Ultimate Drink Pkg: summertime promotion questions

I am considering the Ultimate Package for my upcoming Indy cruise, for the alcoholic beverages, of course. But also because the description currently reads, "For a limited time only, join us in celebrating summertime with Coca Cola. When you buy an Ultimate Beverage Package, you will receive a complimentary Royal Refreshment package and an additional Coca Cola souvenir cup to share with a friend." According to the descriptions, the Ultimate pkg is the Premium and Royal Refreshment pkgs combined. So the math comes out nearly the same, I was originally planning to buy the Prem for me and the RR for my companion: 1 Prem pkg ($343) + 1 RR pkg ($46) = $389 which is close to Ult pkg cost of $385 (7nt sailing, figures do not incl grats). Of course, the Ult pkg includes bottled water (and fresh OJ, premium teas and coffee, etc), so it seems a bit of a deal with this promotion -- IF I am understanding everything correctly.

Now, for my questions. First, am I understanding the above wording correctly... that my Ultimate pkg includes soda for me, PLUS my traveling companion gets his own Royal Refreshment package added to his account? (I would call RCI to ask this but, unfortunately, I cannot count on cust serv giving me accurate info.) In case it's not clear, I'm looking for a legit plan, no sharing or cheating. My second question... where do I get the bottled water that comes with the Ultimate pkg? I *think* I read some place that it's NOT from the cabin mini bar where bottles are often in the frig or on the vanity.

I'd appreciate any clarification those in-the-know might have -- thanks!

...Now, for my questions. First, am I understanding the above wording correctly... that my Ultimate pkg includes soda for me, PLUS my traveling companion gets his own Royal Refreshment package added to his account? (I would call RCI to ask this but, unfortunately, I cannot count on cust serv giving me accurate info.) In case it's not clear, I'm looking for a legit plan, no sharing or cheating. My second question... where do I get the bottled water that comes with the Ultimate pkg? I *think* I read some place that it's NOT from the cabin mini bar where bottles are often in the frig or on the vanity.

Correct, you both get soda as part of your packages. Bottled water can be obtained at any bar or restaurant.

I haven't looked at the promotion lately, but if it's the same as last month, I think you are reading it incorrectly (as I and many others did at first). They aren't offering the package with the non-alcoholic beverages, they're only offering the soda package. If you were planning to buy the premium to begin with, then this is not a deal, since the soda package is Only $6.50/day. Sure, you get two of them, but do you have two people in your party who want the soda package? If not, I'd just buy the packages you originally planned.

Of course, I say this without checking to see if the promotion has changed :)

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I haven't looked at the promotion lately, but if it's the same as last month, I think you are reading it incorrectly (as I and many others did at first). They aren't offering the package with the non-alcoholic beverages, they're only offering the soda package. If you were planning to buy the premium to begin with, then this is not a deal, since the soda package is Only $6.50/day. Sure, you get two of them, but do you have two people in your party who want the soda package? If not, I'd just buy the packages you originally planned.

Of course, I say this without checking to see if the promotion has changed :)

*EDIT: maybe I misread your post: it sounds like you were expecting the package that is just the soda (and not the replenish package that has the non alcoholic drinks too). However, I still don't think it's a great deal, since the ultimate package is around $10/day more (I think...I'm estimating) and the soda package is $6.50/day, after taxes you're actually paying more money than you originally planned to spend. If you like the added benefits and you have someone else to give the extra soda cup to, I suppose it's worth it, but it sounds like a convenient upsell by Royal to people who had planned on buying a cheaper package to begin with.

I am considering the Ultimate Package for my upcoming Indy cruise, for the alcoholic beverages, of course. But also because the description currently reads, "For a limited time only, join us in celebrating summertime with Coca Cola. When you buy an Ultimate Beverage Package, you will receive a complimentary Royal Refreshment package and an additional Coca Cola souvenir cup to share with a friend." According to the descriptions, the Ultimate pkg is the Premium and Royal Refreshment pkgs combined. So the math comes out nearly the same, I was originally planning to buy the Prem for me and the RR for my companion: 1 Prem pkg ($343) + 1 RR pkg ($46) = $389 which is close to Ult pkg cost of $385 (7nt sailing, figures do not incl grats). Of course, the Ult pkg includes bottled water (and fresh OJ, premium teas and coffee, etc), so it seems a bit of a deal with this promotion -- IF I am understanding everything correctly.

Now, for my questions. First, am I understanding the above wording correctly... that my Ultimate pkg includes soda for me, PLUS my traveling companion gets his own Royal Refreshment package added to his account? (I would call RCI to ask this but, unfortunately, I cannot count on cust serv giving me accurate info.) In case it's not clear, I'm looking for a legit plan, no sharing or cheating. My second question... where do I get the bottled water that comes with the Ultimate pkg? I *think* I read some place that it's NOT from the cabin mini bar where bottles are often in the frig or on the vanity.

