Please tell why why I should / or should not upgrade

Katgoesonholiday

We are booked on a 14 night cruise next year with myself, my husband and our three sons (14, 10 and 8 at the time of travel) in a Family Cabin (FV).

I would much prefer connecting cabins as two bathrooms is a big asset.

I am looking at the Sky suites and thinking that, if there are connecting cabins available, they might be rather nice. My husband and I traveled in MSC's Yacht Club last year and loved it. Is this similar?

Obviously the biggest 'con' against upgrading is the added cost. But that isn't an insurmountable issue. What would be the 'pros' and do you think it is 'worth it' for the enhanced experience?

We are new to Celebrity so would be very grateful for advice and guidance in what to consider here.

Hi, we have stayed in the FV on the same class of ship several times, and have also looked at the option of sky suites etc - can only advise this - as you mentioned, the cost difference will be quite high, (for us, it more than doubled the cost of our cruise) The floor space in the FV is fabulous, you have a huge living area, and also have a separate, closed off large master bedroom, and a smaller bunk room, again, closed off. The only negatives I can mention are - one bathroom, (but we have always managed without it being an issue) and depending on which deck you are on, some noise on docking (deck 8 was less so)

The added benefits of eating in Luminae etc would of course be fantastic if you are in a suite, but with the money saved by staying FV, you can dine in all the speciality restaurants as much as you like! See my blog for photos etc and videos of our cruises.

No, its not like the MSC's Yacht Club. The yacht club is a closed off area of the ship only open to people staying there. There is no area like it on the Celebrity ships. In a sky suite you can eat in the suite only restaurant Luminae, however Michael's club is not available.

The only difficulty I could see with the suite dining, in Luminae, is possibly taking the kids? Not sure they would like it/or feel welcome? It sounds like a more elegant adult only place to dine. (I may be wrong)

We just got off Silhouette and ate every night in Luminae. There were quite a few kids ranging from 4 years old to teen agers. They were all very welcomed as long as they were all in a Suite.

We just got off Silhouette and ate every night in Luminae. There were quite a few kids ranging from 4 years old to teen agers. They were all very welcomed as long as they were all in a Suite.

That can be a problem since she has mentioned they would not be in a suite, then the charges may kick in. Preferable, if you have a Family cabin, I would look for an inside across the hall, privacy and two bathrooms. We did that when our kids were a little older. Also, if you have two cabins do you really need the family cabin, just get two outsides or two veranda's. Eclipse has those great interlocking cabins, eliminates the door in the room to the other room.

I can't find the picture right now on the Celebrity web site but the interlocking cabins are a great concept, as I stated they eliminate the usual door in the middle of the room which takes up space in both rooms. It is really perfect for families. Basically there are two sets of doors, inside and outside. When you have someone in the other cabin, you leave the inside doors open and close the outside doors for security, this way you have access to the other room without a hindrance if you choose. If you don't have someone in the next room, you just use the inside doors. Both sets of doors are near the hallway so you don't lose any room.

Edited by dkjretired

As Don wrote, the connecting cabin hall doors on the S-class verandas are smartly designed. With five, the extra bath will be very welcome, so do consider connecting verandas with the savings over suites to be used in Qsine (fun for kids-possibly more fun than Luminae), Tuscan Grille also good for teens, etc.

I have stayed in the Solstice class FV. There is so much 'hanging out' room that I think you should stick with it. No place for the five of you to gather comfortably in two connected cabins. You're going to be squished even on the balcony, but the FV has lots of extra floor space for the kids to play.

We had four adults in the FV and the one bathroom was never an issue. We just planned shower times (starting with who took the longest to get ready) and it worked great. With four males in your group, it's even less of an issue. And there are tons of public restrooms around the ship if the bathroom is occupied. The desk/dressing table in the room helps with doing hair, etc.

You don't mention the ship you are sailing on. That makes a difference.

If you are sailing on an M class ship, I would try to get a corner FV. They are very large and have a huge balcony.

If you are sailing on an S class ship, I would recommend two connecting 1A cabins. They have larger balconies which can be connected and there would be plenty of room for all 5 of you on the largest one. You can move the chairs back and forth through the opened partition.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

If you are sailing on an M class ship, I would try to get a corner FV. They are very large and have a huge balcony.

If you are sailing on an S class ship, I would recommend two connecting 1A cabins. They have larger balconies which can be connected and there would be plenty of room for all 5 of you on the largest one. You can move the chairs back and forth through the opened partition.

Appears from the signature they are on the Eclipse.

It shows in their signature that the booking is on the Eclipse.

That can be a problem since she has mentioned they would not be in a suite, then the charges may kick in. Preferable, if you have a Family cabin, I would look for an inside across the hall, privacy and two bathrooms. We did that when our kids were a little older. Also, if you have two cabins do you really need the family cabin, just get two outsides or two veranda's. Eclipse has those great interlocking cabins, eliminates the door in the room to the other room.

I can't find the picture right now on the Celebrity web site but the interlocking cabins are a great concept, as I stated they eliminate the usual door in the middle of the room which takes up space in both rooms. It is really perfect for families. Basically there are two sets of doors, inside and outside. When you have someone in the other cabin, you leave the inside doors open and close the outside doors for security, this way you have access to the other room without a hindrance if you choose. If you don't have someone in the next room, you just use the inside doors. Both sets of doors are near the hallway so you don't lose any room.

My response was only to the poster that I quoted before I responded asking about kids in Luminae.

Thank you for all the thoughtful and informative replies. They are very much appreciated and have helped clarify our thinking.

I do like connecting cabins, we had them on our last cruise, but as one poster mentioned they don't give a central 'living' type area which is a big benefit of the Family Cabin.

I have shown this thread to my husband and I think we will stick with the FV, It doesn't sound like the Sky Suites would necessarily give us the added benefits we might be interested in, and the cost differential would probably be better put into private tours in St Petersburg etc.

Once again, many thanks for all the helpful replies! :D

Just to throw a spanner in the works, is there a similar RCCL cruise? Some friends of ours with three children booked them because of the Royal Family Suites which gave them conceirge lounge, a suitable family suite and a few other perks.

Have not done these suites myself, but if you can find a comparable cruise they may be what you are looking for.

Best wishes for your cruise, whatever option you take!