Adult daycare is coming back

AduLet daycare? Derrick Lewis? Tell me more, tell me more!

We sail Liberty in October and I feel like I will be missing out on something really awesome!

Lauri

You'll just have to sail Liberty again after January!:) Derek is great fun and we are regulars in the pub when he's aboard. DH had to buy his CD as he really likes one of Derek's 'original' songs

(I want a young dumb rich nymphomaniac

To drive me around in her Cadillac….)

There's much more, but it's not appropriate to type the rest of it here.:eek: Suffice it to say he's an excellent musician with a great sense of humor.

One of the best times we had with Derek was his wedding cruise - it was the Mardi Gras cruise out of NOLA in Feb 2012 on Voyager. He was performing in the pub, but he and Patty got married in a formal ceremony on the bridge over the Promenade one evening. That was cool!!

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

The "adult daycare" involved roping unsuspecting cruisers passing thru the Schooner bar into singing karaoke accompanied by Derek on guitar. Great fun!! I still have my genuine glow in the dark plastic ring my husband was awarded for singing SRV's "Pride and Joy" which is now our song. Yeah, April 17!

Edited by iluvit!

Damn damn damn. We are on Liberty in November 2016 and will miss him.

Guess I better start looking for an early-mid 2016 cruise.

He is an amazing entertainer. We still have a Kamikaze Karaoke CD and the t-shirts from our Rhapsody cruise in 2006. Great times!

Edited by WilsonFamilyNRH

Wow what great news. Texas fans have missed Derek and it will be great to have hom on the LIberty. RCL must be thrilled also since the pub is packed every night for him as well as standing room only on the promenade. Cant's wait to get another ring worth " far more than a thousand dollars" and another recording contract.See you soon Derek!!

Yikes ... a Superstar reunion. It's about time!! Derek has become both our favorite entertainer and a good friend as well ... we even attended his wedding aboard Voyager, probably our best cruise ever (and we've been pretty much everywhere). Have we ever missed him, especially when passing by the pubs each night and seeing what passed for entertainment (not to mention being half-empty at best). Looks like he'll be coming aboard right after Liberty emerges from drydock ... two of Galveston 's greatest events. We're booked on the 2/1 cruise and can't wait.

Welcome home, Derek!!

Josie & Al

Edited by jewopaho

Well this just solidified our spring 2016 Liberty cruise. I was hoping that Derek would find his way back to Galveston once the pub went non-smoking. Great news! He is bar none the best high energy entertainer they have. And he definitely has a Galveston following. He has been missed!

Lurch is ready to sing Take This Job and Shove It in assorted voices once again! :eek:

He is on for 6 months starting in January

He's got some personal business to take care of right now (his mother recently passed away, and he had taken a break from sea to care for her), so he won't be returning until January. Now that Galveston is a year-round port for Royal Caribbean, he can stick around a little longer than he usually does before (I assume) heading to Alaska for that season.

If you've never seen Derek, one trip to the pub ought to do it. The place is always overflowing into the promenade, and it's standing room only ... as opposed to its being half-full (if that) when other entertainers are there. In addition to being a terrific musician/comedian/singer, he's got to be one of the best revenue sources for Royal Caribbean ... bartenders and wait staff are kept hopping all night.

But beware ... if he spots you (as inconspicuous as you think you may be), you will get up there, and you will sing (everyone from ships' captains to nuns have become Superstars). You can even get a CD of your performance, so that your spouse may embarrass you in front of friends and family. It's just great fun, and a highlight of the cruise. It's terrific to look forward to Adult Day Care At Night again.

Al

Well this just solidified our spring 2016 Liberty cruise. I was hoping that Derek would find his way back to Galveston once the pub went non-smoking. Great news! He is bar none the best high energy entertainer they have. And he definitely has a Galveston following. He has been missed!

Lurch is ready to sing Take This Job and Shove It in assorted voices once again! :eek:

Derek is back where he belongs! I just KNEW the news would make you happy. Unfortunately, we already booked a cruise in Dec. which can't be changed. We doubt we can cruise again for at least another year so I hope he sticks around. We were fortunate to experience his adult day care on 3 of our past cruises. Amazing fun.

BONNIE! I can't believe we keep missing each other onboard. Hope you are well! I think of the Dallas land cruisers often - too bad everyone was so dang spread out.

Yes we have been among the many hoping that Derek would make his way back to Galveston once the smoking policy changed and he was able to sail again. So very sorry to hear about his Mom but glad he was able to be with her. He is indeed unique and such great high energy! I don't know why Royal has not been more proactive about getting fun entertainers like him on the other ships - most are putting everyone to sleep! Hey Royal - keep us awake and we will spend more $$! :D

Yes we have been among the many hoping that Derek would make his way back to Galveston once the smoking policy changed and he was able to sail again. I don't know why Royal has not been more proactive about getting fun entertainers like him on the other ships - most are putting everyone to sleep! Hey Royal - keep us awake and we will spend more $$! :D

For those who are unfamiliar with situation, Derek has an aversion to second-hand smoke, after years of performing in phone-booth-sized venues. At the time, Royal Caribbean did not have a fleet-wide policy on smoking ... each ship's hotel manager set his own. Voyager's pub was smoke-free. When the ship left Galveston for New Orleans, it was replaced by Mariner, where passengers could smoke. Derek then opted to head for Florida, where he sailed with Celebrity (ironically, owned by Royal) for the next two Caribbean seasons. During the interim, RCI changed its smoking policy to include the pubs. Derek didn't work last season, taking a break to care for his ailing mother, who unfortunately passed away recently. So, after he takes care of some family matters, he'll be back where he belongs.

We've sailed out of Galveston (Mariner and Navigator) at least a half-dozen times over the past few years, and have never seen the pubs more than half-full (often less than that) when live entertainers (using the term loosely) were performing. It would have been an effort for us to stay awake, especially after a day of intense (for us) activity on shore. But irrespective of our condition, we always made it to Derek's mayhem, and left rejuvenated (not all the result of alcohol infusion). His return is long overdue.

Al