Local update - all cool

nick_arch

Banks finally opening this Monday July 20th 2015, after three weeks of being closed.

I 'd expect gradually, from Tuesday and on, any issues with atm's being minimised or even zero-ed.

ATM'S - CASH WITHDRAWALS

Again, once more, reminding that even during these three weeks, atm's were operating with no withdrawal limit for internationally issued cards except the limit of the card itself of course.

Issues here and there were reported and observed, mainly with queues of 6 - 20 people at central atm's in bigger towns during shop opening hours and with some atm's running out of money at the end of the day. During these three weeks i fall on 1 atm in Athens having no money, we also had 3 reports in Trip Advisor of people not being able not to get cash from an atm. At the same time we had dozens of reports from people that had no issues at all and got money from atm's, reporting it is business as usual, especially on the islands and the mainland.

CREDIT CARDS

During the same time, credit cards were accepted anywhwere they were accepted before, and the credit cards system was running smoothly. I used my credit card ( or debit card instead of cash pr a prepaid card ) multiple times during these three weeks, i 'g guess it's 4 - 5 times a day, 70 - 80 transactions overall with absolutely no issues.

We had some reports of local establishments preferring cash over credit card even if they had the necessary equipment. We also had some very scarce reports of businesses, i think it was 2 reports in TA during the first days, denying credit card use. About this last one, i remind that if a business does have a functional credit card payments system etc, it is against the local law to deny a credit card payment.

Be reminded that anyway this is a country where many places accept cash only, for a number of reasons, main reason is either indifference or lack of proper equipment, so we are not really talking about a cashLess society here. For example, Acropolis site ( !! ) accepts cash only ( grrrr ).

LIFE AND EVERYDAY CONDITIONS

We have no upcoming information about strikes or any disruptions. During these three weeks we had 1 strike day that affected public sector and a demonstration at Syndagma Square.

Life rolls normally, i doubt anyone will get we are going through some fiscal crisis 7 years now.

PRECAUTIONS AND ADVISE

Please take this with a pinch of salt. I am not a travel analyst, nor an official source of information of any kind, nor travel business related, so this is only privately given advise from a volunteer.

Things look normal. During all these weeks i was very hesitant to give the usual advise given even from official authorities to take as much cash as possible. "As much cash as possible" is nonsensical to me. . .

- What i would suggest would be NOT to rely completely to atm's and NOT to rely completely on credit cards or other electronic means of payment.

Greece is a country where someone should rely on a diverse set of ways of payment.

Do take some cash ( in euros ), most preferably from the country of your origin to remove any stress off local atm's system and do take good care of it. Rely on atm's also to get some cash "as you go", still do have some cash in hand before arriving, for your own convenience and ease of mind. There are no issues with local atm's, still i 'll continue giving the same advise for weeks after banks open. So: carry different means to pay things: cash and a credit card and a debit card. Perhaps due to the volatility of the situation some weeks ago is wise to carry some more cash for 3 - 4 days if you are a traveller in the country and not arriving just for some hours as a cruise ship passenger.

- It is common sense to understand that atm and credit card use is more widespread in towns and places where tourists arrive or locals do business.

- it is common sense to understand that a tiny restaurant in a mountainous village, somewhere in there, the perfect spot to have the perfect meal may not ba accepting cards since they may not even have a DSL connection up there.

- Prepaid cards work normally.

- Take good care of your cash if you carry a lot. I am always anxious when i carry cash, i avoid it every day, i have avoided it even during these three weeks. I have been carrying 40 - 60 euros every day and using my credit card the banknotes were stuck in the wallet unused for days ( talking about downtown Athens ). I am Mr. Super Clumsy when it comes to cash, so carrying cash is not my best idea of having fun. So i try to make my life more simple and it is possible even during these days.

- Using cash is the way many people prefer. Take good care of it and spend in the local economy. It helps :) A very good reason to take more cash this year is the extremely good exchange rate from USD or GBP to euros, so take this into consideration. Please do ask for receipts.

- Using credit card is the way many people prefer. Spend also if it is possible :) An electronic payment secures also that the payment will be taxed.

- Regarding some articles around about shortages, especially of food. . . i 'd say that i have never seen shelves in the supermarkets so full with food, from floor to ceiling. It was three weeks of very careful planning for supermarkets and restaurants. Of course no shortages have been observed.

- Last but not least: Plan, plan, plan. Planning is also the best way to juice out the best from every destination, anywhere in the world. And: it is fun. . .

The whole thing slowly goes down to a more functional situation for us locals. It has been 99% functional for tourists too during these three and a half weeks, except perhaps 12 - 24 hours at Day 1, Day 2 and the strike day. Be reminded once more that atm's and credit cards have been and are functional with no limits for travellers.

Peace all and happy planning.

Edited by nick_arch

I'll be in Greece on cruises in less than 2 weeks and again in mid-September. I have no qualms - and never have had - about visiting Greece and can't wait to revisit a country I have enjoyed many times, on cruises but lots more times on land vacations.

Your updates have been invaluable and a wise counterpoint to the scaremongering and some alarmist posts which have occasionally appeared on these boards

Thank you :)

I've followed this board and particularly your posts for the last few weeks. We'll be making our first trip to Greece in September and we are very much looking forward to it. Your reassuring words of wisdom kept us feeling confident thru all the turmoil re: your country's current financial situation. We hope normalcy is restored to banking and that things start to smooth out. We are most grateful for your numerous updates here and on TA, and for your level-headed advice. You, Sir, are one of the best ambassadors there could ever be for Greece! :p