Royal Caribbean vs Princess

Van1982

I've been loyal to Princess since I started cruising. I've taken the odd cruise with Carnival, Holland America and Norwegian due to scheduling restraints but never Royal Caribbean. Next May the Princess round trip to Alaska doesn't work with provincial exams for my teens but Royal Caribbean does have a round trip that works with our schedule.

How do the two cruise lines compare? I've noticed they don't discount passenger 3 & 4 in a cabin like Princess does so we were going to book adjourning cabins. What is your opinion on the food served. The kids favourite part of cruising is movies under the stars, does RC offer this?

Edited by Van1982

I've been to Alaska on both Princess and Royal Caribbean. Princess was far superior in every way. For a destination other than Alaska, I would recommend trying Royal Caribbean...but not Alaska. Just my humble opinion and my experience.

I've been loyal to Princess since I started cruising. I've taken the odd cruise with Carnival, Holland America and Norwegian due to scheduling restraints but never Royal Caribbean. Next May the Princess round trip to Alaska doesn't work with provincial exams for my teens but Royal Caribbean does have a round trip that works with our schedule.

How do the two cruise lines compare? I've noticed they don't discount passenger 3 & 4 in a cabin like Princess does so we were going to book adjourning cabins. What is your opinion on the food served. The kids favourite part of cruising is movies under the stars, does RC offer this?

While I have never done Alaska with RCL, I did just do one with Princess. All of the Alaska aspects of Princess were great. I took issues with some of what Princess does but that wasn't anything to do with Alaska. I personally prefer RCL for all other destinations though. There is more to do and I felt like choices were better on RCL. Also RCL is more service friendly and has better amenities but also those are more important when you are doing a cruise that has a bit of sea days. Alaska doesn't have fun sea time so that's another consideration. They do a lot of Alaska lectures and special Alaska events and food. But j have no idea what RCL does.

While I wait to regain some money for another Alaskan cruise, I will be returning to RCL for a cruise, hopefully on one of the new quantum class ships.

I've enjoyed cruises on Princess & RCI which probably has more activities that your teens may enjoy.

Taste is subjective but mine prefers the food on Princess more than on RCI although that's merely my preference. If the price was right & only RCI worked for my schedule, I wouldn't hesitate to sail them to Alaska.

When sailing multigenerational cruises with family it's been on RCI even though I prefer Princess.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I don't know about Alaska or what you think would be important to them but Royal Carribean has some of the most beautiful well laid out ships of any line. They are not as good of a value as Princess with drinks and specialty dining. Princess would probably have a better type of Alaska experience. That being said Royal Carribean does have a movie screen on deck but I think the Movies Under the Stars on Princess is enhanced by padded loungers and pop corn available and show a bit more movies in the evening than Royal Carribean does. They have rock climbing walls and ice skating as well as a terrific ice show! If the movies are extremely important then I give the edge to Princess. Also if cheaper costs for drinks are important. Otherwise I think your teens would love Royal Carribean.

Food in the main dining room is about equivalent on both cruise lines.

You do not say which RCCL ship, but it may have the rock climbing wall, ice skating rink and flowrider, all of which Princess will not have.

If you have not been to Glacier Bay before, then I would only consider cruises that have Glacier Bay on the itinerary.

If this is your first time in Alaska - go with Princess and Glacier Bay - somehow.

I thought RCCL was mediocre in Alaska. No enrichment programs or naturalist like Princess has.

I liked RCCL in the Caribbean but was greatly disappointed with them in Alaska.

Edited by Coral

I see you're asking for cruise line comparisons, not itinerary advice. Princess and RCI are very comparable when it comes to food and entertainment. RCI also has the large screens on most of their ships. However, they don't play movies nearly as frequently as MUTS on Princess. Depending on the ship, RCI tends to show 3D movies in the main theater or in a separate movie theater. What ship are you considering?

