Excursion reservation

popomama

Hi,

I have an upcoming 7-night star princess Alaska cruise at the end of August.

I am trying to figure out the excursion plan in the next a couple of days. My question are

(1) Is going with Princess the only way to reserve the excursion?

(2) If there is other place to book the excursion, what are they and what is the advantage/disadvantage? Price? Options?

Thanks.

Booking tours privately is always an option- you are almost never forced to book thru the cruise line- certainly not in Alaska.

Each port is covered extensively down the board. However, as your cruise is only a couple of week away, you are a little behind the curve- many private and ship's excursions will already be sold out.

Have you checked your roll call- sometimes people have arranged private tours and have openings.

CruiserBruce has it right.

You can look for private tours and a great source is here and also on trip advisor.

You can also check out your roll call to see what others are doing.

And you can certainly go with the cruise line.

Keith

NONE of the tours are operated by the cruise lines. The cruise line is just booking them for you. There are a few that you do have to book this way due to contacts but most you can book independently.

you FIRST have to know what tours?? Otherwise, you are going to end up with the same thing, a booking agent who books your tours.

Have you looked at your shore excursion list? Narrowed down your interests? Selected tours? ALL this needs to be done- prior to any vendor recommending.

Do NOT expect significant cost savings- this isn't the Caribbean. :) What you can get depending on the selection is smaller groups, longer tours, more personal attention. This is especially a big advantage with some tours. Depends on you and your priorities.

I always recommend, if booking independent- book direct with the vendor, you then get specific accurate information and the best scheduling option for your port time. I never recommend using booking agents, because you don't have much if any choice of vendor- and booking is based on commission priorities- many aren't located anywhere near Alaska, and know nothing more than you about tours.