Ultimate Drink Pkg: summertime promotion questions

I was told just the opposite by the Crown & Anchor folks in the U.S. yesterday, that the promo applies only to sailings before the end date in August.

When I asked why it's then showing as an option in my Cruise Planner for me to buy for my upcoming cruise in October, they couldn't tell me, except to guess that if I tried to buy it on line, I probably couldn't. I haven't tested this, but if that's the case, it's as stupid as showing "Mamma Mia" as an option for me to reserve in my Cruise Planner on any ship on which it's NOT being performed.

Bottom line, as I think we all agree, is that the wording of the promotional material is ambiguous at best (and that's not even considering the epic fail on first release of promising a free Replenish pkg when they meant Refreshment pkg).

Writing clearly English is not difficult. Really shoddy performance by RCI.

There is a huge thread about this promotion and you are correct that they will not honor the package for a sailing after August 31st. The only people that the cruise line has agreed to work with and compensate for the confusion, are people who bought the Ultimate package on June 15th, when the original flyer was available and when a cruise line rep on FB said they would get what the original flyer said.

Well I was just getting ready to thank matchboxgirl for the clarification until turtle06 posted, lol. What we need here is a lawyer who is willing to buy the package and then Challenge Royal when they get on board for baiting and switching, or whatever poor advertising strategy they're using to get people to purchase things they won't deliver. On the other hand, maybe they really are giving it to anyone who purchases between those dates.

It also doesn't say anything about being required to give the soda cup to someone in your booking. I don't know that they can enforce that though so it probably doesn't matter. And I'm still confused on whether it's two or three people getting drink packages. The picture I posted above shows the wording in my cruise planner and I don't think I'm off in thinking it's referring to 2 soda packages, but nobody else seems to think so, so I'm probably wrong, lol. I guess it doesn't matter because I'm not buying a drunk package at all.

Here is a link to the bait and switch discussion that Coloradogurl is now bringing up in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2217601&highlight=bait+and+switch

Here is a link to the bait and switch discussion that Coloradogurl is now bringing up in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2217601&highlight=bait+and+switch

Thanks (alrhough you seem to be sharing his with a lot of sarcasm and anger rather than to be helpful). Seems that if this was the same discussion happening last month, RCI has done a poor job of re-wording things because obviously people are still confused, and I'm sure the majority of them don't read cruise critic. They as a company should be responsible for making this more clear.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I was told when I rang that if you buy package before promotion expired it didn't matter when your cruise was it would be added. Also you don't get anything to say you have the extra soda package to give away that it would be listed once you boarded. One other thing you can only give package to someone in your booking.

I was told just the opposite by the Crown & Anchor folks in the U.S. yesterday, that the promo applies only to sailings before the end date in August.

And this is exactly why it's a waste of time to call RCI and ask about it. Even if I call my travel agent and have her look into it, she won't get reliable information when she calls RCI either. So frustrating!

I'll go read that other thread now, thanks for linking us to it. At this point, my bet is that the promotion only applies to sailings within the specified dates. So... guess I'll do what ColoradoGurl suggested and stick with my original plan. Bummer.

And this is exactly why it's a waste of time to call RCI and ask about it. Even if I call my travel agent and have her look into it, she won't get reliable information when she calls RCI either. So frustrating!

I'll go read that other thread now, thanks for linking us to it. At this point, my bet is that the promotion only applies to sailings within the specified dates. So... guess I'll do what ColoradoGurl suggested and stick with my original plan. Bummer.

I hadn't brought the other thread into this one because the bait and switch reference has to do with the original flyer stating that the free package was a replenishment package and in other places stating it was a refreshment package. Some who purchased on June 15th were assured in writing that they were getting the replenishment package. That quickly changed a multiple new flyers were posted by Royal Caribbean, with the final flyer having the free package being the refreshment package and the offer only for sailing prior to August 31st.

I do agree that the current flyer is worded terribly, but I do not see anything that would be construed as bait and switch.

As others have said. I tend to book early and put myself in the room I want. Of course I'll check for "upgrades", but I've never had luck in pricing flowing my way until my most recent booking on Anthem. I booked the lowest category (interior virtual balcony), since pricing is still running a tad high on Anthem. low and behold, the 30/30 sale ended up working in our favor an an Obstructed Balcony came in only less than $10 total to upgrade. Bigger room, and a real balcony works for me. I don't care if I'm towards the front of the ship.