Edited by Aquahound

I see you're asking for cruise line comparisons, not itinerary advice. Princess and RCI are very comparable when it comes to food and entertainment. RCI also has the large screens on most of their ships. However, they don't play movies nearly as frequently as MUTS on Princess. Depending on the ship, RCI tends to show 3D movies in the main theater or in a separate movie theater. What ship are you considering?

Disagree about Princess being comparable to RCL with regards to entertainment. RCL is a huge amount better. Princess entertainment, especially the production shows are very much lacking. We found them very subpar. If you want great food, wonderful shows including an ice show that is spectacular, and lots of fun things to do during the day then do RCL. Princess has great food and good Alaska lectures and possibly a better itinerary but that is all. No good entertainment, except the comedian and magician of your lucky, and there isn't much to do during the day save some lectures. I found the MUTS to not show any really good movies but also I don't go in cruises for movies, lol.

Disagree about Princess being comparable to RCL with regards to entertainment. RCL is a huge amount better. Princess entertainment, especially the production shows are very much lacking. We found them very subpar. If you want great food, wonderful shows including an ice show that is spectacular, and lots of fun things to do during the day then do RCL. Princess has great food and good Alaska lectures and possibly a better itinerary but that is all. No good entertainment, except the comedian and magician of your lucky, and there isn't much to do during the day save some lectures. I found the MUTS to not show any really good movies but also I don't go in cruises for movies, lol.

I agree with you, but most ships RCI runs in Alaska are Radiance and Vision Class. I think the entertainment is even with Princess on those. However, if the OP is looking at Explorer of the Seas, that's a different story. In that case, I would agree the entertainment is much better than Princess.

I agree with you, but most ships RCI runs in Alaska are Radiance and Vision Class. I think the entertainment is even with Princess on those. However, if the OP is looking at Explorer of the Seas, that's a different story. In that case, I would agree the entertainment is much better than Princess.

Hmm ya it really depends on the ship. I do think that Alaska needs to be done with princess personally because of the Alaska enrichment. But for all others I do RCL.

we have done both , very limited princess knowledge , but without a doubt you will like rci i think:)

princess is likely the winner with MUTS and alaska itinerery ,royal does not do their big outdoor screen as well as princess,kinda frustrating...and also royal does not go to glacier bay which is a big downer

our next alaska trip will be with princess for sure,but that is likely years off

if it fits your schedule,give rci a try....you can decide for yourself if you like them,and i sure dont think you would regret it even if its a one time thing;)

dave

I am Elite on Princess so I do get a lot of extras, but, recently I took a RCI cruise with my daughter and couldn't believe how spoiled I have become with Princess.

I now call RCI the "no" ship.

Boarding: My daughter brought a case of water along and we were told "no" when we tried to have it brought on board with our luggage (it had a luggage tag attached). She had to carry it thru boarding and around the ship until our staterooms were available.

Breakfast: My daughter was looking forward to Lox and cream cheese on a bagel, "no" they did not have it on the menu, nor was it available.

Bar: Both of us went to the bar and asked for a Daiquiri, "no" they do not make Daiquiri's except when it is the drink of the day??? This was at any of the bars onboard. What kind of bar can't make a drink?

Breakfast: "no" Cranberry Juice which I always have for breakfast.

Stateroom: "no" refrigerator

Luggage: My bags were sent to the Naughty Room, but I was never advised that they were there. No note in my stateroom or even a phone call. I had asked our room steward and he kept telling me that they had up to 9 p.m. to deliver them and not to worry. I went to the naughty room twice and could not find them. Finally at 9 p.m. after I went up to the top deck to wave goodbye to them (thinking they must have been left on the dock) I went to Passenger Services and finally saw my bags sitting in the back on a cart. I identified them and was asked to open them, when they did not find anything? they told me it was o.k. and I DRAGGED THEM BACK TO MY STATEROOM BY MYSELF. NO ONE OFFERED TO PORTER THEM FOR ME.

I will never travel on RCI again and I tell anyone who will listen about my horrible experience.