*EDIT: maybe I misread your post: it sounds like you were expecting the package that is just the soda (and not the replenish package that has the non alcoholic drinks too). However, I still don't think it's a great deal, since the ultimate package is around $10/day more (I think...I'm estimating) and the soda package is $6.50/day, after taxes you're actually paying more money than you originally planned to spend. If you like the added benefits and you have someone else to give the extra soda cup to, I suppose it's worth it, but it sounds like a convenient upsell by Royal to people who had planned on buying a cheaper package to begin with.

You should reread the OP. The OP is traveling with a companion, so, yes, there are two people. The Ultimate package is not $10 more than the Premium, it is only $6 more. They were going to buy a premium and a refreshment for $389 but can get the Ultimate with a free refreshment for $385, it is not just a convenient upsell. Of course they need to add gratuity but they were going to have the same gratuity on the packages anyway.

To the OP, I would definitely go with the Ultimate in your case since you were going to spend the money anyway. This way, you get the bottled water and more.

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Edit to add: Make sure that the offer is good for the time period of your cruise. That offer had major issues with it when it first came out and the flyer has been changed multiple times.

Edited by reallyitsmema

You should reread the OP. The OP is traveling with a companion, so, yes, there are two people. The Ultimate package is not $10 more than the Premium, it is only $6 more. They were going to buy a premium and a refreshment for $389 but can get the Ultimate with a free refreshment for $385, it is not just a convenient upsell. Of course they need to add gratuity but they were going to have the same gratuity on the packages anyway.

To the OP, I would definitely go with the Ultimate in your case since you were going to spend the money anyway. This way, you get the bottled water and more.

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

I meant an extra as in a third person, for sharing that additional soda cup with (am I wrong that they are offering 2 soda packages with this deal?). It's a deal if you have 3 people (2 wanting the soda package) but otherwise saves you about $4. And that's if you Intended to buy the ultimate to begin with. If she was buying the premium and is upgrading to ultimate in order to get the soda package, she's spending more money than she planned (around $70 more) to get a soda package that would have cost about $50. I'm estimating my

Math but I still don't see the great value. Unless there's a third person to utilize the additional soda package. I guess. Idk. Originally I thought she was thinking she was getting the replenish package, which would make the calculations way off, but I re-read it and re-evaluated based on the fact that she knew it was a soda package, and while I see the math basically works out, it's still not much of a savings especially since she was originally planning to buy the premium package, not the ultimate.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I meant an extra as in a third person, for sharing that additional soda cup with (am I wrong that they are offering 2 soda packages with this deal?). It's a deal if you have 3 people (2 wanting the soda package) but otherwise saves you about $4. And that's if you Intended to buy the ultimate to begin with. If she was buying the premium and is upgrading to ultimate in order to get the soda package, she's spending more money than she planned (around $70 more) to get a soda package that would have cost about $50. I'm estimating my

Math but I still don't see the great value. Unless there's a third person to utilize the additional soda package. I guess. Idk. Originally I thought she was thinking she was getting the replenish package, which would make the calculations way off, but I re-read it and re-evaluated based on the fact that she knew it was a soda package, and while I see the math basically works out, it's still not much of a savings especially since she was originally planning to buy the premium package, not the ultimate.

If she buys the Ultimate, she gets a free refreshment package. There is no third package. Look at the link with the packages, the OP is getting a lot more in her Ultimate Package for herself for a difference of $4.

If she buys the Ultimate, she gets a free refreshment package. There is no third package. Look at the link with the packages, the OP is getting a lot more in her Ultimate Package for herself for a difference of $4.

What do they mean by "and get an additional soda cup to give away?" That sounds like you get the ultimate package, plus a soda package, plus another soda cup to share.

Aside from that, Ok I can see that now. Because for $4 less she gets an increased package. My math was off. I looked at my cruise planner to double check prices which made me even more confused as my cruise planner has alcohol packages listed including the gratuity, but did not include the gratuity in the soda package, so I thought prices went up. And I think when I was doing my estimated math I was still adding in the soda price to the ultimate package which gave me the additional $40. Anyway, yeah this is a good deal if you were already buying a soda package with your premium package. If you had a 3rd person it would be a better deal still because of the extra soda cup (that I think comes with it?). I also just read that it comes with a bottle of champagne.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Yep, I did goof a little in what I originally said -- let me try to straighten it out.

My original plan was to buy 1 Prem pkg ($49/day x7 = $343) + 1 Royal Refreshment pkg ($6.50/day x7 = 45.50) = $388.50

Looks like the promotion is for the Ultimate pkg which, according to their description (and here's where I made the mistake), is a combination of the Premium and the Replenish (not Refreshment) pkgs. Both of the later include soda, which is the goal for pax #2, he doesn't care about the water and extras. Regardless, the Ult pkg is $55/day x7 = $385.... the promotion includes the complimentary second Ref pkg for a friend.

