What to wear on casual nights

You'll get a range of opinions on this subject. I'm assuming you're asking about what to wear to the MDR -- if you're going to the buffet, anything's fine except swimsuits and bare feet.

Do wear ...

- Casual sundress with casual sandals (like a wedge flip-flop with a bit of bling); one-stop dressing, these are the easiest of the easy; they're cheap to buy (I bought two for $40 a week ago) and pack in no space, plus you can re-wear them the next day as daytime wear

- Loose beach-type pants (so many are available now with great, bright pants) with a silky shirt

- A lightweight sweater or wrap, or even just a lightweight fashion scarf, if you tend towards cold

- Bright colors -- everyone wears black, so be different!

Don't wear ...

- Jeans -- it's too hot in the Caribbean, plus they're the most casual of casual and a cruise deserves a bit of a dress-up

- Capris -- really, ladies, look in the mirror: capris make tall, willowy models look squat and heavy, so what do they do to the rest of us?

Can I please ask a question? Is it okay for me to piggyback on someone else's thread?

Is this too tizzy for a casual night? No midriff for me, I will wear a black top without skin showing. My skirt isn't quite as dark in colour but it is the same cut.

http://www.tedbaker.com/uk/Womens/Love-Ted/ABAIGH-Cascading-floral-full-skirt-Black/p/115112-00-BLACK

Too tizzy?

It's not for me personally, but I'd admire it on someone else.

I agree: no midriff at dinner.

MrsPete, we are in toal agreement on capris. These days they are often called capris but look more like pants cropped off half way between the knee and ankle. My DH who rarely notices any womens clothes but mine has seen more than a few of these "capris" and has often wondered if they realize most do the most dreadful thing most women can think of "those make her butt look big". Ankle pants or skimmers do look rather nice on many women without having to be rail thin. I prefer full length slacks as they tend to elongate my legs which I can use these days.

Blue jeans in the Caribbean are normally too hot. I do have a nice pair of white jeans that I often take for nights if we are planning on going to a movie afterwards or it is a buffet on deck night and the humidity is down. I do dress them up with kid leather loafers, a nice blouse and jewelry. That does depend on the line though. But I do find linen is a nicer choice especially now that I think I have found some with a bit of stretch that will keep the worst of sitting wrinkles away.

MrsPete, we are in toal agreement on capris. These days they are often called capris but look more like pants cropped off half way between the knee and ankle. My DH who rarely notices any womens clothes but mine has seen more than a few of these "capris" and has often wondered if they realize most do the most dreadful thing most women can think of "those make her butt look big". Ankle pants or skimmers do look rather nice on many women without having to be rail thin. I prefer full length slacks as they tend to elongate my legs which I can use these days.

Blue jeans in the Caribbean are normally too hot. I do have a nice pair of white jeans that I often take for nights if we are planning on going to a movie afterwards or it is a buffet on deck night and the humidity is down. I do dress them up with kid leather loafers, a nice blouse and jewelry. That does depend on the line though. But I do find linen is a nicer choice especially now that I think I have found some with a bit of stretch that will keep the worst of sitting wrinkles away.

I agree about the "capris." I've seen too many photos posted on here CC of women wearing those things and I cringe every time. Every woman looks about 6 inches shorter and having extreme "cankles." I wonder if they really think they look OK??? I never understood that need to eliminate 4 inches of length to get cool…

As for the blue jeans, it totally depends on the fabric content for how hot they will be. Now, in the Caribbean, I'd leave them for evening and use my tech fabric pants or shorts. Not so much because being jeans, but because darker fabric seems to absorb heat more than lighter-in-color fabrics.

Edited by slidergirl

I am one of the exceptions to the usual when it comes to capris. I'm 5'7" with a long waist length. I wear long tops that actually look better with capris. My legs are long, too, so most capris hit me high on the calf-to just below the knee.

Our temperature this Fri is expected to be 97, so definitely capri weather.

