Advice for not gaining weight on a cruise

melody hounddog

I'm about to take my first cruise, so I can't offer help on how I avoid gaining weight on cruises, but I will share a trick I learned long ago about dealing with the buffet:

When I go to a buffet, I take one plate and put a little bit of everything I want to try on it. I keep the servings very small so that I can fit everything without piling up a heap of food. Then I eat just that one plate (I never go back for seconds).

Somebody else had the suggestion of resisting items you can get at home (burger, pizza, etc.). I think this is a great idea. Just tell yourself that you can have a hamburger any time, and you don't need one right now.

It can take time to feel full and satisfied. You should try to eat slowly and really enjoy the taste of what you are eating. When you start to feel full, stop eating. I often tell myself that I could eat more, but I wouldn't enjoy it.

Weight gain is very simple: calories in - calories out = weight gain. I've suggested ways to limit the calories in. Walk as much as possible to increase the calories out. Keep this in mind: a 150lb (68Kg) person walking a leisurely 2 MPH (3.2 KPH) on level ground for 1 mile (1.6 Kilometers) will burn about 68 calories. The same person jogging at 5 MPH (8 KPH) on level ground for 1 mile will burn about 110 calories. Unless you are a distance runner, jogging at 5 MPH (8 KPH) is what most people would consider running.

Given the above, when considering eating a slice of pepperoni pizza (about 285 calories) or a hamburger (about 300 calories), is it worth walking for just over 4 miles (2 hours), or running for 2.75 miles (30 minutes), because that is how much exercise it will take to burn off those calories. A can of Coke has 140 calories in it. So, one Coke means walking 2 miles.

I cant remember how many times I've skipped eating something because I think about how many miles it would take to burn off the calories (I'm a half-marathon runner (ok, jogger :))). It often just isn't worth the calories. Life is short; some treats really are worth the exercise, but you have to pick and choose.

Here is one final tip for weight loss (while not on a cruise): It takes about 3,500 calories to gain 1 pound (7,700 calories to gain 1 Kg). If you walk for 45 minutes every day more than you do today (or run for 24 minutes), and you drink 2 less sugared sodas than you do today, you will net 500 calories less per day that your baseline. At that rate, you will lose 1 lb per week (a little less than 1 Kg per 2 weeks). 1 lb per week is a safe rate that most people can sustain.

There was a tip about climbing stairs. A 150 lb (68Kg) person burns around 4 calories climbing one flight of stairs at a leisurely pace. That may not sound like much (actually, it isn't much), but if you climb the stairs for 5 decks, 5 times per day, every day on a 10 day cruise, you will burn around 1000 calories (7 cans of Coke).

Everyone says stairs, stairs, stairs but what about passengers who have mobility issues and are not able to do stairs:confused:

Eat less and walk more. If you can't walk, then try swimming (or walking in a shallow pool). If you can't swim, then there are machines in the gym that can probably accommodate you.

and have maintained it through 50 + cruises, i took the weight off over 2-3/4 years and have maintained it since 2001....i never exercised, i never have and i never will....limit carbs...enjoy in moderation, and when you get home, please go back to doing what you do.....there is so much more to do than eat and/or drink on a cruise....

also....stay away from the rolls at dinner. once tasted they can not be resisted - so I just stay away from them.

and...stairs (or however you regularly exercise)

Nope, nope, nope! I will not stay away from the rolls!

Similar to Sayra above, the one cruise on which I did not gain weight, was the one where I was quarantined with Noro for several days. I can assure you that a little weight gain is a better proposition than that!

It's all relative!

Everyone says stairs, stairs, stairs but what about passengers who have mobility issues and are not able to do stairs:confused:

That's always a problem for those with mobility issues, I spent 5 years in a wheelchair and while I hardly ate a thing [the medication made me nauseous] the weight just piled on. Out of the chair finally, still not exactly active, lost 30kg (65lbs).

On our last cruise, I successfully lost 4 pounds by getting an upper respiratory infection.

But I don't recommend it. The cruise was much less enjoyable as I was sleeping 12-14 hours a day and didn't feel like eating anything.

That will do it.

Not my type of cruise and the weight probably wont stay off long.

Similar to Sayra above, the one cruise on which I did not gain weight, was the one where I was quarantined with Noro for several days. I can assure you that a little weight gain is a better proposition than that!

It's all relative!

I'll take the weight gain thanks.

If you can walk walk. If you don't like walking outside, go to a deck with cabins and walk around the inside deck. I do this if it's raining outside. The secret is is to keep moving.

Thank you for saying this. I thought I was the only one who got homesick.

