Canadian News channel

artmc

Given that there are so many of us passengers from the Land of the Ice and Snow (Canada, eh!) you'd think there would be at least one Canadian news channel. Sailing on a seven day Western Caribbean cruise in February (the Silhouette) I noticed there were two British channels and at least one French channel.

I know there are those news bulletins in the front lobby, but they are somewhat limited.

So will my fellow Canucks join me in raising a groundswell of demand (politely though, after all, we're Canadian) for CBC or CTV?

As a child growing up on the Canadian border, we got 5 TV stations. 2 US and 3 Canadian. We loved Johnny Jelly Bean, Friendly Giant, Chez Helene, Magic Tom and Mr. Dress Up! And more importantly, Hockey Night in Canada. Some 50 years later I still watch a fair amount of CTV and CBC (in both languages) Seeing one of those on a cruise ship would feel like home!

I'm on your side OP. I'd love to have the Canadian perspective on things that happen while we're away. After all, I have family at home when I travel and like to be sure nothing too extreme is happening. I, too, have found it odd that it is so hard to come by when there is so much international news onboard.

I'm on your side OP. I'd love to have the Canadian perspective on things that happen while we're away. After all, I have family at home when I travel and like to be sure nothing too extreme is happening. I, too, have found it odd that it is so hard to come by when there is so much international news onboard.

I would also like to see some Canadian content on the TV. In this rapidly changing world that we live in today it would be nice to hear news from home.

Last cruise in February with Celebrity there were 1500 or more Canadians onboard. With the packages that Celebrity has offered over the past three years from Canadian cities there are even more Canadians on their ships.

If they can show CNN BBC why not CTV?

I guess I'm on the fence on this one....we do pick up the News bulletin at Guest Services for sports scores and updates but they're usually 24-48 hours behind on the news events. Of course we're reading this paper as we chill by the pool! I can't imagine sitting in my cabin watching the news, Canadian or otherwise. My kids have our email so if anything major happens at home I'll hear about it but they're boys in their 20's so I'm usually the last to hear anything anyway:D

I can see why some would like to have access to local news from home but I for one wouldn't be watching it!!

I won't speak for anyone other than myself, but I'm not "bothered" if they have a Canadian news channel or not.

There are lots of other sources available to keep up with local, regional and national news other than T.V.

At the very best I'm completely ambivalent about T.V. while on a cruise.

Not at the prices Celebrity charges! :(

We've often found it works really well to just catch up on news, if we need to, when we get free wifi at a port. Wouldn't want to spend precious port time checking my devices specifically for news but if something major has happened I'll usually get an imessage from family regarding it. Of course, if something major happens it usually makes CNN. I've never felt the need for expensive onboard internet packages just for that.

I"m definitely not bothered by what others want to watch, to each their own!

I do think it would be nice to have a Canadian channel onboard, if only to catch up on major news such as hockey and the CFL.

The trouble is, I know that it means that we would likely tune in, instead of "getting away from it all". Sometimes forced exclusion isn't so bad...:rolleyes:

That said, most of our cruises are 7 days. On a longer cruise 10+ days it would be a nice thing.

that's my 2 cents...or nickel... as we don't have pennies anymore:eek:

The internet is a wonderful thing for news from around the world

Not at the prices Celebrity charges! :(

I discovered (right after my last cruise) that my tablet has the 'save for offline reading'.

So next cruise I'll get online, snag the articles i want to read and log off.;)

I discovered (right after my last cruise) that my tablet has the 'save for offline reading'.

So next cruise I'll get online, snag the articles i want to read and log off.;)

I do the same thing...compose my email replies offline, sign in, send my reply and sign off...costs a minute or less of internet time. Do the same thing with incoming messages, open them, sign off and read at my leisure while offline. Doesn't cost as much that way as people think.

If one is cruising during The Brier or the Scotties, there is little to no coverage in the "Canadian New" paper!! Hate trying to find a cruise between my curling events that I love to watch. Equate it to them not broadcasting the Super Bowl!!

snow bunny

Edited by snow bunny

I used to want to have a Canadian news channel but now that Rob Ford isn't Mayor any more the Canadian news just isn't as interesting.;)

For those who still want a channel write Celebrity letters and emails and see what happens. For me, if I really want to catch up on Politics :mad: or Curling, or the CFL, or my Leafs :mad::mad::mad:, I just go online. As others have said you can do this at very reasonable cost (reasonable in my opinion).

• 2 weeks later...

Once upon a time I used to travel with a portable multi-band radio so that I could listen to Radio Canada International's short-wave broadcasts wherever I was in the world. The short-wave service was terminated a few years ago, but they now have an Internet presence: http://www.rcinet.ca/en/ for those needing their news from home, although there are better websites.

Yikes. Isn't that what the internet is for and the freebie daily newsletter?

Anything really newsworthy is covered by the channels they provide. Every port has Wifi so you can always use that rather than pay on the ship.

Geez,aren't cruises supposed to be for getting away from it all.