Oops Toll Pay Problem!

Cinders411

Two years ago we drove to Florida for a cruise out of Port Canaveral. We had prepared for the tolls or thought we had, based upon previous years. We ended up being short.......Guess we should have gotten that dang Sunpass......At the toll booth we told the woman standing outside we had no more change. We tried to give her a bill. She said she could not take it and for us to drive on (many cars blowing horns behind us....). She said that we would get a bill via postal mail. When I got home I forgot all about it & no bill ever came. Maybe it's silly (or not) but, I am having anxiety about getting arrested in Florida over the unpaid toll. :eek:

Has anyone else ever had a similar situation? Does anyone have an idea of how to best handle the situation now? Thanks in advance for helpful posts. :)

Well first the worker should have gave you an unpaid toll receipt so you could pay the rest later.

If you missed a toll in an unattended cash lane:

Florida's Turnpike understands that sometimes you may not have exact change at an unattended exact change toll lane. Payment for the toll is still required. Make checks or money orders payable to FDOT Turnpike Enterprise and include the following information: your name, license plate number vehicle plate information, date & time of occurrence and plaza name or mile marker. (DO NOT SEND CASH)

You need to mail the payment within 10 days to:

Florida's Turnpike Enterprise

P.O. Box 310

Ocoee, FL, 34761

If you were issued an unpaid toll notice receipt at the toll plaza and either lost your receipt, or, would like to check on the status of your payment, please call 407-264-3164.

--------

Secondly in accordance with their toll violations they mail you 2 notices and then a 3rd via first class mail to the address your vehicle is registered to.. As long as your address did not change since this happened and you never got anything in the mail then I wouldn't worry about it.

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/tools_tollviolations.cfm

An Unpaid Toll Violation or TOLL-BY-PLATE Invoice is mailed to the registered owner of the motor vehicle at the time of the violation and as listed in the records maintained by The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles while in accordance with Florida Statute 316.1001. An Unpaid Toll Violation or TOLL-BY-PLATE Invoice includes the toll(s) amount owed and a $2.50 Administrative Fee.

You have 30 days in which to submit payment in full and close the document. If payment is not received within 30 days, a second document will be mailed. The second document includes toll(s) due from the first document, any new toll(s) incurred and the Administrative Fee for each document of $2.50. You have 30 days in which to submit payment in full and close the second document. Failure to submit payment in full by the due date stipulated on the second document may result in the issuance of a Uniform Traffic Citation.

It is extremely important to keep your address information updated as required by law; Driver License address must be updated within 10 days of the change, per Florida Statute 322.19(1). Registration address must be updated within 20 days of the change, per Florida Statute 320.02(4). If you are planning to sell your vehicle it is important that you remove the license plate or transfer it immediately to the new registered owner as required by law; Florida Statute 320.0609(2)(a). Failure to update your information will not release you from the liability of any unpaid tolls.

When payment is not received by the due date and a Uniform Traffic Citation is issued, the citation is mailed by first-class mail to the address of the registered owner of the motor vehicle involved in the violation. Mailing the citation to such address constitutes notification; Florida Statute 316.1001(2) (b).

Upon issuance of a citation you have 30 days, as indicated in Option A on the citation to resolve directly with SunPass before it is filed with the Clerk of Courts. If the citation is not resolved with SunPass by the due date listed under Option A, it is then transmitted to the court. The Clerks of Court provide you 75 days to resolve the citation, either by submitting payment as indicated in Option B on the citation or by requesting a hearing to contest the violation, as indicated in Option C on the citation. Failure to select an Option or path of resolution may result in license suspension, court imposed late fees, higher fines and penalties. SunPass/Florida Department of Transportation does not have the ability to waive any fines, penalties or late fees imposed by the Clerk of Courts.

If you believe you have received an unpaid toll document in error, please contact SunPass violations via email or at the phone number listed on the document you received.

You may pay a document on-line via credit/debit card, or you can pay via cash at nearly 2,000 retail locations around the state as long as you have all of the information on the violation document with you. Visit http://www.touch-n-buy.com/sunpass or http://www.tollbyplate.com/cash to find a location near you.

Have not moved. Toll worker did not provide us with an unpaid toll receipt. No notices ever received however, after reading all that I am more terrified than before! :eek::eek::eek: Maybe I will try and call them.

two years ago, in your own car with correct address on registration and you have not moved .....

I would not worry about it ....

I suspect Florida just wrote this off to a mistake not worth pursuing .... IF it was even reported.

I am pretty sure there is no warrant out for you!!!!

Now, if it had been EVERY toll during your trip ..... today where if you blow thru an electron only lane the 'system' reads your plate and mails the bill automatically . .

I've been in the very same situation and told the nice lady I don't have a single DIME in the car (borrowed car and forgot my wallet ... don't ask!) .... she waved me thru. It takes time for them to fill out the form to report you .... and they are surprised by honesty on occasion! AND told to keep traffic moving!

in the past, some would toss the coin in for you so you'd be covered out of their good will .... but it appears you get fired for that in some parts of Florida now!!!! (a trending story)

"Do you know why I pulled you over sir? You failed to pay a .75 toll in 2013. Please step out of the car and keep your hands where I can see them . . ."

A few years back I got a parking ticket while driving a rental car in a place far from home. DW thought I was an idiot for paying the ticket figuring there was no WAY they'd go thru the effort to find me for $20.

Edited by Capt_BJ

How refreshing! I'm so sick and tired of hearing people tell me that I'm "nuts" for going out of my way to make sure that people/places that I may owe money to are paid. "If they're not calling you or mailing you bills or notices, why do you care?" is what I have heard from friends and acquaintances.

How about, because it's the RIGHT THING TO DO!!! I applaud you, Cinders411.:):):)

I had an unpaid toll in a rental car (no change for an unattended booth) and the state started sending me emails every day saying they would continue to send me emails every day until I paid. After a few months, I sent them a check for 75 cents. So, don't underestimate their ability to hold a grudge. :P