Full price for a 20 month toddler really?

We had 5 ports on our last cruise with our 20 month old:

She saw flowers, waterfalls, and the Pitons in St. Lucia. She won't remember it, but I will forever remember her chasing the birds down the beach in Anse le Raye. I will also remember her yelling "NANA" out the window when driving in the banana plantation and eating one of the freshest bananas she'll ever have.

She won't remember the catamaran trip in Barbados either, but she swam with sea turtles, and I will never forget the look of excitement on ther face when she saw them "TUH-TULLLL!"

There was also the airplane that flew over the beach in Antigua where she kept saying "how-cap-tr" and got upset when we told her it wasn't a helocoptor, but a plane. The horror! But that blue water, the boats she watched for hours, the sand castles "she" built.

Here's my terrible parenting advice: You're right, they may not remember, but you sure will. And when they're older, you'll tell them about the fun things they did, the adventures they had, and inspire them to have new experiences. And don't discout the memories. They'll listen to your stories and make up their own ideas about what happened and it will be something they can "remember" as a time when they got to spend time with their parents, doing fun things that their parents enjoyed.

I have been taking our kids every year on family vacations to places and events they may never remember, but the end result remains the same. They enjoy it and we have always enjoyed the family memories! Keep it up.

The constant negativity of cruise critic is really taking the excitement of cruising down.

I agree there is unwarranted negativity. I've been guilty of it myself:D

But don't let ANYTHING said here affect the excitement of cruising itself!:) It's just a message board;)

We also took a cruise with our 10yo, 8yo, and 20 month old. Sure it was a different experience and had to be somewhat structured, but we had a great time overall. The little one would get a little fussy at times, and she did limit what all we could do, but the fun and excitement she had was priceless. It was her first time at a real beach, and she got to play in the one small area of the H2O Zone. She was rather well behaved overall and she had a great time. I say bring the little ones if you think they can handle it. Parents with young children understand that the vacation experience will be different and that it will not be all about the parents the entire time. Still, the experiences and memories are priceless nevertheless.

As far as costs, I fully expected to, and did pay for our toddler to go, except for airfare, and we gladly paid the gratuities, port fees, etc. We knew what the costs would be and still decided to go. If everyone with children were to wait for the "perfect" time to go, they may never get a vacation! I say to be sure you are aware of the costs, the positives, and the not-so-positive aspects of vacationing with little ones and decide if you are still willing to do so. What I don't get is the negativity from the childless couples who are so vocal about not wanting children around. While I can understand wanting a more released and quiet environment, careful selection of vacation plans is in order. Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and NCL make it clear that they are welcoming and marketing to families in several ways. Their website and brochures show families with........wait for it........children, playing in the pools, on the beach, talk about the children's programs, babysitting, etc. If these people book themselves on a cruise such as this, and are upset simply because there are children present, they have no one to blame but themselves. That type of person should be looking at other options that do not offer such a family friendly environment.

That said, parents also need to keep their children under control and well mannered. The couples cruising without children, while they need to be accepting of the fact that there are children around, should not be subjected to rude behavior from unruly children, and I think that may be the root of most of the problem--that these people may have had to deal with unsupervised and ill-behaved children. This is a two way street for everyone involved and we all need to be mindful and respectful of others. Just because we are on vacation, it does not mean that manners, respect, and common courtesy are to be checked at the gangplank.

With our busy lifestyles and often having children in child care all week, a cruise is perfect inexpensive vacation for the whole family. And the cruise lines have come along way in 20 years to accommodate these families as well as scooters and walkers for the elderly.

However, My main concern with small people as well and the elderly cruisers is the false belief that the medical staff can take care of all emergency situations.

And I Just wish parents would think twice about holding their child in a plane. Arms aren't capable of holding your child securely, especially during unexpected turbulence and adult children would think twice about letting their very elderly parents fly alone.

The unexpected does happen.

Edited by land lover

With our busy lifestyles and often having children in child care all week, a cruise is perfect inexpensive vacation for the whole family. And the cruise lines have come along way in 20 years to accommodate these families.

I agree 100%. A cruise seems to offer a bit of everything and you can be as active or inactive as you and your family want to be. Inexpensive wasn't so much for us (family of 5 and all), but we made it all work.

There are plenty of 3rd/4th passengers are free deals. I recommend you look for those deals and book through them. It really will save you a lot of money. I see them all the time. I actually try to avoid booking ships when they run these. I prefer not having a lot of children on ships when we sail.....sorry it is the truth for us.

