Furious with Celebrity...

Velvetwater

Hi you may remember I posted a while ago about wanting to change from traditional dining to select but was waitlisted.

These are the original posts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2232836

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2228665

After calling up Celebrity twice my online page went from 'you have selected traditional dining 6.15.Celebrity select (waitlisted)' to 'you have selected celebrity select dining' so I was happy. I go off to print my documents today and all of them still say traditional dining 6.15 and also that I have not prepaid my gratuities when I have. I looked at my most recent invoice and thankfully it says I have paid gratuities but as it was when i rang up initially (before the select was confirmed) that says traditional 6.15 dining too.

We have made plans to eat with other cruisers and other activities in port based on this and I do not know what to do. Its 9 days til our cruise.

Very sad and angry and a little confused ...the telephone guys closed 50 minutes ago.

Has anyone had an issue like this where your online account said one thing then your documents did not say the same? Is it easy to ring up and get them changed.

Need to some kind words as I am almost in tears.

Edited by Velvetwater

I've read that others have experienced similar.

The specific example I can recall was, that once final payment happens, and the cruise documents are issued, that those cruise documents do not further update over time what changes that happen post final payment. This was in regards to someone that had changed cabins, but their luggage tags (cabin number) never updated in the cruise docs. I think the Express pass did update however, but it doesn't list dining details.

Honestly, I would not waste any time chasing this, and just handle on board, unless you are using as TA then let then deal with the struggle. Once you board, find Maitr'd outside the MDR and see what they can do to adjust you.

That said, if you have not paid the gratuities up front, they you are likely NOT in select dining, I don't think that can do that without gathering payment. But reading your statement, sounds like you HAVE paid them, so this would be proof enough to me that Select was on the reservation all said and done.

You are stressing over nothing. Please dont let this hiccup ruin the start of your holiday. You will be able to sort this on board. Might not happen for first night but it would be unusual for it not to be sorted by the second evening. All it will cost you is about an hour of your time queuing to see the maitre d on the first afternoon. He or she will be available for lots of guests with queries to sort prior to sailing in the restaurant.

Go see the Maitre'd as soon as you board. Be polite (yet firm) and ask to be switched to Select.

I think this is another Celebrity "issue" they need to deal with. I've booked both only to show up on board and find out I've been assigned the wrong one. So far I've never had a problem. Worst case scenario it took them until the 2nd day to fix it.

My documents all say Select but I'll believe it when I get there.

And I only mention Polite when dealing with the Maitre'd because I've seen first hand how worked up people can get and I've seen how much more accomodating they are when being dealt with in a professional manner.

See you on board in 9 days!

Is it worth ringing up and telling them whats what tomorrow? Then I might get new documents?

I think my nervousness with this issue is also because people say how bad the website is...so I cannot even trust it.

I am a little worried about waiting til boarding because at the end of the day Celebrity said I had it and it was fine on my account. Having to queue up to possibly not even get it or spend a while sorting it out is just not ok (coupled with the worry over the next week or so). I feel Celebrity should honour what they stated on my account and the fact I prepaid my grats to get it.

I am worried I will have to take a print off of my screen to guest services/the Maitre de.

Edited by Velvetwater

Don't just vent your frustrations here....

When you get home from your cruise and receive your post-cruise survey, LET CELEBRITY have it, with both barrels.

I always have a notepad with me before, during, and after my cruises. I make note of the good, the bad, and the downright ugly. That way, I remember all of the things I want to add on the last page of the survey. In order for the survey to NOT timeout, I create my comments as a WORD document, then COPY and PASTE it into the survey.

Then I just sit back and wait on their response....

Go see the Maitre'd as soon as you board. Be polite (yet firm) and ask to be switched to Select.

I think this is another Celebrity "issue" they need to deal with. I've booked both only to show up on board and find out I've been assigned the wrong one. So far I've never had a problem. Worst case scenario it took them until the 2nd day to fix it.