...I do agree that the current flyer is worded terribly, but I do not see anything that would be construed as bait and switch.

I was about to agree with you -- at first.

The original issue regarding Replenish vs. Refreshment might be seen as "bait and switch", but let's say eventually we come to accept that it was a "mistake" by the IT dept or whoever. Whether or not they honor the original offer, or are obliged to, that isn't my issue (as it doesn't apply to me). However, the more I think about the wording in the date stipulation.... at this point, the confusion seems deliberate.

Based on what others reported in that other, lengthy thread... when you buy the Ultimate package, your receipt will not show anything more than the purchase of the Ult pkg. There's no mention of the included Ref pkg bonus, even if your purchase completely complies with the rules. Now, my cruise is Oct 11, 2015 and this promotion is showing within my reservation. To me, this suggests that this promotion is being offered to me. Coupled with the wording "Offer valid June 15 - August 31, 2015", not "Offer valid for sailings June 15 - August 31" supports my belief that I can take advantage of this promotion. Otherwise, why include it at all? But ok, at this point it could still (sort-of) be seen as my mistake for misunderstanding.

However, we can be certain LOTS people have called Cust Serv at RCI asking for clarification about the dates listed on the current (corrected) promotion. They've gotten conflicting answers. RCI is fully aware that their promotional wording is still unclear, at least in this aspect. So, I have to wonder.... Are they hoping guests will read it like I did and make their purchases thinking they will receive benefits that they don't actually qualify for? Are they hoping we wont notice once we're on board? If we do notice, are they hoping that maybe we'll suck it up and keep the pkgs we bought anyway? Maybe they'll offer some kind of compensation, maybe not. Maybe by the time we notice, it's too late to do anything about it. THIS begins to smack of 'bait and switch', in my opinion.

I know I'm maybe being a bit dramatic here. But seriously, two words is all that needs to be added to that promotion. Two words. Why haven't they done it?

Edited by Ren1216

The original issue regarding Replenish vs. Refreshment might be seen as "bait and switch", but let's say eventually we come to accept that it was a "mistake" by the IT dept or whoever. Whether or not they honor the original offer, or are obliged to, that isn't my issue (as it doesn't apply to me). However, the more I think about the wording in the date stipulation.... at this point, the confusion seems deliberate.

Based on what others reported in that other, lengthy thread... when you buy the Ultimate package, your receipt will not show anything more than the purchase of the Ult pkg. There's no mention of the included Ref pkg bonus, even if your purchase completely complies with the rules. Now, my cruise is Oct 11, 2015 and this promotion is showing within my reservation. To me, this suggests that this promotion is being offered to me. Coupled with the wording "Offer valid June 15 - August 31, 2015", not "Offer valid for sailings June 15 - August 31" supports my belief that I can take advantage of this promotion. Otherwise, why include it at all? But ok, at this point it could still (sort-of) be seen as my mistake for misunderstanding.

However, we can be certain LOTS people have called Cust Serv at RCI asking for clarification about the dates listed on the current (corrected) promotion. They've gotten conflicting answers. RCI is fully aware that their promotional wording is still unclear, at least in this aspect. So, I have to wonder.... Are they hoping guests will read it like I did and make their purchases thinking they will receive benefits that they don't actually qualify for? Are they hoping we wont notice once we're on board? If we do notice, are they hoping that maybe we'll suck it up and keep the pkgs we bought anyway? Maybe they'll offer some kind of compensation, maybe not. Maybe by the time we notice, it's too late to do anything about it. THIS begins to smack of 'bait and switch', in my opinion.

I know I'm maybe being a bit dramatic here. But seriously, two words is all that needs to be added to that promotion. Two words. Why haven't they done it?

I don't think you are being dramatic at all. I understand what you are saying, I have just accepted the fact that I don't want to waste my time trying to figure this out once we board our cruise in September. The cruise line lost out with us since we chose not to buy the Ultimate package for our 8 night cruise. We are not big drinkers to begin with, but my DH would have easily tried to do his best to drink enough scotch to make it worth the money.:p The original plan was for us to buy two replenishment packages so the jump to one Ultimate wasn't that bad. We have now decided to purchase no packages at all.

I do hope that you get what you are expecting and don't need to waste too much time making it right. I was just trying to keep the whole June 15th mess out of it since the whole replenishment "bait and switch" really isn't the current issue with this promotion.