I also cringe if I get sat next to a "lap" baby on a plane. For some reason the baby/toddler always wants to interact with the person that has the least interest in it....that would be me. Not being negative but it is reality.

We have a friend that sails with us a lot, She almost always, 90% of the time, has to pay for 2 passengers to sail by herself. It is a LOT of extra money for no extra pluses.

Its all about capacity and sales on board.

I travel solo and usually have to pay full price for my invisible companion who doesn't eat, drink, add to wear and tear, make a mess, use the facilities or cause any trouble. If they charged less for a toddler, I'd just book a cabin for me and a toddler instead of paying solo supplement.

This made me laugh at my desk....

Sorry my cabin-mate couldn't make it to the port. He had too many commitments come up.

I agree 100%. A cruise seems to offer a bit of everything and you can be as active or inactive as you and your family want to be. Inexpensive wasn't so much for us (family of 5 and all), but we made it all work.

Looking at your signature my first cruise was in 1983 on the Carinvale too, but in October...the old refurbished freighter...entertainment was us, the guests ..that brings back memories.....

Edited by land lover

With our busy lifestyles and often having children in child care all week, a cruise is perfect inexpensive vacation for the whole family. And the cruise lines have come along way in 20 years to accommodate these families as well as scooters and walkers for the elderly.

However, My main concern with small people as well and the elderly cruisers is the false belief that the medical staff can take care of all emergency situations.

And I Just wish parents would think twice about holding their child in a plane. Arms aren't capable of holding your child securely, especially during unexpected turbulence and adult children would think twice about letting their very elderly parents fly alone.

The unexpected does happen.

Look it, I quoted myself as I added to my post...just a safety reminder for everyone.

As much as I love children and the elderly I have an independent 96 year old mother. People need to be considerate.

In other words I am tired of entertaining your kids and parents on flights.....and cruise ships:D:D

how did I go here..:rolleyes:

Edited by land lover

Solo's have to pay for the room as does anyone else that books it. I travel solo so I pay the full price for the room. If you travel with someone - a baby, toddler, whoever, you pay full price for the room. Note: when I say full price I mean whatever the prevailing price is after the sale/discounts are applied.

I wish cruise lines would just start advertising the room price instead of the double occupancy price as I think it would end so many of these conversations.

Looking at your signature my first cruise was in 1983 on the Carinvale too, but in October...the old refurbished freighter...entertainment was us, the guests ..that brings back memories.....

Refurbished freighter---LOL. Their refurbishment was the equivalent of slapping lipstick on a pig. "She may look a bit prettier, but she's still a pig." I was only a teenager then, but I still joke with my mother about the old TSS Carnivale. We fondly remember her as the "TSS POS."

If you have to ask what the price is then you may not be able to afford it. I would never even considered taking my toddler on a cruse. Kids are creatures of habit. They want to be in their own environment with their own bed. Wait until they are

old enough to remember it.

If you have to ask what the price is then you may not be able to afford it. I would never even considered taking my toddler on a cruse. Kids are creatures of habit. They want to be in their own environment with their own bed. Wait until they are

old enough to remember it.

I'm sorry, but I happen to respectfully have a completely different view with most of your post, but I think everyone's kids are different. Asking what the price is only makes sense in order to budget--it doesn't mean that someone can't afford it. I would certainly like to know the difference between a few hundred and a thousand dollars. My kids did rather well--all 3 of them. Sometimes people don't always have much choice as to when they can take vacations. YMMV. We did rather well, but we had taken our 10 year old on a cruise when he was 1, so we knew what to expect. We went then, as my in-laws were getting older and that was going to be their last chance to take a big vacation, so we went for it, made the best of it, and had a good time. Vacations are not only about what the kids will remember. The adults make and cherish the memories too.

Either way, it's a personal decision as to go with or without kids. None of us have any right to tell the others that they are "wrong," only that we may have a differing opinion. I am also of he belief that families need to have vacation down time together, and I don't subscribe to the "dump them off with Grandma" plan. Some families don't have that option. We certainly don't, so we have to do the best we can as a family. It's still a personal decision, and everyone will have their reasons for making the decision they did.

I don't have young children any more. I even think about why are they charging high fares for children that age. If I had kids, I don't mind paying the tips to the steward for the child. Oh heck I admit I can make a mess at a table. I have had at times when cutting my meat it went flying. LOL. To bad the ships don't lay something down on the floor in the MDR when baby's are in a highchair to at least catch most of the food that falls.