Since the total costs are so close (diff of $3.50), the gratuity and tax are going to be nearly the same as well, so that's not a factor in my decision.

I just wanted to make sure that I get all the benefits of the Ult pkg and my "friend" gets the full benefit of his complimentary Replenish pkg just as if we had bought the Prem and Ref pkgs separately.

AND I needed to know where to get water (thanks for that answer, clarea)...

One more question: will they allow me 2 or 3 bottles of water at a time to take ashore?? Or just 1 per person at a time?

Edited by Ren1216

Edit to add: Make sure that the offer is good for the time period of your cruise. That offer had major issues with it when it first came out and the flyer has been changed multiple times.

Ah ha! I did see an "offer valid for" time period... I thought I had to buy during that time, didn't occur to me that I had to cruise during that time. It's not clear, even in the fine print. Ugh. Well, that may have just nixed the whole plan :mad:

Edited by Ren1216

What do they mean by "and get an additional soda cup to give away?" That sounds like you get the ultimate package, plus a soda package, plus another soda cup to share.

That is not correct. This package has been discussed at length on CC and it is one free soda package with the purchase of an ultimate package

Ah ha! I did see an "offer valid for" time period... I thought I had to buy during that time, didn't occur to me that I had to cruise during that time. Ugh. That may have just nixed the whole plan :mad:

The original flyer said purchased in the offer period, the last flyer I saw was for sailings prior to 8/31/15. I have not gone looking for the newest flyer since they keep changing it.

I also think you typoed you last post, your friend will get a refreshment package, not a replenishment. That was the other major typo the cruise line made with this offer. Some places said refreshment, others said replenishment.

The original flyer said purchased in the offer period, the last flyer I saw was for sailings prior to 8/31/15. I have not gone looking for the newest flyer since they keep changing it.

I also think you typoed you last post, your friend will get a refreshment package, not a replenishment. That was the other major typo the cruise line made with this offer. Some places said refreshment, others said replenishment.

That's where my original confusion was too, I thought the cruise line was offering the more expensive (replenish) package for free but it's just the refreshment (soda) package.

Anyway, I still see that it shows TWO soda package. My cruise planner says buy an ultimate, get a refreshment package PLUS a soda cup to share. Doesn't that sound like two soda packages????

image.jpg.86f58cac9fd2b27927a7bf506ca26e35.jpg

That is not correct. This package has been discussed at length on CC and it is one free soda package with the purchase of an ultimate package

Here's why I'm interpreting it as 2 soda packages. Also my cruise planner says valid from June 15th to august 31st but it doesn't specify if it's valid for purchasing, or valid for sailing. My sailing is within this time period so it's offered in my cruise planner but who knows. I'll shut up now, lol.

image.jpg.8a2f89792cd80de31d1d46fdeb7a6daf.jpg

Sorry, my correction only added more confusion! The promotion is that the purchase of an Ultimate pkg will include a complimentary Refreshment pkg for a friend. (The general description of the Ultimate pkg is that it's a combination of the Premium and Replenish pkgs.) There!!

So... I am accessing this info on the RCI website. It is one of my beverage package choices when I am logged into my reservation. However, I know how these things work.... just because it is available for me to buy doesn't necessarily mean that it's applicable to my sailing which is outside of the specified dates. It's really not that hard to make things clear in your material, is it?!?! Simply state "you must purchase within these dates" -- or-- "promotion only valid for sailings within these dates". Good grief. They're banking on our confusion, eh?

Sorry, my correction only added more confusion! The promotion is that the purchase of an Ultimate pkg will include a complimentary Refreshment pkg for a friend. (The general description of the Ultimate pkg is that it's a combination of the Premium and Replenish pkgs.) There!!

So... I am accessing this info on the RCI website. It is one of my beverage package choices when I am logged into my reservation. However, I know how these things work.... just because it is available for me to buy doesn't necessarily mean that it's applicable to my sailing which is outside of the specified dates. It's really not that hard to make things clear in your material, is it?!?! Simply state "you must purchase within these dates" -- or-- "promotion only valid for sailings within these dates". Good grief. They're banking on our confusion, eh?

Their website isn't clear at all :( Not only does it not specify whether the dates are in regards to purchasing or sailing, mine also has inconsistent pricing (some packages include gratuity in the price listed and some do not). My *guess* is that of you can purchase it, you can have it on your sailing, but make sure as soon as you purchase that your receipt shows that you bought a package with the deal attached and if it doesn't say that (or if they don't give receipts or emails with details when buying packages), then I'd cancel it. You were just as happy to buy the premium and the refreshment separate, and it seems less risky money wise to just buy that and forgo the extra drinks in the ultimate package and the $4 savings and the possible soda cup for the third person (because I'm

Still reading my package offer as saying there's an extra soda cup). Ugh :/ but try buying it and see what you get for a receipt first.

