What to wear on formal nights

Why should passengers be "encouraged" to dress up?

Thank you for exposing I put my stated sentiments badly.

There is no need to "encourage" those who like to dress up, they will simply dress up because they like to. Identifying some nights as Gala welcomes this dress-up activity as an occasional expression, because it does not need to be "encouraged".

You are very correct pointing out this prior semantic mismatch. Gala Night - Black Tie optional.

Was the food better in that dining room? I wonder why those that didn't dress up felt compelled to go there.

Originally, the Quantum ships employed the Dynamic Dining concept where passengers rotated through four different dining rooms. One of the rooms was always formal and had a distinct menu. At least once, perhaps twice, on a seven day cruise, the formal dining room was your assigned room.

Dynamic Dining was not well received and was replaced.

Still, that report illustrated the folly of formal dining.

How did does carrying a jacket on your arm make for a better dining experience?

Some men remove their jackets while dining. How does a jacket hanging on a chair improve the dining experience?

There is no need to "encourage" those who like to dress up, they will simply dress up because they like to. Identifying some nights as Gala welcomes this dress-up activity as an occasional expression, because it does not need to be "encouraged".

You are very correct pointing out this prior semantic mismatch. Gala Night - Black Tie optional.

Those wearing nice clothes have always been welcome in the MDR. So what's the point of Gala Nights?

Nowhere does HAL say "Black Tie optional".

Some men remove their jackets while dining. How does a jacket hanging on a chair improve the dining experience?

It doesn't.

Originally, the Quantum ships employed the Dynamic Dining concept where passengers rotated through four different dining rooms. One of the rooms was always formal and had a distinct menu. At least once, perhaps twice, on a seven day cruise, the formal dining room was your assigned room.

Dynamic Dining was not well received and was replaced.

It doesn't. I really wish Hal would end gala nights. I have found for me it's the worst menu of the week. Hal used to have a rack of men's jackets for formal nights when the nights were called that. The men I saw were wearing the loaner jackets. I do wear " gala" attire but I can't say that I enjoy it. Years ago I did enjoy it but those days are gone for me.

You're making a rookie mistake. You can't just schlep the jacket. You have to wear it. A blue blazer improves your dining experience by around 25%. A Harris Tweed jacket does the same thing, but if your sport coat has suede elbow patches, the dinner enjoyment jumps to almost 32%. Tuxedo jackets boost your meal time happiness by at least 50%, with the biggest bump coming from peaked lapels. (Shawl collars come in a close second.)

If you really aspire to evening meal happy-happy joy-joy, you need to learn how to tie your own bow tie. I thought that this was common knowledge.

You're making a rookie mistake. You can't just schlep the jacket. You have to wear it. A blue blazer improves your dining experience by around 25%. A Harris Tweed jacket does the same thing, but if your sport coat has suede elbow patches, the dinner enjoyment jumps to almost 32%. Tuxedo jackets boost your meal time happiness by at least 50%, with the biggest bump coming from peaked lapels. (Shawl collars come in a close second.)

If you really aspire to evening meal happy-happy joy-joy, you need to learn how to tie your own bow tie. I thought that this was common knowledge.

But what about women? How to I up my meal-time experience using clothes? ;p

But what about women? How to I up my meal-time experience using clothes? ;p

From what I understand, it's all shoes, purses and jewelry. It used to be hats, but they don't work as well inside a ship. Too much metal.

Love this HAL thread. Funny and witty posts and good people. The same discussion on Princess or Celebrity would have me popping popcorn to watch the fight.

If you dress up, the popcorn will taste better. A simple pocket square will make your popcorn just like the hot buttered stuff from an old timey movie theater. A cummerbund will make it into caramel corn.

Obviously, it isn't common knowledge. Perhaps you should compose a 'sticky'?

If you dress up, the popcorn will taste better. A simple pocket square will make your popcorn just like the hot buttered stuff from an old timey movie theater. A cummerbund will make it into caramel corn.

Which wines do you recommend for popcorn? Perhaps a merlot for the buttered popcorn? I confess, I'm at a loss for what would go best with the caramel?

Edited by RocketMan275

Love this HAL thread. Funny and witty posts and good people. The same discussion on Princess or Celebrity would have me popping popcorn to watch the fight.

