How late for dinner can you be? (and still be served)

We have 6:00 dining. I'm not sure what time we will be back from our trip to Playa Mia. They have shuttles that leave Playa Mia every hour on the hour.

I think they are open until 7:00 ships time (not sure). If they are, we may decide to skip MDR, and just eat at Lido buffet. We won't be getting there until around 12:30 ships time. But, if we're getting tired and want to head back, I'd like to know which shuttle would work so we could eat at the MDR.

I assume the 5:00 shuttle would get us back in time to change in our cabin before dinner.

But, what if we bring our change of clothes with us to Playa Mia? This way, if we catch the 6:00 shuttle, we can go right to the MDR after boarding. When would we arrive at the MDR? Would they still serve us? Would it help if we spoke to our server the night before, maybe even pre-order?

Just trying to figure out all of our options.

We're using the shuttles instead of a cab so we won't need car seats.

If it matters, we're scheduled to depart Cozumel at 8:00.

Thanks!

You really don't want to be more than 10 minutes late. It throws serving off and is inconveniencing to the staff and your fellow cruisers.

Luckily, you have options! :) I would plan to eat dinner on lido and not be in a rush to leave playa so you can enjoy it.

If you are more than 5-10 minutes late, they MIGHT still seat and serve you, but it can really mess up service for tablemates. We had a family of 4 show up 20 minutes late one night and we were not served our entrees until they were "caught up". I like YTD because on port days I don't have to stress. If we don't do YTD, we always planned to be back on ship an hour before dinner or just hit the lido.

Edited by angiegal

Also, be curious to your servers and table mates.

If you think you'll be late or miss the next nights Meal in the MDR, let the servers know. This way they won't delay service while waiting for your party to arrive.

On the Breeze had a woman at our table come in 45 minutes late every night. They served her but boy was it rude to those of us that were already seated and eating.

The waiter would stop everything and get her caught up. Needless to say several people spoke up about it but she just did not care.

I would hope that you would not be more than 10 minutes late like others stated. If you are going to be late there is always the buffet.

On the Breeze had a woman at our table come in 45 minutes late every night. They served her but boy was it rude to those of us that were already seated and eating.

The waiter would stop everything and get her caught up. Needless to say several people spoke up about it but she just did not care.

I would hope that you would not be more than 10 minutes late like others stated. If you are going to be late there is always the buffet.

After 20 minutes they should have told the woman where lido was.

few years back they use to shut the doors after 10 minutes. but now they let anyone in up until the next serving. they are scared they might remove the tips if they refuse anyone!:(

Edited by linbobky

We had a family of 4 show up 20 minutes late one night and we were not served our entrees until they were "caught up".

Did you complain? I think I would have been pretty insistent with the waiter, and then the maitre'd that dining times are set, and you were on time and should not be made to wait!

(We have not done set dining though since our Freedom cruise where we had multiple nights that edged on 3 hours; when we were seated as soon as the doors opened. We had a great experience on the Spirit- but that was truly horrible.)

I'm not proud of it but it was my first cruise and I wasn't aware of how the dining worked. I was very green. I showed up 45-60 minutes late 3 nights and was served each time. I didn't understand why the couple i was with stared at me in contempt each time until I started reading here.

few years back they use to shut the doors after 10 minutes. but now they let anyone in up until the next serving. they are scared they might remove the tips if they refuse anyone!:(

I wish they shut the doors no later than 20 minutes after the dining time. On the Liberty in April, there were people at the table across from us who were late every night and our table service suffered. It's a shame that my MDR service was only mediocre because another table was always late. And I agree that they probably don't enforce the dining time because they don't want to lose tips, but I didn't tip any extra to the team on that cruise because the service to my table was barely ok.

Edited by mzlinda

As I remember the ferry from Playa Carmen to Cozumel was long (45 minutes?). It also let us off at a different pier than we were docked so we had to take a cab to where our ship was then we had ti walk the pier to the ship. I think taking the 6 pm ferry for a 6 pm dinner reservation would be pushing it.

I think they should close the doors, and not allow anyone else into the dining room at 15 minutes after the assigned time. It's just plain RUDE of people to arrive 30-45 minutes late, and expect everyone else at their table to sit, and wait while the wait staff catches up. :eek:

"SKY"

I think they should close the doors, and not allow anyone else into the dining room at 15 minutes after the assigned time. It's just plain RUDE of people to arrive 30-45 minutes late, and expect everyone else at their table to sit, and wait while the wait staff catches up. :eek:

"SKY"

Agreed. All it would take is a simple sign telling people of the policy and if they are late and not served it is only their fault.

Totally agree, if there is one thing I really dislike it people who come in that late. I wish they would close the doors to the MDR and enforce it.

