic. Worth every penny. We also did the behind the scenes tour ($$$) but it was great except for a couple of know it all passengers that had to try to spoil the tour with stupid, self-gratifying questions. It was still quite cool.

There are just so many little spots on board that you could get lost in that we just didn't have time to explore. Like I said, I wish this thread was active before we left. But then again, I have absolutely no complaints about the cruise!

We were on the Equinox in March and had a great time. Here is my top 10 things not-to-miss:

1) The Hot Glass Show.

2) The Mast Grill.

3) The Tuscan Grille.

4) Café al Bacio

5) The Fitness Centre. After the first 4 suggestions, I thought a little exercise was in order.

6) Sitting in the Sky Observation Lounge on a sea day, enjoying the majestic view.

7) The Slush Bar.

8 The Gastrobar.

9) The Sunset Bar.

10) The Ensemble Lounge.

I hope you enjoy your cruise ERIN123!

I'm an early riser so one of my favorite things to do is reading a good book on my balcony, cold drink in hand and watching the sunrise. Priceless!

(and no I'm not a total boozer but you will have to just try it and see, lol)