Raising gratuities again!

HoopTroop

NCL doesn't require tipping,

Yes, that is what they say and then in the next breath they tell you that there is a mandatory 18% gratuity put on almost everything.

That now includes 18% on the cost of a Spa pass :mad:

Lois

NCL considers the DSC as gratuities when they offer it as a booking bonus. They use both service charge and gratuities to identify the same charges.

Only on Cruise critic have I seen the two terms used to perpetuate arguments.

No...service charges and gratuities continue to be separately defined in NCL's FAQs, and the per diem charge added to your on board account is identified as a service charge, not a gratuity, in the guest ticket contract.

The NCL marketing people who design the promotions just did a lousy job of explaining what was being offered as a booking incentive.

No...service charges and gratuities continue to be separately defined in NCL's FAQs, and the per diem charge added to your on board account is identified as a service charge, not a gratuity, in the guest ticket contract.

The NCL marketing people who design the promotions just did a lousy job of explaining what was being offered as a booking incentive.

The promo called them GRATUITIES and made no mention of SERVICE CHARGES. I was not charged either after selecting it as a booking bonus.

AS I stated earlier. Cruise Critic is the ONLY place anyone argues about the difference.

Wow that tells me that there has been a big increase in people removing gratuity if they are making it more cumbersome process to do.

I don't know if there has been an increase or decrease. I'm just saying what the process is for approximately the past 2 months.

I don't know if there has been an increase or decrease. I'm just saying what the process is for approximately the past 2 months.

On my recent cruise, I overheard two crew members say they had not received any pay increases since the DSC was increased. It causes some concern and speculation why NCL is being so diligent in their efforts to thwart the DSC removal. Are the increases being used for the benefit of the crew ???

On my recent cruise, I overheard two crew members say they had not received any pay increases since the DSC was increased. It causes some concern and speculation why NCL is being so diligent in their efforts to thwart the DSC removal. Are the increases being used for the benefit of the crew ???

my experience has not been that NCL is being vigilant to thwart DSC removal. Only that they have changed the process.

a refund will process before a bill is due on your end. Think of it as a very short term interest free loan from your credit card to NCL.

As to whether crew receive an increase; perhaps at contract renewal date. I did not discuss with any crew my last trip but I've never heard of two unscheduled raises in under a year and outside of 3rd party employment terms.

Sorry that's a pretty strong non answer but I don't want my explanation of how one part works to be twisted to mean anything more than my original description. :cool:

Do you know if the two crew members have been written up for not doing their job adequately? Do you know if the two crew members have had complaints about them wasting time talking about their compensation in front of passengers? Do you know, in fact, that no other crew members received an increase?

This is what is wrong with folks insinuating that increases are not being used for the benefit of the crew....they have no idea if (1) the crew members, they eavesdrop on, deserve (based on their performance) an increase and (2) if the crew members in question were just talking so passengers could hear them because they are looking for tips.

If one doesn't want to pay the DSC, don't pay it, but if you are going to try and convince others that the DSC doesn't all go to the crew, state facts, not conjecture.

I am booked on a cruise for April of 2016. When i sign into my account on NCL's website and go to "pre-pay service charges", I am still being charged only $12 per person per day. Maybe I should prepay those now.

How does pre-paying service charges work with NCL?

Do you know if the two crew members have been written up for not doing their job adequately? Do you know if the two crew members have had complaints about them wasting time talking about their compensation in front of passengers? Do you know, in fact, that no other crew members received an increase?

This is what is wrong with folks insinuating that increases are not being used for the benefit of the crew....they have no idea if (1) the crew members, they eavesdrop on, deserve (based on their performance) an increase and (2) if the crew members in question were just talking so passengers could hear them because they are looking for tips.

If one doesn't want to pay the DSC, don't pay it, but if you are going to try and convince others that the DSC doesn't all go to the crew, state facts, not conjecture.

I wouldn't answer your questions if I knew. I posted what I heard, and your usual response is an attempt to discredit my post and defend NCL.

