Disability discrimination settlement

JB&JLG74

I agree with you! I have a registered "Therapy Dog" which I take to our local hospital & school.. I would never try to pass her off as a Service Dog, but have known people who actually do try to pass their dogs off as Service Dogs, when they are not..:( On one of our cruises, we met a Father/Daughter who had their dog on board.. I would have bet my last dollar that their dog was not trained properly & was not a Service Dog..

I work with a lady who actually trains Service Dogs from puppyhood to be Seeing eye dogs.. She & her DH keep the dogs for two years & then turns them over to "South Eastern Guide Dogs" for at least another year of training.. The dog is placed only with one person who needs the assistance.. If that person can't handle the dog (some are too large), or the dog does not pass muster due to size or temperament, our Friend's can adopt the dog..They have taken their Pup's in training on cruises,..Those dogs are extremely well trained, & would be welcome on any of our cruises...

The problem is the ADA rule says you can't question what the Handler's disability is.. You can only ask what the animal is trained to do.. I believe that HAL, some cruise Lines & many airlines are loathe to question the Dog's Handler as they are afraid they would be taken to court..

It's a shame that some people would take advantage!:(

How I agree with you. I too have a Therapy Dog (not a Service Dog) who is a comfort to patients in a hospice setting. I would never pass her off as a Service Dog. However, although I don't like to judge, we had two supposedly "Service Dogs" on a Maasdam transatlantic a couple of years ago. One, I'm pretty sure was legit. The other was dragged along by her owner in a baby stroller and was never petted or even smiled at by the owner. The dog was totally ignored and sometimes left in a corner in the stroller while the owner shopped. The husband did most of the "serious" tending (like taking it out on a rear deck to poop) and he was careful to never make eye contact. Very strange. I know what it costs me to board my dog with my vet, and when the vet tells me she's too old to be boarded, I will not travel. I won't take advantage of the cruise line. And, yes, I've seen legitimate Service Dogs aboard ship, primarily guide dogs with blind owners who had a wonderful, warm relationship with their dogs.

One of my first experiences on the HAL board was a judgemental comment by a regular about my DH's disability. Hopefully posts like yours will help others become more knowledgeable and less judgemental. It is important to focus on what is possible to do with the challenges faced.

I must agree with you, and with Ruth's very eloquent post. We always take a wheelchair onboard as my DH has to use it on bad days, but we have never booked a handicap cabin. Those cabins are for those who have real mobility challenges and are often wheelchair-bound. (or scooter, as the case may be).

I must agree with you, and with Ruth's very eloquent post. We always take a wheelchair onboard as my DH has to use it on bad days, but we have never booked a handicap cabin. Those cabins are for those who have real mobility challenges and are often wheelchair-bound. (or scooter, as the case may be).

You are spot on, Lizzie. I remember a lady a few years ago who was boasting pre cruise about scoring a handicapped cabin just for the extra space. She then spent the cruise complaining that the cabin had no sofa. Now I call that karma.

I remember a lady a few years ago who was boasting pre cruise about scoring a handicapped cabin just for the extra space. She then spent the cruise complaining that the cabin had no sofa. Now I call that karma.

Gotta love it when Karma works fast. :D

You are spot on, Lizzie. I remember a lady a few years ago who was boasting pre cruise about scoring a handicapped cabin just for the extra space. She then spent the cruise complaining that the cabin had no sofa. Now I call that karma.

I was just thinking that it's been quite a while since someone has boasted about getting the HC cabin for the extra space. I wonder if it's happening less often or people are ashamed to brag about it?

On the subject of service dogs, I just did a search on a well-known auction site and found 4700 listings for "service dog vest." So it's pretty easy to dress up your dog as a service dog. I have heard stories of people faking it in order to take a dog along at a hotel.

I appreciate that privacy laws mean the cruise line can't ask a passenger what condition they have that requires the dog. But if it's so easy to fake, there needs to be some way to make sure the real deal gets on board and the ordinary pet does not.

Some people just need accommodations for the BATHROOM, not the rest of the room/cabin. Grab bars may be needed to get on and off low toilets and into/out of showers in tubs. (Sometimes edges of tubs or sink counters can be used, door handles as well. I know, I am an expert on this.)

I can easily walk 5+miles, bike many miles, swim, etc, but due to some muscle limitations I cannot get off a low toilet seat without something sturdy to pull up on or someone to help push or pull me. I have never asked for nor used a special needs cabin and I can only imagine the looks and comments I would get if someone who had seen me around the ship or on shore would say.

I was just thinking that it's been quite a while since someone has boasted about getting the HC cabin for the extra space. I wonder if it's happening less often or people are ashamed to brag about it?

On the subject of service dogs, I just did a search on a well-known auction site and found 4700 listings for "service dog vest." So it's pretty easy to dress up your dog as a service dog. I have heard stories of people faking it in order to take a dog along at a hotel.

I appreciate that privacy laws mean the cruise line can't ask a passenger what condition they have that requires the dog. But if it's so easy to fake, there needs to be some way to make sure the real deal gets on board and the ordinary pet does not.

Personally, I don't see the attraction of a HC cabin if you do not strictly need it. It seems to have less storage space, and a smaller - or no - couch.

Personally, I don't see the attraction of a HC cabin if you do not strictly need it. It seems to have less storage space, and a smaller - or no - couch.

I know I would miss my couch. I do sit there sometimes, and it's a lot more comfortable than sitting on the bed.

Another thing missing, as I understand it, is the shelf under the sink. That is essential space to me. I store lots of things there, that I don't want to try to remember to bring from somewhere else on my way in; I KNOW how that's gonna work out! :rolleyes:).

My fall cruise is my first in a disability cabin. I have limited mobility and use a cane and now a rollator when off the ship. Regular cabins are usually ok, it's the bathrooms which are difficult. The step up and through the door is impossible and I need grab bars.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to cruise as much as we want because the disability cabins are always booked before we try. Maybe with a few more cabins in the mix we will have a better chance of reserving one.