Misty fjord

konalee

I did the Misty Fjords flight tour out of Ketchikan with Island Wings. Michelle was our pilot and she is amazing. I recommend! Below is a cell phone photo.....

misty_zpsswscj9l7.jpg

Edited by frankdp

I also did Michelle with Island Wings Misty Fjords tour. Outstanding. I did not use a cell phone for my photos. However, if you are using a memory card with your camera, don't do what I did. We landed, she was helping me take pictures, and I ran out of space on my memory card. Take a backup memory card-everything she shows you is wonderful.

I also did Michelle with Island Wings Misty Fjords tour. Outstanding. I did not use a cell phone for my photos. However, if you are using a memory card with your camera, don't do what I did. We landed, she was helping me take pictures, and I ran out of space on my memory card. Take a backup memory card-everything she shows you is wonderful.

I used my Nikon for most photos, just used the cell phone to send some home quickly. Nikon is in my hand in this pic.

I went with Michelle back in May:D....it was wonderful...the first time

I went was back in 2009 and flew with her then too:)....the tour is

FANTASTIC:D

If anyone has done the Allen Marine boat trip to Misty Fjords can you please give us some details? Was it worth the 5 hours? I have read that it is 5 hours of boring and 1 hour of really nice when you finally reach the National Park.

If anyone has done the Allen Marine boat trip to Misty Fjords can you please give us some details? Was it worth the 5 hours? I have read that it is 5 hours of boring and 1 hour of really nice when you finally reach the National Park.

We've done or attempted the Misty Fjords trip three ways:

1) Boat out, plane back. We were warned as we left the dock that the weather was questionable for flights. Halfway to Misty Fjords, we were told that the weather was too poor for flying, and the boat turned back. Our excursion was free, but we didn't get to see MF.

2) My wife did the round-trip via float plane, which included a water landing in MF with time to walk out on the pontoon. She really enjoyed the tour, but found MF wasn't as amazing as she hoped. (The next day we did Tracy Arm Fjord, and that ended up being what she hoped/expected of MF).

3) In May we did the round-trip via boat on Allen Marine. Good tour but certainly long, and the trip back was a bit of a snooze fest. I'd do it again, but not unless/until I did several other tours/adventures.

I did the fly out and boat back. I thought the landing on the plane was great and scenery was gorgeous around Misty Fiords but once we left that area, it was very similar to what you see from the cruise ship when you sail in and out of the area. Many people took naps. I would do the boat again but I think you have a good take on the excursion that is RT boat.

IF you are including the one way flight with Misty Fiords, then you aren't going to get that far, with a boat only tour. The round trip boat tours, barely get into the Fiords and I am one, to claim, IF you spend some time viewing for several hours, from the cruise ship in/out of Ketchikan, you have a lot of the same view.

Sorry, but it was certainly wrong assumptions, above, with the Tracy Arm vs Misty Fiords ideas. Very, very different. There, also are BIG differences with flightseeing and boat tours. Little comparison there as well. Taking a look at photos, could go a long way with making the plans you want.

Edited by Budget Queen

We did that trip and enjoyed it. We've never seen Misty Fjords any other way, so can't compare, but we saw beautiful scenery and were lucky enough to see some wildlife as well. The naturalist on board was very informative and the staff was great.

The way back was a bit boring, but we enjoyed using that time to sit and relax since we'd be up on our feet most of the trip and were planning to walk around Ketchikan on our return. And I would say maybe 1 hour of boring and the rest was really beautiful.

Again, I can't compare to other tours since I haven't done them, but we definitely enjoyed this tour and were glad we did it.

I am booked on Seawind Aviation, which was offering a huge discount Mom was unable to pass up. We also preferred the earlier takeoff time (11:30 departure). But I would love to try Island Wings if I ever get a second chance.

We are both excited about taking this tour, but I would have preferred a cruise-and-fly excursion to get different views of MF each way.

We just returned from Alaska a couple of weeks ago. We took the Allen Marine Misty Fjords boat tour --- would not repeat this excursion again. The scenery we saw from the boat was pretty much the same that we had been experiencing from the ship. We did have a naturalist on board, we listened to a Tlingit story-teller, as well as a few mini-presentations on life in Alaska by a couple of crew members. There was a snack bar and we were given something small to eat (clam chowder?) but I don't remember what it was because I passed on it.

The transit to Behm Canal was long (we did see people sleeping coming and going --- but that could also be from seasick meds --- trying not to slam the excursion.) :) Once we got there we had a couple of opportunities to see some beautiful waterfalls --- still nothing we haven't already seen while cruising. Wildlife was almost non-existent.