I resent your accusation that I was eavesdropping. I posted what I heard, and you weren't there, so please refrain from making accusations and insinuations.

If you know how NCL handles the increases and the DSC, that information would be beneficial to all who read these boards, but I don't believe you can ferret out that information from the description NCL offers.

For the benefit of those who read this, I did not pay the DSC because NCL offered it as a booking bonus

so I would have no reason to post this if it were not true and factual.

Edited by swedish weave

I wouldn't answer your questions if I knew. I posted what I heard, and your usual response is an attempt to discredit my post and defend NCL.

I resent your accusation that I was eavesdropping. I posted what I heard, and you weren't there, so please refrain from making accusations and insinuations.

If you know how NCL handles the increases and the DSC, that information would be beneficial to all who read these boards, but I don't believe you can ferret out that information from the description NCL offers.

I certainly wouldn't vilifying them without having proof.

Unless they were talking to you, well..... And, don't you ask yourself, why they were discussing their compensation in a place where passengers could overhear them? And how do you know they were speaking the truth?

I think most have been quite honest and have said that no one knows how NCL distributes the DSC nor do most care how it is distributed.

If you don't believe what NCL says and you chose to continue to sail with them, they have a procedure in place where you can received all or part of your DSC back, but if you are going to try to convince others of wrong doings by NCL, then pony up your proof.

I certainly wouldn't vilifying them without having proof.

Unless they were talking to you, well..... And, don't you ask yourself, why they were discussing their compensation in a place where passengers could overhear them? And how do you know they were speaking the truth?

I think most have been quite honest and have said that no one knows how NCL distributes the DSC nor do most care how it is distributed.

If you don't believe what NCL says and you chose to continue to sail with them, they have a procedure in place where you can received all or part of your DSC back, but if you are going to try to convince others of wrong doings by NCL, then pony up your proof.

You are attempting to villify me without proof. I will post and ask questions as I see fit as long as CC allows me to post truthful information and to ask questions that are pertinent to the subject of the thread. I don't want the DSC back because it was paid by NCL. Where did you get the idea I wanted compensation ?? End of this ridiculous conversation.

Edited by swedish weave

You are attempting to villify me without proof. I will post and ask questions as I see fit as long as CC allows me to post truthful information and to ask questions that are pertinent to the subject of the thread. End of this ridiculous conversation.
I'm not vilifying you nor have I ever said that anyone should not post their questions or post any information, I'm disagreeing that you have any facts, just hearsay with no facts to back it up. And Cruise Critic allows me to question information that is posted that I feel is not based on facts, just as you have done when someone states that the DSC benefits the crew. Edited by NLH Arizona

A person here posts information that they over heard and a poster who always takes NCL side of any debates attempt to discredit the poster without adding anything in the way of proof. ..The simply fact that one complaint can cut a crew members share of gratuities is all that I need to know....

Ncl themselves can simply post a complain and avoid paying their employees the money they deserve. I always pay my manditory grats as well as place cash in the hands who give me good service.

Yes, that is what they say and then in the next breath they tell you that there is a mandatory 18% gratuity put on almost everything.

That now includes 18% on the cost of a Spa pass :mad:

Lois

Ugh! What ship and sailing? I am on the Pearl in 4 days and booked my spa pass on October 3 and was charged no gratuity/tip/service charge/devil's cut/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. I may have thought twice if I had been charged an additional fee on top of the pass, so want to be prepared for future cruises. Thanks!

P.S. I would never consider revoking the DSC no matter what (even to save a $1-2 increase per day from when I originally booked, because I'm seriously lucky enough to be cruising at all) and always tip extra on land or sea. But I do see passes to a geographical location on the ship as different and rather exempt from extra charges.

Edited by piper45maru

A person here posts information that they over heard and a poster who always takes NCL side of any debates attempt to discredit the poster without adding anything in the way of proof. ..The simply fact that one complaint can cut a crew members share of gratuities is all that I need to know....

