Australian drinkers

Missed the word alcoholic, but still 8-10 drinks a day, spread out through the day [about a drink an hour] you would still be under 0.05.

The Captain through to the entertainment staff could not believe how much Aussies could drink and still be coherent. I'm not sure that they will offer 'Free'

drink packages again on New Year or Australia Day cruises

I helped with the number but I don't think that I had 10 alcoholic drinks a day

but then again if I did I wound't remember

Cruise Love

My Professional association has its diner each year in a club with breathalyser in the foyer. One bloke drank 8 beers one after another, [about 15 minutes] waited 30 minutes and blew zero.

So yep we all take it differently, but the accepted formula is 3 or 4 in the first hour and one an hour thereafter to stay at about 0.05

That bloke would have had his reading skyrocket after an hour or so when the alcohol enters the blood stream.

I think that if drinking (alcoholic drinks) from lunch time to midnight, it would be very easy for some to have well over 15 or 20 drinks and not be staggering however, it would really depend on the alcohol. I think the majority of people would maybe have more like 5-8 drinks in that time.

Edited by MicCanberra

So yep we all take it differently, but the accepted formula is 3 or 4 in the first hour and one an hour thereafter to stay at about 0.05

The correct limit as advised by the police is 2 in the first hour and then one per hour to stay under 0.05. Three in the first hour will put many people over the limit.

HAL gives a bevvy package away to almost everyone in the US, even for Australian sailings, but they never give them to Aussies. We have to buy them, and both passengers must buy them even if one is a non-drinker.

The beverage package from HAL aint all its cracked up to be. Friends did an Alaska cruise with Americans they had met on previous cruises. They were included in a group booking in the States and a BP was included for everyone. However , once on board , as soon as the staff knew you had a package deal they left you alone and only looked after those who were paying...and tipping.... as they went.

My Professional association has its diner each year in a club with breathalyser in the foyer. One bloke drank 8 beers one after another, [about 15 minutes] waited 30 minutes and blew zero.

It varies more for women, especially at those certain times of the month. If I'm driving I never have more than one small glass of wine, just in case.

That bloke would have had his reading skyrocket after an hour or so when the alcohol enters the blood stream.

Maybe not. Our breathalyzer experiment dinner was over 2-3 hours and ex barely hit 0.01 at the end. Can't remember if he checked it again when we got home. He wasn't a big drinker usually, liked wine with a meal mostly.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We tested him every hour or so zero every time, it was really strange.

Edited by GUT2407

The correct limit as advised by the police is 2 in the first hour and then one per hour to stay under 0.05. Three in the first hour will put many people over the limit.

HAL gives a bevvy package away to almost everyone in the US, even for Australian sailings, but they never give them to Aussies. We have to buy them, and both passengers must buy them even if one is a non-drinker.

Yep I was thinking of when I did my license when t was 0.08.

The beverage package from HAL aint all its cracked up to be. Friends did an Alaska cruise with Americans they had met on previous cruises. They were included in a group booking in the States and a BP was included for everyone. However , once on board , as soon as the staff knew you had a package deal they left you alone and only looked after those who were paying...and tipping.... as they went.

You would think that would encourage them to offer the packages to Aussies then.:p

However , once on board , as soon as the staff knew you had a package deal they left you alone and only looked after those who were paying...and tipping.... as they went.

I have never had that problem.

I always have a soft drink package, and they mustn't get much out of that, never tip as I go, and have never had a problem getting a drink.

Edited by GUT2407

It varies more for women, especially at those certain times of the month. If I'm driving I never have more than one small glass of wine, just in case.

I have heard the moon does crazy things with tides as well.:p

I have never had that problem.

always have a soft drink package, and they mustn't get much out of that, never tip as I go, and have never had a problem getting a drink.

David was referring to HAL, in my experience on X cruises, I had any issues getting served, except once in one bar. He wouldn't serve anyone.

And you have nothing before lunch, throw n a mimosa or Bloody Mary with breakfast a 2nd glass of wine at lunch and maybe 2 or 3 during the evening show and even 15 isn't out of the question. Without being rolling drunk.

Can't handle alcohol before lunch.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the evening show. I think I could do 10 but no more. But remember I'm drinking cocktails some of which, like martinis, are often pure spirits, and wine which is 12-14% alcohol. Beer drinkers, with the lower alcohol content, could easily hit 15 drinks a day.

I must admit I felt a bit fuzzy-brained on a couple of the days early in that cruise. Some of the cocktails were very strong. We had one by the pool one day that was effectively a tall glass of pure alcohol and ice. :eek: We watched the guy make it. He was free-pouring and basically ran out of room to add the mixer. We ended up getting a separate glass of club soda to water them down. We certainly didn't have more than one poolside cocktail that day. I think it took me about two hours to drink it. I ended up getting extra ice from the dispenser to keep it cool.

We tested him every hour or so zero every time, it was really strange.

Some of the cheap testers give progressively false readings the shorter the time between repeat testings.

So if the same person had blown into your tester over and over (instead of passing it around the group ) I suspect their readings would have dropped.

Anyway, Celebrity cruise last year had a drinks package plus was in a suite with unlimited drinks at Michaels club and a bartender who was quick to have your next glass ready before you'd finished your last.

So, on sea days, wine tasting in the morning. Two glasses of wine with lunch. One or two glasses of wine with canapes in the cabin around 4. One or two glasses of wine in Michaels club pre dinner. Four glasses of wine over dinner. A cocktail at the show. And then three plus liquers in Michaels club before climbing the stairs six floors back to the suite - so clearly still walking :)

Anyway, Celebrity cruise last year had a drinks package plus was in a suite with unlimited drinks at Michaels club and a bartender who was quick to have your next glass ready before you'd finished your last.

So, on sea days, wine tasting in the morning. Two glasses of wine with lunch. One or two glasses of wine with canapes in the cabin around 4. One or two glasses of wine in Michaels club pre dinner. Four glasses of wine over dinner. A cocktail at the show. And then three plus liquers in Michaels club before climbing the stairs six floors back to the suite - so clearly still walking :)

Individually it can be done easily, but not everyone on the ship would be drinkers let alone drinking 8-10 alcoholic drinks per day. That would mean that some are drinking double that per day for the week.:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

I agree OzKiwiJJ. We have an upcoming cruise on RCI and we are looking at the drinks packages because our normal holiday is camping and we would have a beer with lunch and then beers on the beach and beers or wine with dinner. On a cruise I'm sure I will turn those beers into cocktails but I think the hubby will stick to beers and wine.

I agree OzKiwiJJ. We have an upcoming cruise on RCI and we are looking at the drinks packages because our normal holiday is camping and we would have a beer with lunch and then beers on the beach and beers or wine with dinner. On a cruise I'm sure I will turn those beers into cocktails but I think the hubby will stick to beers and wine.

Convince him that since he's on a glamorous cruise ship he has to pretend he's James Bond and drink martinis, at least in the evenings ;) :D

Here you go: Martinis_zpssyej0zxf.jpg

Edited by OzKiwiJJ