Op, while I can understand your question, if you are late I would probably go to Lido for dinner.

We always eat at the Lido if we're off on a excursion close to dinner time. I hate people who consistently show up late for an assigned time. If you can't be prompt then book YTD or go to the buffet. They really need to go back to the rule of closing the doors at a certain time.

We have always been on time, but we have been seated with a family that averaged fifteen to twenty minutes late every night. The staff did an amazing job slowly catching them up to us. We later learned that the wife was suffering from morning sickness while trying to get herself and the kids dressed nicely for dinner every night. :eek:

Everyone should make the effort to be there on time because it's harder for staff, but things happen and I would hate to see the doors barred. Perhaps a friendly reminder in the Funtimes for those unaware of the expectation to arrive on time?

To the OP, if you can make it to the MDR by 6:20, I would go ahead and then apologize to your waiters and tablemates when you arrive. Otherwise, eat on Lido. Can anyone answer the question about how long the shuttle takes?

Took a friend who had never cruised, first nite ATD, she wanted to know where the prices were on the menu. Elegant nite took a nap woke at 9:00 PM. Dressed up quickly,ended up behind two "two gentleman" upset that hostess wouldn't let them in with cargo shorts. Made eye contact,apologized for oversleeping. The other hostess walked us by. They made comment on my sandals being allowed! It was the first brouha over dress code I had ever seen, but the service and meal put it in the rearview mirror quickly.

I would just plan to eat on Lido so you don't have to worry about it that one night. We much prefer to eat in the dining room- but sometimes it is better to relax instead of trying to do to much. I really hate trying to rush back from an excursion when I don't actually have control over how fast we can go. :)

On the other hand, it looks like there is not one solid answer to your question. People have had a variety of experiences. On our last cruise there was a family of at least 4 people seated near us. Every single night they arrived late. Frequently they did not arrive together but trickled in one at a time. We had a pool going on who would leisurely stroll in, and at what time. lol. They clearly were in no hurry and either had no idea they were making it tough on the wait staff or didn't care. I suspect they just didn't realize it was an issue. One night a couple of them showed up while we were on dessert.

However, there were a lot empty tables in the dining room that week, and although the wait team had to break their stride to accommodate the family, all of the rest of us were served very quickly and consistently and it didn't have any impact on us at all. Other than being the nightly dinner show entertainment- that is. ;)

It is really hard for me to understand that folks with set dining times don't understand that 6PM for dinner means 6PM??

Why would it be OK to stroll in late? Obviously people do it but to say you "didn't know" seems really strange to me!

I think that if they closed the doors on people after 15 minutes, people would make it a point to get there on time from then on. Its not like they are going to starve if they miss one meal at the MDR.

BUT I guess the world just revolves around all those that are late so.... everyone that arrives on time should really just be thanking them for gracing them with their presence.

Thanks all for the replies, and for keeping the discussion civil.

I guess I'll have a feel for the timing on the return shuttle service, when I see how long the drive is to Playa Mia.

I wish we arrived in Cozumel earlier. I'm guessing Cozumel is the reason why ATD was wait list only when we booked. With two young ones, we can't do 8 pm dining.

So, if we get to Play Mia at 12:30, we'll have 4 hours of play time before having to head back for the 5:00 shuttle. Would like more, but enough to have fun. Even if we get back on the ship at 5:45, we'd have just enough time to quickly change and get to the MDR within a few minutes of 6 (Paradise is a small ship!).

Here's another, related question, while I have your attention:

The shuttle leaves the Play Mia store, across the street from the dock, every hour. The ship is scheduled to be at port at 11:00, which is why I assumed I'd be on the 12:00 shuttle. Any chance the ship could arrive early, and we'd catch the 11:00 shuttle?

If you are more than 5-10 minutes late, they MIGHT still seat and serve you, but it can really mess up service for tablemates. We had a family of 4 show up 20 minutes late one night and we were not served our entrees until they were "caught up". I like YTD because on port days I don't have to stress. If we don't do YTD, we always planned to be back on ship an hour before dinner or just hit the lido.

On a cruise a couple of years ago we had a couple that arrived between 30 to 45 minutes late every evening. They still seated and served them. I wish they would go back to when the closed the doors 15 minutes after dinner service started and if you didn't make it you went to the buffet.

Another good reason to make the gratuities a non-refundable service charge.

I'm not proud of it but it was my first cruise and I wasn't aware of how the dining worked. I was very green. I showed up 45-60 minutes late 3 nights and was served each time. I didn't understand why the couple i was with stared at me in contempt each time until I started reading here.

So you could comprehend that you were late but couldn't comprehend why that might be a problem? :confused: