Just back from the perfect cruise

Vacation Nut

We sailed with Radiance of the Seas from Seward on July 3rd and I am now in Vancouver. We did not see a drop of rain in the whole time we were on the cruise, in fact the last sea day was so hot that the pool deck resembled a Caribbean cruise. I have cruised 11 times to the Caribbean and this was my first Alaska trip. It was magnificent.

Hubbard Glacier spectacular, lots of calving, each sounding like thunder. Stayed ages in the bay. We were on the Helipad and needed my jacket and hat on the approach because of the wind, but did not need them when viewing. The hot chocolate was very good.

Juneau, we caught the 9:30 blue shuttle to Mendenhall and stayed until 1:00. Nugget Falls trail about 20-25 mins and then plenty of time on the beach by the falls and in the visitor's center. Their film is very good. Got back to town and went up the Mount Roberts Tram, the hike to then"cross" is worth it if you like to hike.

Skagway, we did a helicopter glacier landing, which, if you can afford it, I would definitely recommend. It was incredible soaring over the mountain peaks to see the snow beds and then touch down on a glacier. Again, it was so warm we only needed a light jacket, we could not believe our luck and this was definitely the highlight of our trip. They give you boots to go over your shoes, and there are guides on the glacier to point out features.

Icy Strait, bear and whale package tour. Saw three bears, the guide was very good and they also have an armed guard with you(but have never had to shoot a bear). The trip after us did not see a bear, that would be very disappointing. Whale watch incredible, followed three orcas, and also saw several hump backs..

Ketchikan, did the float plane with Island Wings recommended by many on this board. I concur. Michelle is a fabulous pilot. Loved the views and landing on a fjord. You get such an appreciation for Alaska from the air.

We could not believe our luck with the weather. The ship is still fabulous(I was on her previously in 2007) Captain Goran is amazing, the right balance of friendliness and professionalism. We did the All Acess Tour on the last sea day and saw : galley, crew area, engine control room, environmental area, laundry, theater and the bridge. I learned masses and the captain met us on the bridge too.

I will try to post some photos and also talk about Pre-Cruise Tour #3 in another post.

So happy you had such an incredible trip. We had one just like it in May. Saw bears while hiking in Denali. Hardly needed more than long sleeves. It was so perfect, I want to go back but then again, maybe I don't because it could never be this perfect a second time. Lucky you. Relive it through your pictures.

Glad you had great weather. We had perfect days a couple of weeks ago until we reached Glacier Natl Park and College Fjord when the days were overcast. I personally like Hubbard Glacier better than Glacier Natl Park. We were there 6 years ago on a very sunny day and it was spectacular.

Absolutely worth it. We spent 3.5 hours on the tour ( served Mimosas and canapés while in the crew mess room ). I enjoyed the Engine Control room and Bridge in particular. Security were with us in those places. The captain talked to us for about 15 mins.

We did the All Acess Tour on the last sea day and saw : galley, crew area, engine control room, environmental area, laundry, theater and the bridge. I learned masses and the captain met us on the bridge too.

Did you enjoy the All Access Tour? Was it worth the cost?

You could buy 5 or 7 bottles. We bought 5 (about $170 I think). Each night the waiter brought the wine list that we could choose from -- the NZ Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc was our favorite. We would take the bottle back to our cabin each night to finish. As our weather was so good, we could often sit on our balcony in the evening.