So if I bring a whiskey that I need for my trip right after my cruise...

Are they going to take it from me right away at the terminal before boarding?

I need it for my next trip because I won't be going home after the cruise. Its a whiskey that is very hard to find....rare.

If you were bringing it on at an intermediate port, you would have no problem having the ship store it for you, and give it back at the end of the cruise.

However, if you are bringing it on at the beginning of the cruise, it's not the ship personnel doing security, it's port personnel. They can simply confiscate it, or give it to the ship to hold. I don't know that you are going to be able to predict this.

Do not carry it onboard. Place it in you main luggage. You will most likely get called to the penalty/naughty room the first evening of the cruise to claim your luggage where they will bag & tag your Naughty Whiskey and deliver it to you the night before debarkation.

Do not carry it onboard. Place it in you main luggage. You will most likely get called to the penalty/naughty room the first evening of the cruise to claim your luggage where they will bag & tag your Naughty Whiskey and deliver it to you the night before debarkation.

Excellent idea. :)

I would be upfront. Inquire with the agents at the port and explain to them what is going on. I don't see why you need to waste your time going to the naughty room, when your intention isn't to sneak it on board.

I think that's a good idea too. I would just be concerned that the port agents might say they have no way to get something onto the ship, and by that time the checked luggage option would be gone.

In all honesty, I walked on with a bottle of scotch in my carry-on bag. Security did absolutely nothing to stop me, we even asked the security officer who we gave it to. He simply just said they'll do it on the ship. Which never happened, not sure if I was just lucky, or they didn't care.

Don't count on getting any liquor back that they take from you when you go to the naughty room. Doesn't always happen. My BIL had two bottles of scotch (very expensive scotch) in a checked bag and got called down. They took the scotch and poured it out right in front of him. Happened on the Grandeur out of Baltimore.

So don't count on it. I think the cruise line might be getting tired of folks who try to sneak on liquor- it causes them work to take it, tag it and make sure you get it back when you have clearly broken their rule.

Edited by dixieva

Don't count on getting any liquor back that they take from you when you go to the naughty room. Doesn't always happen. My BIL had two bottles of scotch (very expensive scotch) in a checked bag and got called down. They took the scotch and poured it out right in front of him. Happened on the Grandeur out of Baltimore.

So don't count on it. I think the cruise line might be getting tired of folks who try to sneak on liquor- it causes them work to take it, tag it and make sure you get it back when you have clearly broken their rule.

Agree I wouldn't bother trying a "rare" or expensive booze. Odds are probably 90% that RCCL will take it and give it back at the end of the cruise. But not 100%.......... Why not just get by a week without the "rare special" whiskey...... I'm sure you would survive somehow.

Edited by bouhunter

This is true. Here is the relevant section from Royal's website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=260

This part is what would concern me:

Alcoholic beverages seized on boarding day will not be returned.

This is true. Here is the relevant section from Royal's website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=260

This part is what would concern me:

Alcoholic beverages seized on boarding day will not be returned.

Guess you would just be taking your chances.

Edited by SC_Floaters
I was wrong

Where are you sailing from...BFE?

Is it so rare that it cannot be purchased in the port city?

Are you staying in a hotel after the cruise? If so, purchase it and have it shipped to the hotel.

If it is a gift, ship it to the recipient and ask them not to open the gift until you arrive.

Where are you sailing from...BFE? Is it so rare that it cannot be purchased in the port city? Are you staying in a hotel after the cruise? If so, purchase it and have it shipped to the hotel. If it is a gift, ship it to the recipient and ask them not to open the gift until you arrive.

I had to dig a little but it looks like OP is sailing Navigator on a 6 or 7 night Western, from either Fort Lauderdale or Galveston. Given the replies in this thread, I would be nervous about taking it on at embarkation, so perhaps there is an alternative...

We bought a Bottle of Bacardi in San Juan and had no issue boarding the Jewel, Just showed it on Boarding, they tagged it and it turned up on the last night.

That's how it works with liquor purchased in a port. But he is talking about getting it on board at the beginning of the cruise- embarkation day. Totally different thing.

Unless he can purchase it in one of the ports and then bring it on but sounded like this was not possible due to the rarity of the whiskey.

That's how it works with liquor purchased in a port. But he is talking about getting it on board at the beginning of the cruise- embarkation day. Totally different thing.

Unless he can purchase it in one of the ports and then bring it on but sounded like this was not possible due to the rarity of the whiskey.

Our Cruise embarked in San-Juan.