How late for dinner can you be? (and still be served)

This is why I always get Any Time Dining now. No problem in rushing back from port and you don't mess up anyone else. We usually find a server we like and then just request them. It's the only option in my opinion. If I were greater than 15 minutes late for a scheduled dining time I would use a different option, there is food all over the ship, no one will go hungry.

There are two ferry companies, they both run on the hour and take about 45 minutes. The last ferry is 9 pm (Mexico time) weather permitting.

No need for a ferry, Playa Mia is in Cozumel. The drive time to the beach clubs is roughly 15 to 20 minutes by cab.

No steakhouse on Paradise.

That's why I asked. I didn't want to just show up late and cause a problem.

If I didn't care about being rude or discourteous' date=' I would have just shown up at 7 without asking about it first.[/quote']

No, no steakhouse on the Fantasy class of ships but the pizza is great and open 24/7. :)

Whichever deck you disembark on there will be a giant crowd waiting. Usually deck 0, but often you have to wait on deck 1.

Although, last time we were in Cozumel they never announced you could disembark, and we just noticed people slowly filtering out a little before the official port time.

Deck 0 is usually used for tenders. Cozumel has a pier so I would think deck 5 (I haven't been to Cozumel on a Fantasy class ship but Nassau has the same set up and we used deck 5 and walked directly onto the pier).

On past cruises, if we knew that we would be coming back late from an excursion, as a courtesy to our wait staff and tablemates, we would let everyone know the day BEFORE that we wouldn't be joining them for dinner, and why. That way, no one would have to wait for us. For anything else, I agree with others. Ten minutes, 15 minutes tops. If you're running late and know that 's going to be more than 10 or 15 minutes, call the MDR and let the hostess/ host know. Give them your name and cabin number, and let them know you won't be coming for dinner. Why inconvenience everyone else at your table?

Doesn't being late affect the people that have "late" dining? The wait staff has to have the table clear and ready for the next group, so it's extremely rude to mess that up if this is the case. It throws everyone off and there are plenty of other dining options. I'm really shocked this is even a question. I never even considered showing up late on a port day:eek: (or any day). If you don't book in time to get anytime dining, you should suck it up and not inconvenience anyone else in my opinion. I'm really not trying to be rude, but I asked several people I know what they thought and they ALL agreed you should not be late. If there were no other options, that would be a different story.

It is really hard for me to understand that folks with set dining times don't understand that 6PM for dinner means 6PM??

Why would it be OK to stroll in late? Obviously people do it but to say you "didn't know" seems really strange to me!

I feel the same way. It is the highest form of inconsideration for someone to stroll into the dining room late.

Next people will be asking for the ship to wait for them if they are late getting back to the ship. Quit being selfish and learn to abide by the times posted.

There have been discussions on JH's page on that other site about going back to the old days and shutting the doors after 15 minutes or so. I believe he said it was under discussion with the beards in Miami. We can only hope.

We have 6:00 dining. I'm not sure what time we will be back from our trip to Playa Mia. They have shuttles that leave Playa Mia every hour on the hour.

I think they are open until 7:00 ships time (not sure). If they are' date=' we may decide to skip MDR, and just eat at Lido buffet. We won't be getting there until around 12:30 ships time. But, if we're getting tired and want to head back, I'd like to know which shuttle would work so we could eat at the MDR.

I assume the 5:00 shuttle would get us back in time to change in our cabin before dinner.

But, what if we bring our change of clothes with us to Playa Mia? This way, if we catch the 6:00 shuttle, we can go right to the MDR after boarding. When would we arrive at the MDR? Would they still serve us? Would it help if we spoke to our server the night before, maybe even pre-order?

Just trying to figure out all of our options.

We're using the shuttles instead of a cab so we won't need car seats.

If it matters, we're scheduled to depart Cozumel at 8:00.

Thanks![/quote']

They used to close the doors 10 minutes after the start of the meal.

A late party just doesn't affect your table, but all the tables services by your staff.theyve gotten very lax in recent years, seemingly catering to the rule breakers at the expense of the rule followers.

They used to close the doors 10 minutes after the start of the meal.

A late party just doesn't affect your table, but all the tables services by your staff.theyve gotten very lax in recent years, seemingly catering to the rule breakers at the expense of the rule followers.

Totally agree... Cannot wait to see it reinstated.

I feel the same way. It is the highest form of inconsideration for someone to stroll into the dining room late.

Next people will be asking for the ship to wait for them if they are late getting back to the ship. Quit being selfish and learn to abide by the times posted.

This is for the above poster, and other's who said something similar.

Not everyone has the background information needed to realize that being xx minutes late would cause inconveniences for others in the MDR.

Hanlon's razor applies:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Try keeping this in mind as you go about your life. I bet you find that YOU will be happier in the end.

This is for the above poster' date=' and other's who said something similar.

Not everyone has the background information needed to realize that being xx minutes late would cause inconveniences for others in the MDR.

Hanlon's razor applies:

[i']Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.[/i]

Try keeping this in mind as you go about your life. I bet you find that YOU will be happier in the end.

Hmmmm......sounds like a rationalization to me.

It is immaterial as to whether people are being inconvenienced or not. If someone selects a dedicated dining time one is supposed to be early or on time. If one does not know when the want to go to dinner, select Anytime Dining.

Hanlon's razor applies:

[i']Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.[/i]

You are correct, there can be a lot of reasons for someone to be late and if a one off situation not see the domino affect to others and the servers. That being said, there are many and I mean many who do understand the affect of their actions and some who do it just to show that they hold the power, or don't care in the littlest way because it is their vacation.

Hanlon's razor applies:

Very good, what else has Hanlon said?

I remember my first "real" cruise on the Carnivale back in 1990. At that time, there was assigned seating for all 3 meals! There was a couple at our table who were consistently late to all meals that they showed up to, forcing the rest of us and our servers to be inconvenienced. At the last dinner, they didn't show up at all---which was when you brought your tip envelope. Based on the waiter's expression's at that meal, they hadn't given it to him earlier. I felt really bad for him.

Dont know but seems as if he was a very bright fellow not afraid to call a sapde a spade as the old saying went before we went into a politically correct downward spiral.

If he was that smart, it must have been a different Hanlon, unless he changed his name from Occam....:cool: