Zuiderdam - no lunch served in master dining room?

patrick65

I recently read a Zuiderdam negative review for a June 15 2015 cruise. This review stated that lunch was never served in the master dining room. This is so out of the ordinary for Holland I question if it is true. It seems if it were true it would be a major topic of discussion on the board and such a move would place a major burden on the Lido.

MDR is normally closed at lunch on port days. They figure most are ashore and the Lido, Dive In, and room service will be able to handle any who stay aboard. I've even seen the PG closed at lunch on port days.

exactly! it's usually open on sea days though and the PG is as well except for some special stuff going on there.

I have seen it open on the odd port day, but it's usually an early port day, otherwise not. And, why would it be? Most people are in port and coming back and different times, so they will opt for the Lido or the Canaletto or room service.

exactly! it's usually open on sea days though and the PG is as well except for some special stuff going on there.

I have seen it open on the odd port day, but it's usually an early port day, otherwise not. And, why would it be? Most people are in port and coming back and different times, so they will opt for the Lido or the Canaletto or room service.

This is exactly the experience which I have found on my many Hal cruises. The LIdo can do lunch very well on days ship is in port.

This is exactly the experience which I have found on my many Hal cruises. The LIdo can do lunch very well on days ship is in port.

for sure. put that review aside and don't worry. too bad inflammatory, misleading reviews are permitted.

I must say, i just got off the oosterdam. The lunch in the lido was pretty impressive. Everything from made to order sandwiches and salads to sushi. Each day hAd some kind of fish and a carved roast - beef or turkey or lamb. And always pizza and pasta. I am not a buffet person but this was more than adequate.

I must say, i just got off the oosterdam. The lunch in the lido was pretty impressive. Everything from made to order sandwiches and salads to sushi. Each day hAd some kind of fish and a carved roast - beef or turkey or lamb. And always pizza and pasta. I am not a buffet person but this was more than adequate.

I agree. The Oosterdam had quite an impressive Lido for lunch. I loved it that they had fish at the Asian bar everyday day we went, something I've never seen before.

I'm not sure having the MDR closed at lunch is new. I remember back in 2013 it was rarely open. That said the cruise was port intensive. I notice these things because I'm not a fan of the lido and the dive in is so so. Generally when the MDR is closed the pinnacle will be open. Even that didn't happen on the Veendam in May, Did it ruin my cruise? No. Somehow I managed.

I have been on a number of HAL cruises, and have had lunch in the MDR plenty of times ... never noticed it closed ... which is, of course, because I am ALWAYS off the ship during port days.

I'm not a buffet person, either - but mostly because I can eat cafeteria-style at home whenever I want, so usually choose the MDR unless we are in a hurry - that said, I love cruising because of the different place each day, and couldn't imagine missing a port, so never even noticed that the MDR may or may not be open when we are in port.

I'm not sure having the MDR closed at lunch is new. I remember back in 2013 it was rarely open. That said the cruise was port intensive. I notice these things because I'm not a fan of the lido and the dive in is so so. Generally when the MDR is closed the pinnacle will be open. Even that didn't happen on the Veendam in May, Did it ruin my cruise? No. Somehow I managed.[/quote

Things change so much!

On a TA several years ago, we had the MDR open for lunch 9 days straight with 3 ports involved. We were sure it would be closed at the second port, then at the third port, but no!

To put this to rest:

There IS lunch offered on Sea days in the MDR on Zuiderdam.

Sometimes. One level is reserved for Mariner brunch or B2B cruise lunch.

On port days, the MDR is closed as is standard on most lines and ships.

There is never a problem finding seats in the lido and the offerings are good.

Some people only come on cruisecritic to critisize and not to contribute...

I'm not sure having the MDR closed at lunch is new. I remember back in 2013 it was rarely open. That said the cruise was port intensive. I notice these things because I'm not a fan of the lido and the dive in is so so. Generally when the MDR is closed the pinnacle will be open. Even that didn't happen on the Veendam in May, Did it ruin my cruise? No. Somehow I managed.[/quote

Things change so much!

On a TA several years ago, we had the MDR open for lunch 9 days straight with 3 ports involved. We were sure it would be closed at the second port, then at the third port, but no!

I sure would love to see that:).

I'm not sure having the MDR closed at lunch is new. I remember back in 2013 it was rarely open. That said the cruise was port intensive. I notice these things because I'm not a fan of the lido and the dive in is so so. Generally when the MDR is closed the pinnacle will be open. Even that didn't happen on the Veendam in May, Did it ruin my cruise? No. Somehow I managed.

agree, I don't think it's anything new either.

You are both right :)

the variation of the MDR open will very much depend upon the itinerary. I have certainly seen the MDR open more for lunch on TA's and in Europe than in the Caribbean, but that's just my experience.