That said, parents also need to keep their children under control and well mannered. The couples cruising without children, while they need to be accepting of the fact that there are children around, should not be subjected to rude behavior from unruly children

(trying to frantically press the "like" button)

This. A hundred times, this.

We are a childless couple. We have zero problems if a family wants to bring their kids aboard. The more, the merrier, right? I don't even care if the kids get a discount or get on for free, as long as it doesn't mean higher prices for me. But if I'm trying to eat a meal or watch a show, and I have a screaming kid right in my ear... that gets extremely old, extremely fast.

Even the best-behaved child will occasionally get fussy. Such is the nature of children. But, parents, please... when it happens... take Junior out of the venue so he/she doesn't give everybody in a 100-foot radius a migraine.

(also, if you find yourself sitting with a couple who never had children in the MDR, please don't start gushing about your kids/grandkids. Doing so is a sure way to alienate them. Just a bit of advice, there.)

I haven't had time to read all of the responses, I am the mother of a 2 year old... A 2 year old who has been on 5 cruises. I wholeheartedly agree that children should pay. We started cruising with our son when he was 10 months old.

-He is a living soul onboard and therefore takes up legal space in a lifeboat. meaning one less "full sized" person can go on the cruise.

IMG_0903_zps35fce242.jpg

-On his very first cruise he was eating food in the dining room (small bits of veggies, fruits, etc).

IMG_1939_zps8f21bfeb.jpg

-His dirty diapers needed to be removed from our stateroom. They were in diaper trash bags, but it was still trash that was generated.

-His crib was turned down nightly just like our bed was.

IMG_0564_zps5ed7305d.jpg

-We borrowed baby & toddler toys from the nursery/ kids clubs for him to play with.

IMG_1203_zps0c9bfb85.jpg

-We brought him to organized playtimes set up for babies & toddlers.

IMG_1431_zpstm9wsnca.jpg

I am sure some of you will say "my child won't use those services." That's the same logic as "I dont use the gym on the ship. " The cruise liens are fully justified in charging. And those "Kids Sail Free" sales... Yeah, they just bump up the prices of passengers 1 &2 to make up the difference. Disney is uber expensive for the first two people and cheap for the kids, it all balances out.

Our son loves cruising and we're happy to be able to include him on our adventures. He's cruising again in October!

In past cruises we've never had anyone complain about our child. We deal with him appropriately. He's having a melt down? Back to the room to calm down. Won't sit for long meals? Eat at the Windjammer/ buffet. We adapt to what is best for our situation and we (DH, myself, and son) always have a great time!

Edited by smileyperry

IMG_0903_zps35fce242.jpg

Precious!

Our son loves cruising and we're happy to be able to include him on our adventures. He's cruising again in October!

Gosh, he'll be Diamond before he's 5! LOL

Thanks for sharing your beautiful family with us. :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

I avoid any vacation that say children go free. Wish RCCL had some adult only cruises.

There are other cruise lines that already offer this option. I don't get why people are trying to "make" Royal into Cunard or Silver Star or another line that rarely ever has children on board. If you want a child-free cruise why don't YOU pick another cruise line that caters to adults only? Really perplexed on threads like these that people pick up virtual pitchforks and complain about something that simply won't change? Royal is a family-friendly cruise line and always will be. Bring on the water slides and any other new developments that will encourage families to happily bring their little ones on board. :)

Oh dear some very negative replies on here my point was that usually on airlines/package holidays etc children under 2 only pay taxes also another cruise I went on when my daughter was 18 months I only paid port taxes seems royal carribean are different it is actually my niece who I am inquiring about will see if she gets discount as the 3rd passenger

No more negative replies please😁🙈😱

I think most people were trying to be helpful and explain some of the reasons that a 20-month old is not usually treated any differently in terms of cruise fare. Your initial post implied that you didn't really understand how cruise pricing works (with comments like "what are they going to be eating"). So, people were trying to help you understand that a person takes up a "berth" on the ship, regardless of age.

That's why airlines are somewhat different, because an "infant in arms" does not technically take up a seat on the airplane.

Different companies market themselves differently, though, so you might find a cruise line that has special pricing for infants/toddlers. But that's really just a marketing decision, and not a reflection of cost savings because of how much the kids eat.

IMG_0903_zps35fce242.jpg

I love this picture too! We are taking our kids (currently 1 & 4 years old) on their first cruise in November and I am pretty sure this is the face at least one of them will be making during the muster drill!!! Thank you for the glimpse into my future! :)

Okay, full disclosure: that is also the face I make when the cruise is over! :D