Coat and Tie still required?

sjoantwe

I'm sorry if I sound a bit rude, but why is the discussion being repeated over and over again.

If you book with HAL, you know you're going on a cruise line that likes tradition more than other lines and yes, part of it is dressing up for dinner. Then why are people not doing it ? It bothers the h*ll out of me to see people not dressed up in the MDR, maybe my problem but it takes away part of the things to I like of HAL.

So stick to the rules or book NCL or another line where you can eat dinner in your shorts.

Especially for those of us who have no bloody idea what "resort casual" (which they use as an explanation) is,

When we lived in northern Virginia the resort casual was like a different world from

what it is here in Florida. So really the definition is murky, at best.

So, I guess that means you are a smarty pants? ;)

/COLOR]

ROFLMAO

I'm sorry if I sound a bit rude, but why is the discussion being repeated over and over again.

If you book with HAL, you know you're going on a cruise line that likes tradition more than other lines and yes, part of it is dressing up for dinner. Then why are people not doing it ? It bothers the h*ll out of me to see people not dressed up in the MDR, maybe my problem but it takes away part of the things to I like of HAL.

So stick to the rules or book NCL or another line where you can eat dinner in your shorts.

A better question is why Hal doesn't enforce it. Some people will try to get away with whatever they can.

Two big reasons:

1. People who are new to CC, or at least to HAL, wanting to know; and

2. The dress code isn't static but in a constant state of evolution.

To which I should add:

3. That's the nature of boards! :)

Especially for those of us who have no bloody idea what "resort casual" (which they use as an explanation) is,

When we lived in northern Virginia the resort casual was like a different world from

what it is here in Florida. So really the definition is murky, at best.

Oh yeah. It hadn't even occurred to me that "resort casual" could depend on locale just as much as "business casual".

Heh.. the only resorts I've been to out here, attire is optional.

As for business attire, here in Seattle, it is typical to see even lawyers and CEOs going to work every day in nice jeans or slacks and a button up with a tie. No jacket (unless you count outerwear/Goretex), often nice boots/black sneakers, and short sleeves depending on the weather. Regular office workers usually dispense with the tie and often just wear a nice t-shirt or polo type shirt. "Business casual" is even more relaxed. (like I said before.. no holes in your jeans and t-shirt, basically) This is perfectly normal and acceptable here, whereas, on the East coast, showing up at pretty much any office job in less than a suit and tie is just not going to go over, at all, except on "casual Friday", when you can lose the tie and maybe the jacket, but still no jeans, shorts, dockers, etc.

ROFLMAO

Now you're going to have to get different pants to accommodate your reduced backside! :eek:

Two big reasons:

1. People who are new to CC, or at least to HAL, wanting to know; and

2. The dress code isn't static but in a constant state of evolution.

To which I should add:

3. That's the nature of boards! :)

You're right, that 's what the boards are for....:o

But for people who know what the dress code is and still not stick to it :mad:

A better question is why Hal doesn't enforce it. Some people will try to get away with whatever they can.

The way the dress code reads, it applies to the MDR, the Pinnacle Grill, and (if available) Tamarind.

Having disembarked the Veendam on Saturday, IMHO they should do away with the Gala/Formal nights and the dress code or specifically state not suggest what is appropriate and enforce it!!!

Out of four Gala nights only once was someone turned away from the dinning room. A couple (old enough to know better) were dressed as follows: He in his cut off jeans and short sleeved white undershirt and she in a terry cloth beach cover up with flip flops. The only reason they were turned away was because shorts are not allowed in the dinning room for dinner; nothing said about the rest of their attire. How do I know this, because the couple was in line in front of my husband and myself.

As for the Pinnacle Grill, flannel shirts and levis were deemed appropriate, even on Gala Night.

I agree wholeheartedly with this!! Especially for those of us who have no bloody idea what "resort casual" (which they use as an explanation) is, and live or work in places where "office casual" means your jeans shouldn't have holes in them. The cruise industry is beginning to put cruising in reach for people outside of the more elite classes. That means that many of us don't know all the unwritten rules for what "appropriate" means. I have to wonder if some of the people who show up inappropriately dressed for the MDR simply didn't understand all the vague descriptions and gave up.

Unless you do the unthinkable, and arrive at the Mariner's Luncheon sporting sandals, the penalty for which is being subjected to snooty commentary from other passengers. :rolleyes:

Your humor is great. Makes me laugh. :)

Thanks for sharing the difference about office dress in Seattle.