When you cruise for two (or five) months, there is a realization that what you wear on Day 1 must fit on Day 150. That provides huge motivation to enjoy the food in moderation.

And on the longer cruises they run out of stuff sometimes. 5 or more sea days in a row means the bananas are going to be in short supply. I try to keep a small stash of frosted flakes and fruit loops in my cabin so I have something to take ashore. The one time my hubs had a food poisoning issue it was from food consumed off the ship. If I am not feeling like the local food is safe I will eat cereal.

They will quarantine you for Noro? How do they diagnose that? What does quarantine entail? I got the sniffles one cruise, and I was terrified of the med center for fear of quarantine.

Vomiting and diarrhea will get you quarantined. The sniffles will not, unless it is more serious than just the sniffles.

I'm not picky about food and will eat just about anything; however, I have stopped eating something I'm not crazy about just because it's on my plate, especially desserts. Sometimes they look so good and end up tasting just so-so and are a total waste of calories.

If you can go down stairs, that's what I do. I take the stairs if it's just a deck or two but unless I'm carrying something, I usually walk down the stairs, even if it's from Sun to Plaza decks.

also....stay away from the rolls at dinner. once tasted they can not be resisted - so I just stay away from them.

and...stairs (or however you regularly exercise)

But....the rolls are SO good, especially with soft BUTTER!!

Hi Everyone

My next cruise is coming up and I don't want to pack on the pounds like I did on my last cruise. I know the usual "take the stairs", and "skip the bread bowl, etc. But I am looking for specific dishes in the main dining room that are diet friendly, yet tasty.

How are the Lotus Spa dishes?

I have a few favorites that I must have, like the Eggplant Parm, Escargot and French Onion Soup. I love to try new things and like just about anything, except the cold fruit soups.

Anything you really like for lunch in the MDR?

And please, if you never gain weight on a cruise, skip to the next thread.

Thanks!

Go to the gym at least 4 times.

Hi Everyone

My next cruise is coming up and I don't want to pack on the pounds like I did on my last cruise. I know the usual "take the stairs", and "skip the bread bowl, etc. But I am looking for specific dishes in the main dining room that are diet friendly, yet tasty.

How are the Lotus Spa dishes?

I have a few favorites that I must have, like the Eggplant Parm, Escargot and French Onion Soup. I love to try new things and like just about anything, except the cold fruit soups.

Anything you really like for lunch in the MDR?

And please, if you never gain weight on a cruise, skip to the next thread.

Thanks!

Mmmmm the eggplant parm is delicioso.

I gain about 7 pounds/week on average, but think with some better food choices that could be much less.

I sometimes try a dish very unusual thinking I won't eat it all, but then it's either (a) excellent, (b) not too good and then I go to HC, or © I order an extra dessert.

I know this is easier said than done, but try to remember that just because the food is there, doesn't mean you have to eat it. At home, I don't swing by the McDonald's drive-through on a whim for French fries or drop by an ice cream shop for a midday cone, so on the ship, I don't do those things either. And while I know the buffet and IC both have tempting displays of sweets and snacks available any time, I don't eat between meals at home, so I just stay out of those areas unless it's actually lunchtime. As I said, easier said than done, but it's like my grandfather always said, if you don't go looking for trouble [i believe that word is pronounced f-r-e-n-c-h f-r-i-e-s], trouble won't find you.

I know this is easier said than done, but try to remember that just because the food is there, doesn't mean you have to eat it.

What is this blasphemy? :eek: I told the make-your-own MDR pineapple sundae (with whipped cream) I didn't have to eat it, but it was most insistent and threatened me with everlasting hunger if I didn't. So I did. :D

Hit the gym and do 30 minutes of biking after each breakfast. Get a cabin forward so going to the buffet is harder. Stairs...always use them. Walk the whole ship several times a day. Catch yourself yawning while eating...stop eating, your body is saying it's full.

What is this blasphemy? :eek: I told the make-your-own MDR pineapple sundae (with whipped cream) I didn't have to eat it, but it was most insistent and threatened me with everlasting hunger if I didn't. So I did. :D

Or the desert that calls out "You c'aint handle the desert"

I wouldn't say we really watch what we eat on a cruise, but we definitely try to stay active. We go to the gym almost every morning for about an hour, make every effort not to set foot in an elevator, and choose somewhat active port activities.

We also cruise with a good friend who is hilarious and has us doubled-over laughing most of the time- that's got to work the abs & burn a few calories, right? :D

Anyway, we typically gain a few pounds per cruise, but drop it within a week or two of cruise detox...