Weather this July

twroths

We will be on Solstice in about a week heading from Seattle to Alaska and back. What has the weather been like? Debating heavier coats etc. The forecasts are looking rather mild. Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks, Tom

I can't comment on what your weather will be but we've done Alaska twice, once in late August & once in mid July. We did not take heavy coats either time. Your best option is to take layers. Both times we had shirts &/or sweaters, a fleece, and a water resistant wind breaker weight jacket. The July trip we also had rain pants. Both times we took gloves and head bands for glacier viewing. We used everything we took but if we had had winter weight jackets only we would have been over heated in several ports.

The rain pants were appreciated on our July trip. Fleece is reasonably priced in Alaska.

Honestly, check out a variety of weather websites, see what they're forecasting.

The weather can changes dramatically in one up there. My last trip there, when we were in Skagway, the day started off rainy and in the lower 40's. It then shifted to sunny and in the upper 60's.

Hi,:) I agree with the layering suggestion AND you need to check the

weather before you go.....you can go to weather.com and put in

each city over "the 10 day span" they offer.....do this before you

get ready to pack. It is usually pretty accurate and can be a big

help.

I went to Solstice in May and got really lucky.....we had sunny weather

and it was in the 50's and 60's every day:D...I did layer and I don't even

a heavy coat and didn't need one....actually I was going to bring

a fleece jacket and after checking the weather I even decided to leave

it home....I never missed it:)......normally, during the day, I had a knit

"sweater jacket"...if that makes sense....the arms and back are a knit,

the front is quilted. It worked really well for me......I did usually wear

a cotton tank...then over that, a long sleeved shirt....or sometimes

a pullover sweater (not a bulky one).......like I said, our weather

was just awesome:)

Edited by Lois R

Layers! With the topmost layer something like a Gore Tex jacket with hood. Very light, very packable, crushable, totally waterproof.

Please bring gloves, if for no other time than the day with the glaciers/fjords. You will be glad! Also something for your head. I use a wool head wrap like you use for snow skiing. If you don't have your hands and head covered you're just going to be standing out there shivering. Bring the stuff, and then you can enjoy.

A big heavy coat or jacket isn't the best idea. But a long sleeve tee or similar item, a light sweater and/or light fleece and then the Gore Tex over it.

That way you can mix and match. You'll need all three at the glacier. Layers. It could be you use some of it in ports/excursions, but you also could be wearing a short sleeve tee. Sometimes you never know.

Celebrity also (not surprisingly) has stacks and stacks of fleece sweatshirts and jackets on sale during the cruise and in the ports you'll also see the same. If you like your outerwear emblazoned with embroidered things you'll be in heaven.

When we cruise Alaska we take the fluffy things like sweaters and sweatshirts and put them in a space bag and suck out the air. Then they don't take up so much room in the suitcase.

The Gore Tex (we bought on sale for $80 at Cabela's) jackets we use from November through March here and on all vacations and at winter football games. A purchase we highly recommend. A bonus is they fold to practically nothing.

About a week out, get the 10-day forecast on Weather Channel app. It will give a general idea but you know weather. If you don't like it, no worries, it'll change in an hour.