My documents all say Select but I'll believe it when I get there.

And I only mention Polite when dealing with the Maitre'd because I've seen first hand how worked up people can get and I've seen how much more accomodating they are when being dealt with in a professional manner.

See you on board in 9 days!

So agree. Been there done that. I have on several occasions been in that queue and seen very rude demanding people in front of me wanting immediate action and special attention. I walk forward when its my turn, smile and say you handled those people so well , I smile again am very polite calming and its amazing the differnce it makes.

The specific example I can recall was, that once final payment happens, and the cruise documents are issued, that those cruise documents do not further update over time what changes that happen post final payment. This was in regards to someone that had changed cabins, but their luggage tags (cabin number) never updated in the cruise docs. I think the Express pass did update however, but it doesn't list dining details.

That said, if you have not paid the gratuities up front, they you are likely NOT in select dining, I don't think that can do that without gathering payment. But reading your statement, sounds like you HAVE paid them, so this would be proof enough to me that Select was on the reservation all said and done.

We had a similar experience. After final payment, we switched from Traditional to Select, prepaying the gratuities when we made the change. However on embarkation day there was still a notice in our stateroom with 8:30pm late seating and table number assignment. We ignored it and dined in Select without incident.

You really dont need 'proof' and reams of paperwork. They know your grats have been prepaid. People go to the miatre d with all sorts of requests ranging from switching tables, to being seated with friends, or switching sittings. One year we met up with some nice poeple and after one night on select decided we wanted to switch to second to sit with them. This was arranged with no fuss.

They just have to repiece the big jigsaw puzzle back together to try and accomodate all these variations. So relax and be patient.

We had a similar experience. After final payment, we switched from Traditional to Select, prepaying the gratuities when we made the change. However on embarkation day there was still a notice in our stateroom with 8:30pm late seating and table number assignment. We ignored it and dined in Select without incident.

We switched to select dining a whole month after final payment too.

Ignoring traditional dining time sounds good.

Im hoping it wont come to sorting out on board but does anyone think printing out my computer screen account that says select will help?

Edited by Velvetwater

Honestly, I would not waste any time chasing this, and just handle on board, unless you are using as TA then let then deal with the struggle. Once you board, find Maitr'd outside the MDR and see what they can do to adjust you.

A month before my April Summit repo cruise, a CS became available. I had already received my luggage tags for my S1 cabin; and had printed my edocs.

I called my TA, and she got me changed to the CS. She ordered a set of luggage tags for me, but didn't tell me she had. I called the Captains Club desk and informed them that I was unable to order luggage tags; so THEY ordered a set for me. BOTH sets arrived in Texas within 6 days....

I kept waiting for the edocs to update; it only took 2 days for that to happen....

I still don't understand why, on my current reservations, my dining selection doesn't show my dining preference as Luminae. AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T SHOW Select Dining, I could care less. I have never liked Select Dining, because of the requirement to prepay gratuities.

I do check weekly to ensure that the idiots at Celebrity haven't changed my dining options. And I don't provide any credit card information prior to final payment.

If you have a copy of your reservation which says select, yes I would take that with you just to show you aren't blowing smoke.

I would give them a call tomorrow and just ask what seating they are showing you in. Hopefully you are worried about nothing other than their notorious website.

If you need to deal with it on-board I agree with the people who say to go about it firmly but politely and you should be accommodated by the second night.

By all means do a printout of your screen that says you are in Select. Then you have something to show the Maitre'D. Don't do anything else when you board, other than making your way to the Maitre'D to make sure everything is fine. There is often a long line for his attention.

Take B17's great advice and smile, be polite and reasonable about the situation but be FIRM. Stand your ground and I'm sure you will get your problem resolved.

I'm sorry this is taking away from the pleasure of knowing you are going on a cruise soon.