I would love to sail on one of the mega RCL ships. But...they only sail from the east coast and we are on the west coast. We hate the the hassle of flying to get there. We have friends who prefer RCL and unless we bite the bullet and put up with airports and uncomfortable cross country flights, we probably won't be sailing with them anymore. We've been happy with Princess however but we have not been on another line to compare them to. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

wow cruisewithh , you had all the worst luck on rci:(

this is obviously not the norm,or they would be out of business...we have several cruises with rci and every time our water/soda make it to the room just fine(except one time i was called to naughty room for inspection-no alcohol ,no problem)and very rarely hear "no" ...daquiris no problem...fridge-always had one:confused:

sometimes the planets just line up-against you:eek:

anyhoo , enjoy future cruises

dave

Thank you for all the replies.

I live in Vancouver so my husband and I regularly cruise Alaska (last minute deals) but we've only once taken the kids to Alaska (the 4 day round trip this past May). Itineraries are not important, the kids really couldn't care less where the boat cruises to as long as they can get dessert (they live for creme brûlée), freshly cooked pizza and there are movies under the stars. They are very food oriented ;-)

I'd like a round trip sailing from Vancouver since flying 4 people to/from Alaska can get a bit pricey and my husband is a nervous flyer (after our last cruise, he was that guy on the flight back from LA screaming 'we are going to die' when there was turbulence) which can be a tad embarrassing.

The boat is the Radiance of the Seas. It has a stop in Prince Rupert which seems odd to me though.

Edited by Van1982

I've been on Radiance and it's just so-so. The pools on Royal don't compare with the pools on Princess. MUTS on Princess is way better than the outdoor movie screen on Royal. Kids will prefer Princess. It's just better all around. My son, age 14, was not impressed with Royal. He likes Celebrity and Princess better.

I sailed on The Radiance a few years ago. I thought it was a pretty ship. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles as other Royal ship's. I find many similarities between Royal and Princess, but DH and I agree Princess has better food. Entertainment was similar when comparing a Radiance class ship to Princess. Similar to Coral or Island Princess. Hope that helps.

I sailed on The Radiance a few years ago. I thought it was a pretty ship. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles as other Royal ship's. I find many similarities between Royal and Princess, but DH and I agree Princess has better food. Entertainment was similar when comparing a Radiance class ship to Princess. Similar to Coral or Island Princess. Hope that helps.

I agree with you - the Radiance is a very pretty ship. It is also laid out very well. I think I like the simplicity of the Radiance (no bells and whistles) as it makes the ship shine on it's own merits.

I would also compare it to Coral or Island Princess. The buffet layout is better on Radiance. The solarium pool on Radiance was gorgeous.

I was just unimpressed with the lack of "Alaska info" on the ship. No enrichment programs like Princess. Maybe it has changed.

While I can't comment on the kids program, there were a ton of "gangs of kids" wandering (tormenting others) on the ship. It was a huge issue and I wasn't impressed with how RCCL handled things. My guess is that the week after had a different set of kids that were hopefully better behaved. Never experienced this on any other ship.

Edited by Coral

Coral - The kids never make use of the kids program. Cruises are the only time they actually want to hang with us....probably because we don't buy an Internet package and their phones lose service :-)

Coral - The kids never make use of the kids program. Cruises are the only time they actually want to hang with us....probably because we don't buy an Internet package and their phones lose service :-)

You know - the vast majority of parents know where their kids are and what they are doing and hold them accountable for their actions. Or in your case, spend their family vacation time with their family. Great concept!

For me, on my one Radiance cruise, there were some irresponsible parents who were not paying attention to what their kids were doing. What disappointed me was RCCL's reaction to this (or lack of). It did impact my cruise.

The ship was beautiful, layout great, food in dining room was fine, entertainment was fine.

I don't need the rock climbing etc but I think it would be fun, just once to experience Central Park and the Boardwalk on a ship. I think I might enjoy the ice shows too.

Yes, to your posting. Central Park and Boardwalk is definitely an experience. Even to have an outside cabin on those two areas is great. The Ice Shows and other shows are fantastic as they are something very different.