Venice Hotel before NCL Cruise

suzanne73

Hi

I am taking an NCL cruise that leaves out of Venice. We are arriving the night before and staying the night in Venice.

I have been there before years ago and I know how hard it is to get around with luggage.

I will be traveling with my parents who are older and will have problems going far with luggage.

Does anyone know of a hotel in Venice easy to get to with luggage? I will need to come from the airport. Is there a shuttle? Also how would I get to the port to catch my cruise? Are shuttles expensive?

I want to go to Piazza San Marco and Rialto Bridge area. So it is probably easier if I stay in Venice rather than outside.

I tried to get a hotel through NCL but they were sold out. I asked for transfers but they said I can't get any if I stay the night before.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Piazzale Roma would probably be the best area for your parents. PRoma is the last point of land travel in Venice so it's where buses, taxis, shuttles drop off their passengers. This would give you easy access to the ship (taxi), a 2 block walk to the Grand Canal, and your taxi or shuttle will drop you off here from the airport.

There are 2 hotels right at PRoma or several more that only have 1 bridge to cross. Check this list (lots of other helpful info as well)

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

Many hotels require 2 nights. And if you need an elevator be sure to inquire.

The ATVO express bus is a cheap option. 7E for the 20 minute ride. It's like a greyhound bus with a hold beneath for luggage. A cab is about 40E.

We stayed at the Hotel Olimpia before our cruise last fall. The hotel was easy and inexpensive to reach from the airport via the ATVO bus. We only had to walk across one small bridge with our luggage. It is located close to the water bus stop for easy travel to the major sites. We were very pleased with the room, the price, and the friendliness of the staff. There was free WiFi and a wonderful breakfast. It was a treat to eat breakfast in the beautiful courtyard.

I know there are different opinions concerning where to stay. We stayed at the Hotel Colimbina. It is literally a 3 minute walk to San Marco Square, but away from the madness. Many reasonable restaurants and shops nearby, even a gondola stand if you're interested. We booked a water taxi directly to front door from airport. Then water taxi directly to cruise port. One water taxi can hold six people, and imo worth every penny. The vaperettos were always packed with people. Anyways the Hotel Colimbina has a wonderful ambiance, great service, and prices are moderate. ImageUploadedByForums1437392396.872791.jpg.f8efbdc3fad48fd66525f81d7684e4e4.jpgview of water taxi

ImageUploadedByForums1437392253.670787.jpg.c555547c71f82215b7dacda4a24f2508.jpg

Edited by Got2Cruise

I am in Venice only one day before embarking on RCL Vision OTS in May 2016 and have booked the Hotel Canaletto for proximity to both the Grand Canal/Rialta and St Mark's Square. Has anyone stayed there -- any advice? This is my first time to Venice! Thanks.

Margie

Another vote for Piazzale Roma hotels (Ca' Doge or Santa Chiara). I am a 68 year old with limited mobility. With vaporetto, taxi, and bus all available right in Piazzale Roma, it makes getting around Venice very easy.

We disembarked in Venice, stayed 3 nights, then took the bus to the airport. Level parking lot was easy to wheel our luggage, even in the pouring rain.

I checked Hotel Colimbina because that is the area we want to be in -- unfortunately it is booked for the date we need. We have the Hotel Canaletto booked -- like the area but still looking. I like the idea of the water taxi right to the door!

I checked Hotel Colimbina because that is the area we want to be in -- unfortunately it is booked for the date we need. We have the Hotel Canaletto booked -- like the area but still looking. I like the idea of the water taxi right to the door!

ImageUploadedByForums1437580799.642619.jpg.b9580cfdffde4673ccce4b766b367b6c.jpg It's all part of the Venice experience.

I had similar concerns when I was in Venice in the fall because of severe arthritis in one of my knees (I've since had total knee replacement and will have more options next time!). I stayed at the Best Western Olimpia right off the Piazalle Roma. As a PP said, there's only one bridge to cross. There are a few steps to go down after the bridge. They do have an elevator (it's very tiny). I stayed there for three nights and would absolutely stay there again. It was very easy to get to from the airport as the express us drops you in P Roma. The vaporetto stop is nearby, too. I rode the vaporetto to St Mark's my first day and then went back again very early in the morning the next day. It was so peaceful there with no crowds--loved it!

Across PRoma is the People Mover which will take you to the port, but then it's a bit of a walk to the ship. I suggest you get a taxi to the port to make it easier on your parents.