Boston professional dress is still more 'buttoned up', suits, ties for the guys etc. It's interesting to compare coast to coast. :)

When we say country club or smart casual, we mean probably a bit more starched and dressed up than some other regions.

Now, when a tie is required, I wear a turtle neck shirt. Comfortable and still acceptable.

I guess you do not cruise in hot climates much :rolleyes: Hard to think of a turtleneck as being comfortable in the Greek Isles or the Caribbean.

Having disembarked the Veendam on Saturday, IMHO they should do away with the Gala/Formal nights and the dress code or specifically state not suggest what is appropriate and enforce it!!!

Out of four Gala nights only once was someone turned away from the dinning room. A couple (old enough to know better) were dressed as follows: He in his cut off jeans and short sleeved white undershirt and she in a terry cloth beach cover up with flip flops. The only reason they were turned away was because shorts are not allowed in the dinning room for dinner; nothing said about the rest of their attire. How do I know this, because the couple was in line in front of my husband and myself.

As for the Pinnacle Grill, flannel shirts and levis were deemed appropriate, even on Gala Night.

I was on the same Veendam cruise, and I was actually impressed by the relative strictness and enforcement of the dress code in the dining room. On several (non-formal) nights I saw men being 86'ed at the door for wearing shorts - including one of my own tablemates. He reappeared later with long pants on. On the Gala nights, the guys up front were handing out loaner jackets until they ran out.

That said, it's nigh-impossible to enforce the "stay dressed throughout the evening" rule, and after dinner tuxedos rubbed elbows with t-shirts just about everywhere.

It's a constant struggle between "I'm on vacation; I'm here to relax, and I don't want to have to dress up" and "It's a special occasion and we should try to look our best". As society becomes more casual across the board, I think the relaxers will inevitably win this war. But I'll go down with my tie and cummerbund on, and I'll look fantastic. ;)

Just back from a cruise on Eurodam and on the one gala night I went to at the MDR, I wore a jacket but no tie. On the other hand, I hedged my bets and had one ready in the room but I think I was otherwise smartly enough attired to pass muster.

More than one person has posted lately that either a jacket or a tie seems to be 'passing' in order to be seated.

To be safe & not get turned away from a formal night MDR experience ,I bring a sports jacket & 2 pairs of dress pants ,2 dress shirts & 2 ties I wear my sports jacket on planes to & from the cruise . This is for a 21 day trans Pacific cruise . One pair dress shoes only . :D

We can have clothes washed ,dried & folded aboard ship .Thus ,we are able to keep our packing of clothes to a minimum . :D

When I retired 7 years ago, we moved. I left all my ties and dress shirts behind.

Now, when a tie is required, I wear a turtle neck shirt. Comfortable and still acceptable.

Glenn:cool:

I switched to T-necks a few years ago when I got rid of the tux...

I guess you do not cruise in hot climates much :rolleyes: Hard to think of a turtleneck as being comfortable in the Greek Isles or the Caribbean.

Not all turtlenecks are wool, and a knit cotton t-neck is a lot cooler than a woven shirt...

I was on the same Veendam cruise, and I was actually impressed by the relative strictness and enforcement of the dress code in the dining room. On several (non-formal) nights I saw men being 86'ed at the door for wearing shorts - including one of my own tablemates. He reappeared later with long pants on. On the Gala nights, the guys up front were handing out loaner jackets until they ran out.

That said, it's nigh-impossible to enforce the "stay dressed throughout the evening" rule, and after dinner tuxedos rubbed elbows with t-shirts just about everywhere.

It's a constant struggle between "I'm on vacation; I'm here to relax, and I don't want to have to dress up" and "It's a special occasion and we should try to look our best". As society becomes more casual across the board, I think the relaxers will inevitably win this war. But I'll go down with my tie and cummerbund on, and I'll look fantastic. ;)

The relaxers have already won. Everyone just doesn't know it yet. Time to quit the fight and enjoy dinner

Which dinning room deck 7 or 8? I agree it is hard these days to enforce "stay dressed" after dinner. To me it would be more of a hassle to run back to the cabin to change once again then to stay dressed.

Which dinning room deck 7 or 8? I agree it is hard these days to enforce "stay dressed" after dinner. To me it would be more of a hassle to run back to the cabin to change once again then to stay dressed.

I hear you. Once I'm dressed I'm not changing. Changing clothes seems odd to me.