The Money Bar

butterfly2

Would like opinions/reviews of the Money Bar!

How is the food?

Drinks?

Do they serve canned or bottled beer? Bud Lite? Coors Lite?

How is the snorkeling? (I've snorkeled before but I'm not a strong swimmer).

How do I get there? Can I get there by taxi? I checked out this list of cab fares and it lists Monkey Bar, but not Money Bar. Typo? Is it hard to find a taxi to the Money Bar and back to the ship? Is it expensive? How do I get a cab from the Money Bar back to the ship? How long is the cab ride?

Cozumel Taxi Rates From SSA International Cruise Ship Pier

Rates Effective Since December 2012 to Present

Destination 1-4 Passengers - 5 Passengers - 6-8 Passengers

Downtown

Downtown Forum Shops 8.00 usd 12.00 usd 16.00usd

Tequilera Mexico Lindo 8.00 usd 12.00 usd 16.00usd

Mercado 8.00 usd 12.00 usd 16.00usd

Tequilera Casa Mission 8.00 usd 12.00 usd 16.00usd

Caleta 8.00 usd 12.00 usd 16.00usd

Hotel Presidente 8.00 usd 12.00 usd 16.00usd

South Zone

PalMar Beach 9.00 usd 13.00 usd 18.00usd

Monkey Bar 9.00 usd 13.00 usd 18.00usd

Hotel Fiesta Americana 10.00 usd 14.00 usd 20.00usd

Playa Uvas 11.00 usd 16.00 usd 22.00usd

Chankanaab 11.00 usd 16.00 usd 22.00usd

Playa Corona 12.00 usd 17.00 usd 24.00usd

Hotel Sabor 14.00 usd 20.00 usd 28.00usd

Ocean Beach Bar 14.00 usd 20.00 usd 28.00usd

Carlos n Charlies Beach 14.00 usd 20.00 usd 28.00usd

San Francisco Beach 14.00 usd 20.00 usd 28.00usd

Paradise Beach 14.00 usd 20.00 usd 28.00usd

Playa Mia 16.00 usd 21.00 usd 32.00usd

Mr. Sancho's 16.00 usd 21.00 usd 32.00usd

Nachi Cocom 16.00 usd 21.00 usd 32.00usd

Hotel Allegro Resort 16.00 usd 21.00 usd 32.00usd

Playa Alberto's 17.00 usd 23.00 usd 34.00usd

Hotel Iberostar 18.00 usd 24.00 usd 36.00usd

Playa Palancar 20.00 usd 30.00 usd 40.00usd

North Zone

Airport 14.00 usd 20.00 usd 28.00usd

Parque Cuzam 16.00 usd 21.00 usd 32.00usd

Puerto de Abrigo 15.00 usd 21.00 usd 30.00usd

Playa Azul 15.00 usd 21.00 usd 30.00usd

Hotel Melia Paradisus 15.00 usd 21.00 usd 30.00usd

Mike's Beach 16.00 usd 21.00 usd 32.00usd

Playa Barracuda 16.00 usd 21.00 usd 32.00usd

Cozumel Golf Course 16.00 usd 21.00 usd 32.00usd

Isla de Pasion 25.00 usd 35.00 usd 50.00usd

East Zone

Mezcalitos 25.00 usd 35.00 usd 50.00usd

Punta Morena 30.00 usd 40.00 usd 60.00usd

Chen Rio 30.00 usd 40.00 usd 60.00usd

Playa Bonita 30.00 usd 40.00 usd 60.00usd

Services with Waiting

Punta Sur 60.00 usd 80.00 usd 120.00usd

Mayan Ruins 60.00 usd 80.00 usd 120.00usd

Island Tour 70.00 usd 90.00 usd 140.00usd

Island & RuinsTour 90.00 usd 130.00 usd 180.00usd

Special Stop Request 2.00 usd additional each

Would appreciate any reviews, opinions, info......

Thanks!

Would like opinions/reviews of the Money Bar!

How is the food? Great - typical tourist Tex/Mex

Drinks? tasty :D

Do they serve canned or bottled beer? Bud Lite? Coors Lite? Mexican beers are the only ones I saw there - bottles and canned.