...One more question: will they allow me 2 or 3 bottles of water at a time to take ashore?? Or just 1 per person at a time?

Usually one bottle at a time. Best to accumulate a few bottles before you go ashore.

Yep, I did goof a little in what I originally said -- let me try to straighten it out.

My original plan was to buy 1 Prem pkg ($49/day x7 = $343) + 1 Royal Refreshment pkg ($6.50/day x7 = 45.50) = $388.50

Looks like the promotion is for the Ultimate pkg which, according to their description (and here's where I made the mistake), is a combination of the Premium and the Replenish (not Refreshment) pkgs. Both of the later include soda, which is the goal for pax #2, he doesn't care about the water and extras. Regardless, the Ult pkg is $55/day x7 = $385.... the promotion includes the complimentary second Ref pkg for a friend.

Since the total costs are so close (diff of $3.50), the gratuity and tax are going to be nearly the same as well, so that's not a factor in my decision.

I just wanted to make sure that I get all the benefits of the Ult pkg and my "friend" gets the full benefit of his complimentary Replenish pkg just as if we had bought the Prem and Ref pkgs separately.

AND I needed to know where to get water (thanks for that answer, clarea)...

One more question: will they allow me 2 or 3 bottles of water at a time to take ashore?? Or just 1 per person at a time?

One bottle at a time, but you can order that one bottle every time you order a drink. I just stockpiled water bottles by getting a bottle each time I bought a drink.

Their website isn't clear at all :( Not only does it not specify whether the dates are in regards to purchasing or sailing, mine also has inconsistent pricing (some packages include gratuity in the price listed and some do not). My *guess* is that of you can purchase it, you can have it on your sailing, but make sure as soon as you purchase that your receipt shows that you bought a package with the deal attached and if it doesn't say that (or if they don't give receipts or emails with details when buying packages), then I'd cancel it. You were just as happy to buy the premium and the refreshment separate, and it seems less risky money wise to just buy that and forgo the extra drinks in the ultimate package and the $4 savings and the possible soda cup for the third person (because I'm

Still reading my package offer as saying there's an extra soda cup). Ugh :/ but try buying it and see what you get for a receipt first.

There are only two cups.

The ultimate comes with a soda cup. The royal refreshment comes with a soda cup. The bonus royal refreshment is the extra soda cup.

Edited by wreckem2013

Usually one bottle at a time. Best to accumulate a few bottles before you go ashore.

One bottle at a time, but you can order that one bottle every time you order a drink. I just stockpiled water bottles by getting a bottle each time I bought a drink.

Ah, smart. Thanks for that suggestion. Now that I have it mostly figured out, sure hope I can USE the promotion. Thanks to all for your input!

I was told when I rang that if you buy package before promotion expired it didn't matter when your cruise was it would be added. Also you don't get anything to say you have the extra soda package to give away that it would be listed once you boarded. One other thing you can only give package to someone in your booking.

I was told when I rang that if you buy package before promotion expired it didn't matter when your cruise was it would be added.

I was told just the opposite by the Crown & Anchor folks in the U.S. yesterday, that the promo applies only to sailings before the end date in August.

When I asked why it's then showing as an option in my Cruise Planner for me to buy for my upcoming cruise in October, they couldn't tell me, except to guess that if I tried to buy it on line, I probably couldn't. I haven't tested this, but if that's the case, it's as stupid as showing "Mamma Mia" as an option for me to reserve in my Cruise Planner on any ship on which it's NOT being performed.

Bottom line, as I think we all agree, is that the wording of the promotional material is ambiguous at best (and that's not even considering the epic fail on first release of promising a free Replenish pkg when they meant Refreshment pkg).

Writing clearly English is not difficult. Really shoddy performance by RCI.

Well I was just getting ready to thank matchboxgirl for the clarification until turtle06 posted, lol. What we need here is a lawyer who is willing to buy the package and then Challenge Royal when they get on board for baiting and switching, or whatever poor advertising strategy they're using to get people to purchase things they won't deliver. On the other hand, maybe they really are giving it to anyone who purchases between those dates.

It also doesn't say anything about being required to give the soda cup to someone in your booking. I don't know that they can enforce that though so it probably doesn't matter. And I'm still confused on whether it's two or three people getting drink packages. The picture I posted above shows the wording in my cruise planner and I don't think I'm off in thinking it's referring to 2 soda packages, but nobody else seems to think so, so I'm probably wrong, lol. I guess it doesn't matter because I'm not buying a drunk package at all.