Thanks for the helpful replies :)

I am trying to think positive and that its just a document issue (the documents are behind all the online/new booking stuff) as the express online documents to print out also say we have not paid grats when we have (invoice proof).

I must admit, all these online and phone issues/paying grats before service stuff are putting me off booking with Celebrity in the future. Hoping for the best and a cruise that knocks my socks off.

Edited by Velvetwater

Sorry you are so upset:(....You have already paid your grats up front....

I would print out your confirmation and bring it with you. (I always do

that anyway)...it shows your payments. Well, it shows here in the states.

Not sure if you have a different confirmation in the UK...

I also echo the comments about seeing the Maitr'd.

Sorry about some of the unnecessary comments that are not helpful.

And I hope you both have a wonderful cruise:)

I hope you get it straightened out, and I feel quite sure that you will. Deep breaths!

What I suggest, since I've seen the lines (but never have had an occasion to queue up in them), if at all possible get to the port early and be among the first on the ship. When you get on board, go straightaway to the main dining room and find the queue or start one! No panic or rush, but no sense dragging it out.

If you're in the first few on line it will relieve your stress and set you about on your vacation sooner rather than later. Don't wait until there are 75 people in line.

Then.....once that's all done, head straight to Bistro on Five, settle in at a table and enjoy an adult beverage and a wonderful meal served to you. You'll pay a $10pp fee but it's the best way to start your cruise. The hectic buffet isn't what I'd call a relaxing start. You can sit and eat your lunch, not having to drag your carry-on luggage with you, and when they announce the cabins are ready, head on up.

I don't have to tell you to have fun. You will!

Many times the Maitr'd is not there until about 12:30 (or so).....

I agree with Claudia about going to see him but if you get there too

early, you will just be "sitting and waiting".....not sure if that will make

things more anxious for you or not.

We switched to select dining a whole month after final payment too.

Ignoring traditional dining time sounds good.

Im hoping it wont come to sorting out on board but does anyone think printing out my computer screen account that says select will help?

Yes; I highly recommend bringing your documentation with you. Also bring a copy of your invoice that shows you have pre-paid your gratuities.

You may not end up needing them, but you will feel better having the documentation available as back-up.

I understand why you are stressed. You have my empathy.

See you onboard!

Great to see fellow shipmates replying to this post...makes me feel a bit more excited for the cruise.

Husband isnt too bothered about it but I spend a while on getting ready and we have ports where we leave at 5pm-7pm so 6.15 dining is not great as I love to watch sail away for a while and we have an ocean view cabin. We booked it as we didn't have the money to prepay grats and 8.45 was sold out.

I am going to ring when they first open as lines have been really busy lately. Probably because of the good for nothing website!

Trying to chill...

Edited by Velvetwater

Velvet,

Things like this get my DH up in a roar, but please be assured all will work out. Bring your documentation, be calm, you get soo much further and do what my DH does. He purchases the first night diner in Normandie, at a reduced rate (they give you 20% off in most cases the first night). This gives the Madre'd time to settle things and you have a wonderful relaxing diner that is delicious! Take a couple of deep breaths, get everything ready for the cruise and have a great time!

In the past when there have been problems like this I like to get them handled before I get on the ship. One time I purchased a 5 night dining pkg way in advance and for some reason the computer lost the record of it and the $$ I had paid for it 5 nights before the cruise. A call to the Resolution Dept took care of the problem, so we had no worries when we boarded.

Velvet,

If your docs say your grats are already paid, then rest assured you have select dining. They only charge grats in advance to pax who choose select dining.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise!

That statement is not true. I always pay my grats up front now just to get them out of the way and this was when we always took second sitting.

The maitre D will have an allotted time to attend to queries, this is usually shown on the welcome onboard newsletter. I am trying to think from memory maybe 2.30 or 3pm for about one hour. The daily sheet will tell you which level of the dining room and whether port or starboard. And I have found if you try to phone them on the first day they do not readily pick up calls.

Edited by B17