UK Cruisers out of Southampton

*source*

What have been your experiences with taking wine onboard? How have you packaged it and how strict are Princess in Southampton? I have read copious amounts of threads on the subject and each says something different so I would like to see people's experiences in Southampton!

I usually take a couple of bottles in my backpack. I personally have never seen the 'wine table' set up to collect corkage fee at Soton.

Screening is done by 3rd party security Co. Not princess. Never seen anyone questioned by them about how many bottles are in bags.

I expect someone will be along shortly to say the opposite.

Edited by SwissDave

We boarded the Royal in May, sailing out of Southampton, with two bottles of wine purchased at an area vineyard. Both bottles were in DH's carry-on which was run through the scanner, nobody questioned the wine. I was in the adjacent line, and forgot I had a couple of small bottles of wine from the BA flight and a couple of small mini-gins from a tour of Plymouth Gin tossed in with the bath lotions and make-up. Not confiscated. I had a couple of bottles of water in my tote bag, it was scanned, but nobody looked at them to verify it really was water.

Interesting note on security - DH had to remove his belt, both of us had to remove shoes - much like at the airport. Well, if memory serves me, I didn't remove my shoes for our flight.

When we were checking in to obtain our room key card, etc., a I heard a few staff making friendly reminders to those in line that only two bottles of wine would be allowed, and no alcohol.

Darcy

Thanks to you all for your replies. Now tell me how best to package it. I know they stipulate carry on baggage but I only have a handbag to carry on!!??!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

We cruised out of Southampton last September. We took on 6 bottles of wine very blatantly in a wine tote bag, a bit like this one http://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Wine-Bottle-Tote-Bags/dp/B00R3QM2E6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437217524&sr=8-3&keywords=wine+bag

We asked when we checked in where we should pay for the 4 bottles, the agent had no idea. We asked as we went through security, no idea. We asked when we got on the ship, no idea. We took them to the cabin and met our steward and asked him - no idea but he did get us some wine glasses and a proper ice bucket that fits a bottle of wine.

We enjoyed the wine in our cabin and would sometimes take a glass of wine out of the cabin and up to the HC with us to have with lunch, or take a glass to the Piazza to have a drink before dinner. We never took a bottle out of the room so I don't know if we'd have been charged corkage at that point. We also bought the Gold 12 bottle wine package and found that having 18 bottles of wine between the 2 of us for 14 nights was the right amount.

We cruised out of Southampton last September. We took on 6 bottles of wine very blatantly in a wine tote bag, a bit like this one http://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Wine-Bottle-Tote-Bags/dp/B00R3QM2E6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437217524&sr=8-3&keywords=wine+bag

We asked when we checked in where we should pay for the 4 bottles, the agent had no idea. We asked as we went through security, no idea. We asked when we got on the ship, no idea. We took them to the cabin and met our steward and asked him - no idea but he did get us some wine glasses and a proper ice bucket that fits a bottle of wine.

We enjoyed the wine in our cabin and would sometimes take a glass of wine out of the cabin and up to the HC with us to have with lunch, or take a glass to the Piazza to have a drink before dinner. We never took a bottle out of the room so I don't know if we'd have been charged corkage at that point. We also bought the Gold 12 bottle wine package and found that having 18 bottles of wine between the 2 of us for 14 nights was the right amount.

Thanks very much for this information - and the link to the tote. I had been thinking of packaging my wine in something more substantial, but maybe this would be a good plan too - just easy and can carry on - thanks:)

Thanks very much for this information - and the link to the tote. I had been thinking of packaging my wine in something more substantial, but maybe this would be a good plan too - just easy and can carry on - thanks:)

Ours was from Tesco. About £1.50.