JMHO, but I thought Celebrity had the best formal wear threads. I particularly enjoyed the post by the passenger who scheduled a meeting on the second cruise day with the matre-d to review his understanding of the dress code and the passengers expectations.

Obviously, it isn't common knowledge. Perhaps you should compose a 'sticky'?

I disagree. There are already too many stickies. Can we agree that "too many stickies" is common knowledge?

Which wines do you recommend for popcorn? Perhaps a merlot for the buttered popcorn? I confess, I'm at a loss for what would go best with the caramel?

Riesling with the caramel corn. (Normal Riesling, in the Alsatian style, not the sweet rieslings.) The acid will work nicely with the sweetness.

Wine Spectator recommends a Chardonnay with a decent amount of malolactic fermentation, which gives the wine that buttery taste. I'd rather have a beer with my popcorn.

Better take a well calibrated thermometer with you to the MDR if you are wearing a jacket.

It may seem warm, you may be uncomfortable but that could be a misperception. The temperature could be within HAL guidelines and you will therefore have no reason to remove your jacket. Once you see that the temp is in range you will no longer feel uncomfortable.

Better take a well calibrated thermometer with you to the MDR if you are wearing a jacket.

It may seem warm, you may be uncomfortable but that could be a misperception. The temperature could be within HAL guidelines and you will therefore have no reason to remove your jacket. Once you see that the temp is in range you will no longer feel uncomfortable.

+10000000000...

I always have the popcorn at the ready for any HAL thread... I know champagne is best for french fries - I wonder if that would translate over to just salted popcorn? I thought an oak'd Chard would go with generic buttered popcorn. What about those new-fangled combos for popcorn, like truffle butter, curry, 3 cheese, dill pickle?? Or, are they too "entertaining" for HAL folk, who like it to be kept to the same traditional Land O' Lakes butter and salt popcorn that has been served for years? If they allow these new combos, will it downgrade the traditional offering?

Alsatian Riesling? Only when I like the faint taste of gasoline in my wine ;)

We have been on many HAL cruises and find that on Gala nights and in the Pinnacle that a jacket is required for men. If you don't wear one you may be asked to do so. On Seabourn cruises that is definitely the case

You resurrected a 2-year-old thread. Jackets are no longer required on Gala nights. ;)

+10000000000...

I always have the popcorn at the ready for any HAL thread... I know champagne is best for french fries - I wonder if that would translate over to just salted popcorn? I thought an oak'd Chard would go with generic buttered popcorn. What about those new-fangled combos for popcorn, like truffle butter, curry, 3 cheese, dill pickle?? Or, are they too "entertaining" for HAL folk, who like it to be kept to the same traditional Land O' Lakes butter and salt popcorn that has been served for years? If they allow these new combos, will it downgrade the traditional offering?

Alsatian Riesling? Only when I like the faint taste of gasoline in my wine ;)

When in doubt, I pour another Knob Creek.

for me just nice capris, or I have simple black palazzo pants ( I call them my "buffet" pants since they have a comfy elastic waist band:D) and a nice top, dress it up with some colourful or sparkly jewelry. For my companion dress pants or nice khakis and a nice shirt, with or without a tie, sometimes he brings a jacket, most times not.

I don't own fancy clothes, have no need for them. Neither does he. Some day I may, hopefully, need a nice dress for a grand childs wedding, then I would bing that.

I love seeing people dressed up in gowns and tuxes. Yes, for heavens sake, bring them and wear them, if that is your thing, but it is not for me. I have never been turned away from any dining area, neither has my companion.

Just look decent, wear what you are comfortable in. Don't worry about what others may think. Enjoy your vacation!

The only thing that bugs me is seeting men wear ball caps to dinner, anywhere.

There is no doubt about it. It's hard to keep it under 50. I used to bring 2 suitcases on a 14 day cruise plus a tiny carry on. That all changed when my luggage got lost. Now I take one suitcase and a roller board but I manage to take formal clothes and not a sparkly top and pants. I find for some it's just an excuse not to do formal.

I agree. My formal clothes weight less than my casual clothes because the fabrics are usually lighter. And my DH's tux is a a lighter weight than a regular suit or pants and jacket. If one doesn't want to dress up, I understand. But an excuse that formal clothes are too heavy doesn't make it.