How is the snorkeling? (I've snorkeled before but I'm not a strong swimmer). Great - easy entry to the water via steps

How do I get there? Can I get there by taxi? I checked out this list of cab fares and it lists Monkey Bar, but not Money Bar. Typo? Is it hard to find a taxi to the Money Bar and back to the ship? Is it expensive? How do I get a cab from the Money Bar back to the ship? How long is the cab ride?

!

Short cab ride (10 minutes or less) - should be about $10+tip for up to 4 passengers in the cab. Same fare gets you back to your pier (there are 3 piers in Cozumel - be sure to write down the name of yours because after 6-7 margaritas I tend to forget the name of mine :o). If taxis are not waiting the staff there will call one for you.

LOL I posted link to the taxi fares and never noticed that - yes it is a typo!

Here is the website for the Money Bar with contact info.They have always answered any questions I have had promptly.

http://www.moneybarbeachclub.com

We have only had a drink and snack there - both very good. Lots of photos of snorkeling and bar area on TripAdvisor to give you a visual. I only saw photos of bottles of Mexican beer, which is what we drink - don't remember what else they had.

Snorkeling is reported to be as good as you will get in Cozumel without going out in a boat, near reefs are still recovering from hurricane although I believe this may be one of the areas where they dropped artificial reef balls(?) - someone will correct me I am sure! There is equipment to rent or you can bring your own - I think it is a drift snorkel there is a map at the desk showing the current. I am not a very confident swimmer these days and the only concern I would have is there is a lot of boat traffic. Many groups of snorkelers are brought there to snorkel by boat - usually a little further out, so I would recommend wearing something bright. This is only my observation from the shore, JohninDC has actual experience and could give a more accurate assessment.

Taxis are easy to get there and back.

I'd recommend a snorkel vest (if an okay swimmer) or a true life jacket (if a poor swimmer)- the currents can be challenging at Money Bar on some days.

I second wearing something bright. The boats know there are snorkelers around, but there is boat traffic further out- and that is where all the good fish are. There is stuff, but less to see closer in.

We love Money Bar. It is one of my favorite places in Cozumel that isn't underwater.

Been to the Money Bar a few times. Always had great service and the food is good. Never noticed any US beers there, typical Mexican beers in bottle or can. There is a current that moves from the right to the left, as you look out at the ocean. It gets stronger the farther you move to the left, past the pier. Best thing to do is enter the water and before going out too far swim up a distance (or you can walk it on the rocky beach then enter) and then using the current drift back down to to the Money Bar. We usually do this several times before lunch.

I'd recommend a snorkel vest (if an okay swimmer) or a true life jacket (if a poor swimmer)- the currents can be challenging at Money Bar on some days. .

I'm a strong swimmer and ALWAYS wear a snorkel vest. :cool:

I am not a strong swimmer and I always use a vest. Is the current strong enough to cause uneasiness or a panicky feeling? Does it drift you outward into deeper water, or when you are out in the water drift you back towards the shore, or sidewards? If you have swam out is it difficult to swim in? Are there lifeguards for emergencies?

The current tends to pushe you along the shore - as mentioned above easiest solution is to walk "up-stream" and drift with the current, then swim into the shore and walk back up-stream for more. :cool:

Edited by JohninDC

I am not a strong swimmer and I always use a vest. Is the current strong enough to cause uneasiness or a panicky feeling? Does it drift you outward into deeper water, or when you are out in the water drift you back towards the shore, or sidewards? If you have swam out is it difficult to swim in? Are there lifeguards for emergencies?

Most days you do not even notice the current until you look up and realize you are nowhere near where you started. Some days it is very strong, and you get quite far away- that doesn't cause me unease or panic, but I can't speak for other people. Just pay attention and you'll be fine, at worst, if you drift to far, get out and walk. It will drift you sideways- not out deeper, but not back to shore.

There are no lifeguards.

There is a current that moves from the right to the left, as you look out at the ocean.

Just so you know- while that is typical, some days the current changes.

I'm a strong swimmer and ALWAYS wear a snorkel vest. :cool:

That's smart. I've never worn one (don't have one). I've taken to clipping my SMB to the back of my swimsuit though. It does have enough lift that it could hold me if I needed it, but mostly I do it for visibility, because it is a bright orange blob on my back (and it can be used to signal someone if necessary.) I don't go very deep when snorkeling though, and never by myself.