Ncl themselves can simply post a complain and avoid paying their employees the money they deserve. I always pay my manditory grats as well as place cash in the hands who give me good service.

Where did you read that one complaint can cut a crew members share of the gratuities? Is that on NCL's website?

Just an FYI: On Jan. 1, 2016, Princess Cruis Line will raise the daily gratuity rate for most passengers from $11.50 to $12.95. For those staying in suites, the fee will jump from $12 to $13.95.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Ugh! What ship and sailing? I am on the Pearl in 4 days and booked my spa pass on October 3 and was charged no gratuity/tip/service charge/devil's cut/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. I may have thought twice if I had been charged an additional fee on top of the pass, so want to be prepared for future cruises. Thanks!

Spa services have incurred a gratuity for a long time. Not sure about a pass though.

Spa services have incurred a gratuity for a long time. Not sure about a pass though.

I went into my December Dawn reservation and here is what it said for the spa pass:

Thermal Suite Pass

Save $20 off the onboard price when you book online!

Refresh, recharge and relax. Experience the ultimate in heat and water therapy at the Thermal Suite and enjoy the resplendent views.

PRICE $ 119.00

No mention of any gratuity, maybe it is there when you check out, but since I'm not purchasing one, I didn't go that far in the process.

I went back and found this:

Guests must be 18 or older to indulge in our spa services.

*An 18% gratuity and spa service charge will be added at checkout.

I did go all the way through to paying for it and it didn't add any gratuity to it. So, call me confused.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Totally unfair!!! I booked my January 2016 cruise in June 2015. The contract shows the gratuities are $12.95. I made final payment this week. Since reading this thread, I looked at the confirmation of final payment and now it shows gratuities are $13.50. I never received any kind of notification email. Since I've made final payment, is it too late to prepay gratuities at $12.95? If it can be done, where on MYNCL do I find it.

I've about had it with Mr. DelRio!

I was talking about a spa pass, as was the poster I quoted, so not sure where spa services came in to the conversation?

Just as an aside, since you brought up spa services, I've always paid 18-20% auto gratuities on land or sea for spa services (though have not had many on land and only one at sea, since they are a luxury!) and have always tipped extra cash on top of that.

Totally unfair!!! I booked my January 2016 cruise in June 2015. The contract shows the gratuities are $12.95. I made final payment this week. Since reading this thread, I looked at the confirmation of final payment and now it shows gratuities are $13.50. I never received any kind of notification email. Since I've made final payment, is it too late to prepay gratuities at $12.95? If it can be done, where on MYNCL do I find it.

Go to your Vacation Summary on your reservation in your MYNCL and go to Pre-Pay Service Charges. If it shows the $13.50 or isn't there, I would call NCL and let them know that you got no notification and you want to pay the old rate. If you get no satisfaction from them, when you are on your cruise, ask for the form to reduce your DSC and send it in for the difference between the two figures. Edited by NLH Arizona

Give them a call since it automatically "locks" one out, if one makes full final payment before paying the DSC 1st. (Weird, but that how their system is set up). You have until the actual final payment date (90 days before the official sail date) to pay at the old rate; otherwise you're paying the new one.

The normal way to prepay it under MyNCL.com, is under "Vacation Summary" and the tab underneath that says "Prepay Service Charges".

The promo called them GRATUITIES and made no mention of SERVICE CHARGES. I was not charged either after selecting it as a booking bonus.

AS I stated earlier. Cruise Critic is the ONLY place anyone argues about the difference.

Yes, well what you said earlier is wrong and your repeating it doesn't make it right.

The facts are just as I stated them:

(1) Per NCL's FAQs, the service charge and gratuities are different.

(2) Per the guest ticket contract, the per diem charge that is added to your on board account is a service charge. The contract never calls it a gratuity or tip.

(3) The promotion's wording stunk. It a service charge promotion, not a tip promotion. You weren't charged the service charge because that is what the promotion was providing. The promotion never paid your tips because tips aren't charged to your on board account. Tips are cash you provide directly to the crew member.