As others have said. I tend to book early and put myself in the room I want. Of course I'll check for "upgrades", but I've never had luck in pricing flowing my way until my most recent booking on Anthem. I booked the lowest category (interior virtual balcony), since pricing is still running a tad high on Anthem. low and behold, the 30/30 sale ended up working in our favor an an Obstructed Balcony came in only less than $10 total to upgrade. Bigger room, and a real balcony works for me. I don't care if I'm towards the front of the ship.

I dunno how my message got thrown in this thread, as I was on a completely different one. Hope CC isn't using the same IT as RCC today...

I completely agree with you.

I do hope that you get what you are expecting and don't need to waste too much time making it right. I was just trying to keep the whole June 15th mess out of it since the whole replenishment "bait and switch" really isn't the current issue with this promotion.

I agree with you. There were/are separate problems with this promo; one was the fact that, on launch, it clearly specified the Replenish pkg as the freebie, not Refreshment. That horse has been beaten to death in another thread, no need to re-hash it here. Not to mention that RCI quickly changed the flyer to read Refreshment package, so this is no longer an on-going concern for people NEWLY booking the Ultimate Bev Pkg now.

But what is still an existing issue, and what is prompting conflicting information from RCI itself, is whether the promo applies only to sailings during the specified dates, or to any sailings as long as it's purchased during the specified dates. To me, the clearest reading of the text is the latter, especially since it's been offered to me for purchase in MY cruise planner for MY cruise, which is not until October. (Same for others sailing after the specified dates.) I would maintain that if I bought it now through my cruise planner, I would be entitled to the deal. Would I spend a lot of my vacation time at Guest Services arguing about this? Totally different question.

Every cruise line knows how to say "this promo is applicable only for sailings from June 15-August 31, 2015." RCI's promo here does not qualify the offer in this way, and thus is best read as applicable to any sailing, as long as purchased in the specified time frame (and particularly when offered to those sailing on cruises outside that time frame). RCI has long known about the confusion here, and it's really irresponsible of them not to have clarified the issue in the written promo, nor given their phone reps correct and consistent info.

Edited by Turtles06

Turtles06 has basically said the exact same thing that I did, maybe just a little more eloquently. Speaking mostly for myself here, not all of us saw that original thread resulting in the dead horse. But hopefully, the bit I am about to add can spare this horse the same fate, allowing him to rest instead.

In case Turtles06 or anyone else is planning to make a purchase in hopes that their interpretation of the promotion will be honored once on board ship, I will share a portion of the emailed response I finally received this morning from a Cust Serv Rep in the C&A dept:

"Thank you for your interest in our Share a Coke Promotion. Through this promotion, guests who have purchased an Ultimate Beverage Package and are sailing between June 15, 2015 and August 31, 2015 will receive a free Refreshment Package."

Again, can we be certain this is the true answer? I suppose it's a 50/50 chance. But this is enough for me to stop wasting my time. Maybe they'll offer another promotion in the fall for our Oct sailing.

Turtles06 has basically said the exact same thing that I did, maybe just a little more eloquently. Speaking mostly for myself here, not all of us saw that original thread resulting in the dead horse. But hopefully, the bit I am about to add can spare this horse the same fate, allowing him to rest instead.

In case Turtles06 or anyone else is planning to make a purchase in hopes that their interpretation of the promotion will be honored once on board ship, I will share a portion of the emailed response I finally received this morning from a Cust Serv Rep in the C&A dept:

"Thank you for your interest in our Share a Coke Promotion. Through this promotion, guests who have purchased an Ultimate Beverage Package and are sailing between June 15, 2015 and August 31, 2015 will receive a free Refreshment Package."

Again, can we be certain this is the true answer? I suppose it's a 50/50 chance. But this is enough for me to stop wasting my time. Maybe they'll offer another promotion in the fall for our Oct sailing.

I would purchase your package and bring a print out of that email with you on your cruise. As you saw in the other thread, there was a person who brought their documentation to guest relations and the ship honored the packages they were assured they purchased.

Just to put my bit in. I purchased on the 15th June thinking it was a free replenishment package.

Here is the reply I got yesterday. Terrible customer service

We thank you for your email concerning our promotions, and we are sorry to

hear that this has been stressful for you.

We extend our apologies in this matter as we acknowledge that we did in

fact misprint the first flyers for this promotion, however we are unable to

honour this flyer before you set sail on your cruise as this flyer had been

amended. I can only suggest you take this up with the Guest Relations desk

onboard, as we are unable to provide compensation in the form of a Drinks

Package for this inconvenience. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that this

will be honoured once onboard.

