What to wear on casual nights

Hi all, hope you don't mind me jumping in on the back of this question. We're sailing on the Emerald Princess in July around the med and I'm wondering if I could wear leggings on casual nights in the mdr and not look out of place? I like to wear them with pretty loose tops or dresses that would seem too short otherwise (I'm early 30s if that adds anything to anyone's opinion). Thanks in advance
I think leggings are too casual; additionally, they'd be awfully hot for a Caribbean cruise. I vote no.

I cruise on Royal Caribbean and have worn leggings several times on casual nights to the MDR. With the right tops I don't feel that they are too casual and since the dining rooms and other public areas are usually cool to cold, even in the Caribbean, the leggings feel nice and warm

Thanks for all the advice, I'm not sure what those restaurants are don't think we get them in the UK (or I've just never heard of them!) but I think what I'll do is take some legging outfits, we are driving to port so no luggage restrictions, and check out what other people are wearing, see if I think I'd feel comfortable and not 'out of place' and go from there. Can always wear them on a buffet night if not! ;)

Libby, the Med is very hot and can be gritty if the Scirocco winds are blowing up from Africa in July. Leggings tend to be so close cut it feels like you are wearing tights in a sauna. Maybe go with straight leg ankle trousers or wide leg linen blend pants instead as they will be cooler during the day and still keep the air conditioned freezer off you during dinner. Marks and Spencers always have a nice selection. If you go with slimmer legs the perfect casual, cool and very trendy peasant blouses would match nicely like those from Indigo Collection and the like. I'm shopping for two now for a Panama Canal cruise. If you go wide leg then maybe a slimmer cut T shirt style top to show off a waistline or a regular button down blouse that you can roll up the sleeves on and tuck in and then blouse a bit? Those same shirts can be worn untucked over a tank while unbuttoned or just untucked and buttoned up with the sleeves rolled. Nice thing with those is they can often be added to your work wardrobe after the cruise. The same goes with nicer slim or straight cut trousers. Do take a pair of leggings for an early morning breakfast or a Lido buffet dinner and if you find no one is wearing them then you can always use them in the gym or for walking the track deck/promanade for exercise. They also make great debarkation outfits if dark colored for humping luggage through customs and out to your car.

Have a great cuise!

Thanks everyone. Taking them to wear for breakfast or even just a balcony dinner seems a good idea. I have got a couple of maxi dresses I'm planning on bringing as well for evenings but I think I will also get some trousers to wear with nice tops.

First cruise so a little nervous!! :rolleyes:

I also usually do the black slacks/top on casual nights. But I do have

colored bottoms that work well too.....wine color/grey as well.

I will be sailing out of Boston in October with a New England itinerary so

it will probably cooler than the Caribbean;)....my wardrobe will be a bit

different for this cruise.