Opinions: Balc vs Mini on Regal...cost worth it?

RealDeal

Hi everyone. Trying to decide b/w a standard balcony & a mini suite on Regal. I know it's a very personal choice as to whether spending the money is worth it, but I'm looking for opinions. $450 to upgrade to a mini on a 7-day Caribbean cruise...is it worth it? Obviously, I would love the larger cabin and if it were, say, a $300 differential, I would do it, but $450 seems a bit steep.

Opinions?

Hi everyone. Trying to decide b/w a standard balcony & a mini suite on Regal. I know it's a very personal choice as to whether spending the money is worth it, but I'm looking for opinions. $450 to upgrade to a mini on a 7-day Caribbean cruise...is it worth it? Obviously, I would love the larger cabin and if it were, say, a $300 differential, I would do it, but $450 seems a bit steep.

Opinions?

I would take the mini. :D There have been some deep discussions on CC about balcony size on the Regal/Royal for both of these cabins. :(

I would take the mini. :D There have been some deep discussions on CC about balcony size on the Regal/Royal for both of these cabins. :(

Thanks, Colo. FYI, I responded to you on another thread from last week!

Just not sure...Basically, it would cost about 25% more & I'm just not sure it's worth it. Thinking...

Thanks, Colo. FYI, I responded to you on another thread from last week!

Just not sure...Basically, it would cost about 25% more & I'm just not sure it's worth it. Thinking...

Yes I saw your response! That is a chunk of $$ and at least you would have a balcony even if you don't take it. :D

Some questions? How many port days? If you will be out most of the day on 4/5 port plus private Island would it be worth the price for 2 days or 3 days to have the extra room.

Mini also has a bathtub and I think love seat to sit on that is more comfortable than the chair in room. We love the extra room and larger bathroom with tub. In the Caribbean we tend to shower twice a day most days.

The price breakdown would be $26.47 P/P per day extra. And daily charge jumps to $11 p/p.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise.

We've got a deluxe balcony, comes with a little more cabin space, and includes a love seat for not much more than the standard balcony room. We don't need a tub. Have you considered that option?

$420 would get you two loungers in the Sanctuary, and much more space.

Edited by HUNKY

We've got a deluxe balcony, comes with a little more cabin space, and includes a love seat for not much more than the standard balcony room. We don't need a tub. Have you considered that option?

$420 would get you two loungers in the Sanctuary, and much more space.

Thanks, Hunky. The deluxe is $200 more, and the space differential doesn't really excite me much! I think for me it's b/w a standard balc & a mini.

On our 10 day Royal cruise, the price difference is about $320 more person to move to a mini from a balcony. We booked the balcony.

In your situation, I would also book the balcony.

We prefer the mini's, but sometimes it's just not worth the increase in price.

On our 10 day Royal cruise, the price difference is about $320 more person to move to a mini from a balcony. We booked the balcony.

In your situation, I would also book the balcony.

We prefer the mini's, but sometimes it's just not worth the increase in price.

Leaning that way!

Think about the amount of time you will be in the cabin. The sofa and tub are what you will be paying for. If you are out of the cabin more than in it, it wouldn't be worth the increase. We prefer minis on long cruises of two weeks or more and standard balcony cabins on 7 day cruises.:)

. If you are out of the cabin more than in it, it wouldn't be worth the increase. :)

Can't say I agree with you. We are out of the cabin more than we are in it yet we always book a full suite, so the extra cost is well worth it for us, maybe not others.:)

For us, the curtain around the bed at least in a Royal mini were worth it. Also, some minis have bigger balconies if you can get one of those. We won't go in less than a mini now after 3 balconies. We need the extra sitting area and table. We always have a light breakfast delivered early.

Really appreciate the responses. For me it's about the $$. We do 4 or 5 trips a year and aren't retired, so it's tough to justify over $450 to "upgrade" on one trip. I love minis & of course it's my preference, but I'd rather spend the $$ elsewhere.

I think there's another thread going talking about a $170 differential. For that I would def. do it. I think $300 is my cutoff!

Oh, well...maybe there will be a price drop on the minis, but then I suppose they'll take away the drink package.

Thanks, Hunky. The deluxe is $200 more, and the space differential doesn't really excite me much! I think for me it's b/w a standard balc & a mini.

I agree. I wouldn't pay anything much more for a Dlx Balcony over a Balcony. We did book a Dlx GTY for less than a similar Balcony and only a "couple of dollars" more than the usual Inside we would book. That was a "net" price after figuring in the additional $50 OBC with a DB versus Inside. So, for almost nothing extra, we will get light and fresh sea air, plus on the brink of a potential upgrade to a 'first ever' Mini since the DB's are all sold out.

Edited by steelers36

We were on the Royal (same as Regal) last week in a standard balcony.We were a bit worried the room and balcony would be very small but we didn't find that at all, more than adequate for the two of us for twelve nights (even the balcony was large enough.)

We have also been in mini suites which are very nice but in my opinion not worth this much extra for seven nights!

You guys are great, thank you!

I'm fine w/the price for a standard balcony (esp. b/c we're getting the free drink pkg), but for a cruise during low season (first week in Dec), I just can't justify an additional $460, so I guess my decision is made....for now!

Glad you make your decision....for now.

Sometimes I look at the price difference and say that is almost 1/2 the price of another cruise. Keep watching for price reductions. To us a great deal is around $100 p/p per day with or without port fees. Enjoy..........especially the free drink package.

You spend more time in your cabin if your cabin is nice. We did the interior with the usual rationale of, "we are never there anyway", but when we did balconies and up--oh yeah, we were there all right.

LOL.

OK, the real reason I want the mini is b/c...my other half snores & I need him as far away from me at night as possible! No, I'm not kidding. But I refuse to pay that much more $$ b/c of his snoring, so I guess I'm the one who will lose in the end! We really aren't in our cabin much, so while the extra room is nice, it's not really all that important to us.

LOL.

OK, the real reason I want the mini is b/c...my other half snores & I need him as far away from me at night as possible! No, I'm not kidding. But I refuse to pay that much more $$ b/c of his snoring, so I guess I'm the one who will lose in the end! We really aren't in our cabin much, so while the extra room is nice, it's not really all that important to us.

Have you had him try Breathe Right Strips? They might help or turn down the volume at least.