I think visuals are much better than descriptions. practically everyone here says "nice" top or "dressy" top. Those are subjective terms. Here are a few casual dinner outfits I would consider appropriate.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/250231323021409478/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/513903007452320678/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/324751823103126915/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/357473289146622148/

I have been searching for what seems like forever to find a thread on this topic! I am leaving for my first cruise on RCI in 6 days, and I wasn't sure what to wear for non-formal evenings. Capris and sandals with a decent blouse were what I've been hoping would be okay. It seems like that will work. THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD! :-D

My words of caution are to have a sweater/jacket/shawl -- depending on where that pesky AC vent is I have been hot and I have been COLD. Consider those shoe options! Shoes that go with almost every outfit day and night are great --shoes will cause your suitcase to go overweight faster than anything. AND you will be walking the equivalent of city blocks to get to dinner from cabin and then to deck for a peek then to theater or back to a bar. Your dogs will be barking if you are not used to dress shoes or heels. My granddaughter got the worst blisters that first night. Beauty worth Blisters? Another thought is to have a very small purse to put in your lap with your keycard and lipstick and tissue or pills if you have to take with meal. Most dressy clothes do not have pockets and you have to have a keycard. (of course the first pocket ever is the bra!).

Have a wonderful time. Look good for yourself -- how you like to dress and don't worry about the others. They are not worried about you. Perhaps you do need to practice "not laughing or staring" for there will be those who you really want to take a 2nd look at!:D

I always wear nicer sundresses and am adding a maxi dress this year. It's personal choice and a respect to other diners that I steer away from jeans and capris. Susie, the skirt is perfect for evening dining!

Edited by GulfSurferGirl

I like to wear capris with a nice top and sandals. I also wear sundresses, maxis and skirts with nice tops. I choose not to wear jeans.

That's about what the wonderful Mrs Gut goes with.

For our July Eastern Caribbean itinerary on Magic am taking a couple of casual sundresses, and a pair of capris and a skirt that I will mix an match with tops. I have 2 crochet bolero jackets (one white, one black) that I wear over tank tops and I also take a couple of shawls. I am still deciding if I will take two different dresses for elegant nights or just one drss and change accessories.

I always wear nicer sundresses and am adding a maxi dress this year. It's personal choice and a respect to other diners that I steer away from jeans and capris. Susie, the skirt is perfect for evening dining!

This is me as well. I bring about 5 maxi dresses for a 7 night cruise. They are cute, casual and very easy to pack. I usually have 2 pair of shoes I switch between them.

I think visuals are much better than descriptions. practically everyone here says "nice" top or "dressy" top. Those are subjective terms. Here are a few casual dinner outfits I would consider appropriate.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/250231323021409478/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/513903007452320678/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/324751823103126915/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/357473289146622148/

I think the first three outfits are ideal for a cruise. Simple, classy, would work on women of different ages, something you could wear at home again. Note that the white pants in #1 and #3 could be the same pair -- a smart packing idea. The accessories all "make" the outfit, and that's something with which I have trouble.

I don't care for the last outfit though -- not for a cruise: First, no matter how you dress them up, jeans are still jeans; second, the jacket looks too hot for the Caribbean.

Edited by MrsPete

Consider those shoe options! Shoes that go with almost every outfit day and night are great --shoes will cause your suitcase to go overweight faster than anything.

Totally agree! My suggestions:

Assuming you like to wear sandals, bring two pairs of basic, comfortable sandals that can match all your daytime outfits and double for casual dinners. If you bring, for example, a pair of white and a pair of tan -- make one pair flat and one pair with a bit of a heel -- they're probably going to match everything. Do not bring the hot pink sandals that match only out outfit.

Then pick a pair of great strappy sandals for dinner -- in a color that will match all your fancy dresses. Silver or black'll probably do.

Hi all, hope you don't mind me jumping in on the back of this question. We're sailing on the Emerald Princess in July around the med and I'm wondering if I could wear leggings on casual nights in the mdr and not look out of place? I like to wear them with pretty loose tops or dresses that would seem too short otherwise (I'm early 30s if that adds anything to anyone's opinion). Thanks in advance

Hi all, hope you don't mind me jumping in on the back of this question. We're sailing on the Emerald Princess in July around the med and I'm wondering if I could wear leggings on casual nights in the mdr and not look out of place? I like to wear them with pretty loose tops or dresses that would seem too short otherwise (I'm early 30s if that adds anything to anyone's opinion). Thanks in advance

Good rule of thumb when making this decision: if you wear it to a nice restaurant at home, one that serves 4-5 courses with nice tableware and linen, then wear it to dinner in the MDR on a cruise ship.

