odd ?

Has anyone ever worked part time for a cruise line at the port on embarkation days? If so, did you enjoy it and did you receive any perks? I am dreaming of the days that I can retire and do something part time.

I'm assuming you mean discounts on cruises as "perks"? In many, if not most ports, the employees at the embarkation terminals are not cruise line employees. They are either port authority employees or employed by a subcontractor. They may wear a cruise lines' logo, but if you came back the next day when another line's ship was embarking, they may be wearing that line's logo that day.

My brother and SIL (both retired) work part time at a cruise port in Fla. They work for an independent contractor. Their only 'perk' is a paycheck! HOWEVER, they both love what they are doing. They have discovered that for some reason, the people getting on the ship seem so much happier than the ones getting off! I have no idea why that would be!!!;)

. They have discovered that for some reason' date=' the people getting on the ship seem so much happier than the ones getting off! I have no idea why that would be!!!;)[/quote']

I believe we best start a campaign to end "Final Destination Depression" in the cruise industry :D Me think the only cure is to book another.

Just curious....why would you call this thread "Odd'?? instead of the actual topic you want discussed, i.e. benefits of working port check in??

I see this several times on thread titles where the OP gives strange titles. Is it just to see how many people will click on it??

[/b]

Has anyone ever worked part time for a cruise line at the port on embarkation days? If so, did you enjoy it and did you receive any perks? I am dreaming of the days that I can retire and do something part time.

Not odd at all! I have always thought that it would be awesome to move to Florida and work for RCCL :) I wonder what (if any) discounts you receive if you work in the Miami office. Discounts would be great since there are many ships in Florida that you could get to on short notice. There is a Careers link on the RCCL website if you are serious.

As a side note....we will be on Adventure the week before you! Will be our 4th sailing on AOS, can't wait! :)

Met a retired gentleman on Celebrity whose last job was debarkation coordinator for RCI in Miami. He said he'd often show up for work, check to see if there were open cabins on the next cruise, and then book at an incredible discount. He said his wife always had cruise bags packed so he'd call his son and tell him to drop mom at the port. At the time we met, he had 73 cruises on his favorite ship Majesty. He said employees were not allowed to accrue C&A points.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm assuming you mean discounts on cruises as "perks"? In many, if not most ports, the employees at the embarkation terminals are not cruise line employees. They are either port authority employees or employed by a subcontractor. They may wear a cruise lines' logo, but if you came back the next day when another line's ship was embarking, they may be wearing that line's logo that day.

The one exception I know of is Disney's terminal in Port Canaveral. The cast members who check you in, who are in the terminal to answer questions...basically everyone other than the porters and security and CBP are employed by Disney Cruise Line.

I don't know if they have part-time or not though.

My brother and SIL (both retired) work part time at a cruise port in Fla. They work for an independent contractor. Their only 'perk' is a paycheck! HOWEVER' date=' they both love what they are doing. They have discovered that for some reason, the people getting on the ship seem so much happier than the ones getting off! I have no idea why that would be!!!;)[/quote']

That´s pretty easy to answer. Those going onboard are looking Forward to a great vacation. Those debarking have been on the worst cruise ever and are eager to get home to get on CC and write a complaint thread demanding compensation and asking for the email of the CEO;):p:D

I traveled to Alaska for a photography workshop and while in Seward met a girl who worked for RCCL. She worked at the port checking passengers in and handing out Sea Passes etc. The way she explained it to me was she worked approximately five hours a shift one day a week and only during cruise season in Alaska. For that she was paid an hourly wage and for every "season" that she fulfilled her contract she got a free 7 day cruise on any RCCL ship she wanted to cruise as long as space was available. She had nothing but positive things to say and was starting her third year with the company at the time I met her. Her husband was very positive about it as that was how they were able to go on a honeymoon!:D Not sure if things have changed since then but that's how it was explained to me.

Just curious....why would you call this thread "Odd'?? instead of the actual topic you want discussed, i.e. benefits of working port check in??

I see this several times on thread titles where the OP gives strange titles. Is it just to see how many people will click on it??

Welcome to the internet my friend. :)

Please allow me to direct you to the videos of cats doing hilarious things.

That´s pretty easy to answer. Those going onboard are looking Forward to a great vacation. Those debarking have been on the worst cruise ever and are eager to get home to get on CC and write a complaint thread demanding compensation and asking for the email of the CEO;):p:D

AKA "The Cruise from Hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

LOL

AKA "The Cruise from Hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

LOL

I think Pat'sSeaHag was actually trying to infer that folks were sad to leave the ship, which is opposite the excitement of those just boarding the ship. I'm just guessing, but that's how I interpreted it.

Edited by Kingofwylietx

I think Pat'sSeaHag was actually trying to infer that folks were sad to leave the ship, which is opposite the excitement of those just boarding the ship. I'm just guessing, but that's how I interpreted it.

I think you are missing the joke. :)