Mosquito Repellant - Which activities will we need it?

Newbcruiser1

Trying to figure out where we will need to apply mosquito repellant for our cruise next week. As a disclaimer, I am a mosquito magnet and my bites blow up enormously.

We have a few pre-cruise vancouver day so definitely for Grouse mountain and Capilano bridge. What about for Stanley Park (especially if our visit overlaps into the early evening?). For patio dinners in vancouver?

In terms of excursions:

Ketchican - Misty fjords float plane tour with a landing in the middle, and then exploring creek street and the salmon ladders.

ISP - whale-watching - shouldn't need here I don't think.

Juneau - Mendenall with walk to nugget falls - will use it here.

Skagway - train/can with Chilkoot

Seward - Kenai fjords cruise, time in town, sea life centre.

So based on your own experiences, where should we plan to use the repellant?

Personally speaking I don't remember the last time I ever used mosquito repellent in any of those places....but then again I am not a mosquito magnet. Go and purchase some repellent as I don't want to be responsible for any bites that you get and I am certain that you will be more comfortable for having it.

Did 2 of your trips, Medenhall and Kenai fjords cruise. I had tasken a lot of repellent as I am a magnet also and we were doing the land tour aswell. I also took face nets but glad to say did not use them at all. I only used some individually wraped wipes which I carried with me and if it looked as if there could be a mosquito I applied that which I think I did walking to Nugget falls. Did not get bitten at all. Must be first holiday I can say that.

Have been up here in Anchorage for 3 weeks now and have noticed the mosquitos (or the lack of) has been the best that I have experienced. I think the lack of rain has had a big influence on it. I would still use some repellant if you have a big problem with those little buggers.

Another vote for minimal needs for repellant.

Grouse may be an issue if you are there at sunset.

Liarsville in Skagway had problems with black flies on my August trip.

Mosquito's love me. If there are 100 people and only one gets stung it is me.

I have never had an issue in Alaska on any of our excursions including a walk through a rain forest.

To be on the safe side, take the repellent with you and in doubt take it on the excursion and you can always put it on if needed.

One you can easily carry and put on without a spray is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LA5SUC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Keith

In the camping gear area of your local Walmart you will likely find at least 2 brands of DEET based repellent in a small plastic pump bottle that will fit conveniently in pocket, purse or daypack....they cost about $5. We have 2 that we have taken on every cruise we have taken in the last 7 years and can attest to how well it works....they have never been opened.:)

While I also doubt that mosquitos will be much of a problem on the OP's Alaska portion of this trip I just wanted to also recommend the individually packaged repellant wipes. A number of companies now offer this product and they are wonderful when traveling. So convenient to toss a couple into a backpack in case they are needed.

I found the only time we needed bug protection (used regular bug protection, didn't need the heavy duty stuff) is when we took a floatplane in Ketchiken to see the Bears. There were Mosquitos and bees in the clearing we landed on . And yes the weather was warm. Did not need it on any other tours.