Good rule of thumb when making this decision: if you wear it to a nice restaurant at home, one that serves 4-5 courses with nice tableware and linen, then wear it to dinner in the MDR on a cruise ship.

My rule of thumb: if it is something you would wear at home to dinner at Olive Garden or Outback Steak House, then wear it to dinner on casual nights in the MDR on a cruise ship. To me, wearing leggings with a tunic or short dress is no different from the women wearing capris and tops in the MDR.

My rule of thumb: if it is something you would wear at home to dinner at Olive Garden or Outback Steak House, then wear it to dinner on casual nights in the MDR on a cruise ship. To me, wearing leggings with a tunic or short dress is no different from the women wearing capris and tops in the MDR.

Olive Garden has paper table cloths, and Outback is deliberately super casual because of it's Aussie theme. I don't wear what other women wear in the MDR: I wear what I wear to a nice restaurant, etc., etc., at home. I find the MDR on all cruise lines to be nicely decorated, elegant looking, staffed with nicely dressed waiters, and with the above described amenities. I like the feeling of eating in a nice place, and I like to dress accordingly. I have never felt a cruise ship is a resort next to the beach, so I don't dress like it is.

Just my preference.

Olive Garden has paper table cloths, and Outback is deliberately super casual because of it's Aussie theme. I don't wear what other women wear in the MDR: I wear what I wear to a nice restaurant, etc., etc., at home. I find the MDR on all cruise lines to be nicely decorated, elegant looking, staffed with nicely dressed waiters, and with the above described amenities. I like the feeling of eating in a nice place, and I like to dress accordingly. I have never felt a cruise ship is a resort next to the beach, so I don't dress like it is.

Just my preference.

The poster asked about casual night, not formal, elegant, chic, night.

The "white table cloth, 4-5 courses" analog may apply to formal night. You may feel that it is elegant every night and dress like you are going to Le Bernadin every night. But, is is not required of the cruise line. I would not have a partner wear chinos and a polo into Le Bernadin, but it is something that Princess says is totally appropriate for the MDR on casual nights.

I have never felt a cruise ship is a hotel in the middle of London in the 1950s, so I don't dress like it is ;)

The poster asked about casual night, not formal, elegant, chic, night.

The "white table cloth, 4-5 courses" analog may apply to formal night. You may feel that it is elegant every night and dress like you are going to Le Bernadin every night. But, is is not required of the cruise line. I would not have a partner wear chinos and a polo into Le Bernadin, but it is something that Princess says is totally appropriate for the MDR on casual nights.

I have never felt a cruise ship is a hotel in the middle of London in the 1950s, so I don't dress like it is ;)

I really haven't a clue regarding your references above, but your meaning is clear. ;) The OP can just make up her own mind, which is what I want her to do, as I'm sure you do, too.

OP, this is what I'm referring to, with a pair of black or brown pants and a pair of low-heeled black sandals (maybe with a little bling on them):

526929318_Black_turqchiffonjkt.jpg.25605358441f19c4e8cc777052884474.jpg

1551285596_Bronzetop.jpg.8627b6b5216ae52aa504405ad6369a6b.jpg

1915532515_Royalbluejacket.jpg.e769ccf36a96a8977ff7c60419e585e0.jpg

Thanks for all the advice, I'm not sure what those restaurants are don't think we get them in the UK (or I've just never heard of them!) but I think what I'll do is take some legging outfits, we are driving to port so no luggage restrictions, and check out what other people are wearing, see if I think I'd feel comfortable and not 'out of place' and go from there. Can always wear them on a buffet night if not! ;)

Edited by Libby13

Thanks for all the advice, I'm not sure what those restaurants are don't think we get them in the UK (or I've just never heard of them!) but I think what I'll do is take some legging outfits, we are driving to port so no luggage restrictions, and check out what other people are wearing, see if I think I'd feel comfortable and not 'out of place' and go from there. Can always wear them on a buffet night if not! ;)

I forgot that you were in the UK. What I was trying to say that casual nights in the MDRs would be like going into a non-fast-food restaurant, not a Michelin-starred place. A nice tunic and leggings would be just fine, IMHO. I wish some of the women who wear too-short dresses into the MDR would add some leggings...