We thank you for the time you have taken to write to us. We truly look

forward to the opportunity to welcome you back onboard and demonstrate our

commitment to service onboard the Explorer of the Seas.

Just to put my bit in. I purchased on the 15th June thinking it was a free replenishment package.

Well now this is just horse sh!t!!!! That is a completely illegal bait and switch and they're even admitting you purchased it during a time when their flyer said something else. They absolutely 100% have to honor a purchase that was made during a time when they promised something else in writing. Just because they changed the flyer after the fact has no bearing on your purchase!!! If you have a friend who is a lawyer who can help you draft a professional letter to that affect, do it and email it! Otherwise, if it's worth your time (since it's already purchased), look up the business law code that refers to false advertising/bait and switch advertising. Refer to the code in your email and quote it, and then remind royal that you purchased your package on June 15th, PRIOR to them changing their flyer, and that if they don't honor it, they are breaking that law or code or however lawyers refer to it. That's what I would do :)

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Well now this is just horse sh!t!!!! That is a completely illegal bait and switch and they're even admitting you purchased it during a time when their flyer said something else. They absolutely 100% have to honor a purchase that was made during a time when they promised something else in writing. Just because they changed the flyer after the fact has no bearing on your purchase!!! If you have a friend who is a lawyer who can help you draft a professional letter to that affect, do it and email it! Otherwise, if it's worth your time (since it's already purchased), look up the business law code that refers to false advertising/bait and switch advertising. Refer to the code in your email and quite it, and then remind royal that you purchased your package on June 15th, PRIOR to them changing their flyer, and that if they don't go or it, they are breaking that law or code or however lawyers refer to it. That's what I would do :)

Have to say I was pretty gobsmacked by Royals response however I got sick of waiting for their reply last week and rang them instead. I have an email telling me they will provide me with enough OBC in order that I can upgrade my free refresh to a replenish package. So I'm happy, but still shocked at their email suggesting I board and check if they will/will not honour it then!! Terrible for such a large company.

I would purchase your package and bring a print out of that email with you on your cruise. As you saw in the other thread, there was a person who brought their documentation to guest relations and the ship honored the packages they were assured they purchased.

A print out of this email will do me no good as it clearly states that the promotion is for sailings within the noted time frame. My sailing is outside of that period, in Oct. So I have been given an answer of "No", not much I can do about that. I'm truly not attempting to get them to bend to my way. I only wish they would be more clear, the neglect (refusal?) to do so causes me to believe they are intentionally misleading.

...however we are unable to honour this flyer before you set sail on your cruise as this flyer had been amended. I can only suggest you take this up with the Guest Relations desk onboard, as we are unable to provide compensation in the form of a Drinks Package for this inconvenience. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that this will be honoured once onboard.

There ya go, they really don't have to honor anything, so long as they claim it was said in error. Nor do they have to honor our misinterpretation of their terms, unfortunately. Thanks for sharing your response.

He can't do that, his email clearly stated it is not good for his sailing. If he tries to use that in his favor, they will point out that he was told specifically in writing that the offer is good only for sailings by aug31, which his is not. Otherwise I would do that...buy it, print out the picture of the screen showing you bought it during that time period, and show that the wording did not specify that you must sail, just that it says "valid between" and explain that you bought it during those dates and see if it works. If not, cancel it while on board...or just don't buy it at all because it's a hassle and probably not worth the $50 soda package.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Most corporations always put disclaimers in their marketing materials to cover them in cases of errors. However, someone in the other thread I linked was able to take the original flyer to guest relations on the ship and they were more than happy to honor the promotion the poster had based his purchase on prior to the flyer being corrected. I would print out the original flyer which can be found in the linked thread and talk to guest relations on the ship. I bet you will end up with one Ultimate and one Replenishment.

Good luck and come back after your cruise and tell us how it goes!:)

Have to say I was pretty gobsmacked by Royals response however I got sick of waiting for their reply last week and rang them instead. I have an email telling me they will provide me with enough OBC in order that I can upgrade my free refresh to a replenish package. So I'm happy, but still shocked at their email suggesting I board and check if they will/will not honour it then!! Terrible for such a large company.

Oh, so they are honoring it the way they made the other posters "whole". :)I am glad it worked out for you!