Your thoughts on two Europe cruise options please

I'd go with option one for two reasons:

1. Option two sounds quite tiring as to the amount of ports

2. This is just my personal opinion, but I'd rather do one long cruise rather than B2B because of the atmosphere on the ship. On a B2B, most of the other passengers come to the end of their cruise in the middle of yours and then you get a completely new crowd who go about learning the ropes. But that's just how I feel about them, and why I have only done one B2B, I know many people love them.

We did Brilliance in 2004 for 12 days from Barcelona to Venice and back. Of the 12 RCI cruises we have sailed, it is still our favorite cruise because of Venice, Rome, Naples and Florence. We just did 12 days on Brilliance again in the Baltic in early June. We love the Radiance class of ships (sailed twice on Brilliance, twice on Radiance). We are Diamond on RCI (soon to be Diamond Plus) but have yet to sail the Vision Class of ship. It is smaller and older than Brilliance with less balconies etc. However, I think the itinerary should be the key factor and while I like the pack/unpack once scenario, the fact that you can see both Italy AND the Greek Isles back to back would probably be the way I would go, especially since this is your first sojourn to Europe. Either way, you will have a great time. Good Luck!

Venice - the sailaway is one of its kind.

You have the Alilaguna Blue line right at the cruise terminal, it takes you straight to San Marco to wander around and back.

So what is was so special about sail away? I have booked a RT Venice Back to back for the very reason of having 4 opportunities as I have heard the view is most spectacular, have been to Venice several times by land but never by sea.

I say option 2 and yes you can disembark and walk the city.

Edited by land lover

I was on a cruise in 2012 that sailed out of Venice and it was magical. If I recall right, we left at about 6 pm. The ship sailed slowly through the lagoon and we had the most amazing views of San Marco Piazza and the Rialto Bridge - against the setting sun! To this day, if I'm showing anyone the pics from that trip, they ooh and ah about the Venice sail away pics! It really was a once in a lifetime experience.

If you didnt know already, for sailing out of Venice, pick the port side. Starboard if you are sailing in. Since you are doing a back to back, maybe you can pick one on each side. Enjoy - we had 3 days in Venice pre cruise and it was definitely a highlight. We were sailing from Venice to Barcelona so for us, we had to pick port side as we were only getting the one opportunity to see the sailaway. :D

Option 2, definitely. Venice over Athens, no contest. Turkey is a waste. We have done both. "Venice - the sailaway is one of its kind."

Two more days to amortize the enormous amount of money you will spend to fly.

Rest when you get back to work. Do the 14 day. you may never get back there again.

I was on a cruise in 2012 that sailed out of Venice and it was magical. If I recall right, we left at about 6 pm. The ship sailed slowly through the lagoon and we had the most amazing views of San Marco Piazza and the Rialto Bridge - against the setting sun! To this day, if I'm showing anyone the pics from that trip, they ooh and ah about the Venice sail away pics! It really was a once in a lifetime experience.

If you didnt know already, for sailing out of Venice, pick the port side. Starboard if you are sailing in. Since you are doing a back to back, maybe you can pick one on each side. Enjoy - we had 3 days in Venice pre cruise and it was definitely a highlight. We were sailing from Venice to Barcelona so for us, we had to pick port side as we were only getting the one opportunity to see the sailaway. :D

We are on the port side, lucky us didn't even think of that, thanks for the tip. We'll probably be on top for the first sail away but if weather is cold might be nice to have the shelter of the balcony. I love to take photos....just hearing you describe yours really makes me glad I booked the B2B....will be worth the long trek from CA. Thanks again.....

Which option sounds better? Thanks in advance.

Option #2 by a mile... 14 days vs. 12, Venice & Kotor. One of my favorite memories of an excursion is taking the ferry over to Delos (Mykonos) and climbing the ruins of Apollo.... Magic!

Whatever choice you make, have an excellent cruise! :D

So what is was so special about sail away?

Sail-in on Serenade

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44387109&highlight=venice#post44387109

Sail-away the next day

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44407038&highlight=sail+away#post44407038

Pictures say a thousand words... but these just don't do this justice. You have to be there. Take video... My video is phenomenal!

Option #2 by a mile... 14 days vs. 12, Venice & Kotor. One of my favorite memories of an excursion is taking the ferry over to Delos (Mykonos) and climbing the ruins of Apollo.... Magic!

Sail-in on Serenade

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44387109&highlight=venice#post44387109

Sail-away the next day

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44407038&highlight=sail+away#post44407038

Pictures say a thousand words... but these just don't do this justice. You have to be there. Take video... My video is phenomenal!

I am so happy I took another peek at this roll call...and found your post ...I love your stills, It looks just as I imagine it would I love a birds eye view.

Have been in the bell tower several times but the ship's view is a different perspective. I love seeing the Clock tower post repo...3 of my visits in the early 2000's it was under-construction.

Thanks so much again for posting.

Edited by land lover

You've asked for advice and for several reasons, I would choose a 12 night on Brilliance. I don't think anyone has mentioned the ships in that Brilliance has the most phenomenal outdoor aft eating area in the Windjammer. That's where we spent all of our evenings in the Med... having dinner in a different port each night, watching the sunset, it was absolutely glorious. On Vision, the WJ is up front (just noting the difference).

Brilliance is lovely ship with lots of windows and glass everywhere. It was truly special to cruise the Med on her. We have sailed Vision but that was well before her refurb.

Having said all of that, I do love a B2B. If you can get the same cabin it is truly special. That turnaround day is fun! And yes, you can leave the ship, as stated.

Let us know!

So what is was so special about sail away?

Hi L:)ri,

I remember u from the Xpedition boards, and glad to find out from your signature that u indeed took the second trip to Galapagos with your son/s.

Others have already answered "with proof" what's so special about the sail away from Venice. We took care to book a balcony on deck 8, PORT side especially for this, and as it was raining buckets, I'm glad we saw it from our balcony.

Enjoy your cruise !!!!

Quite frankly, a lot depends on you as both sets of ports are great.

If your goal is to experience as much as possible AND you don't tire easily or "melt" in the heat, the B2B would be a good choice.

However, if you enjoy sea days and/or want a break from constant touring, consider Option 1.

I would also consider the time of year you will be sailing. In mid-summer, all of the ports you mention will be hot and (for the most part) humid. Going out in that day after day will beat you down -- unless you're really used to it.

A number of years ago, we did a 12-day Baltics cruise, which was very port intensive. The ports were terrific but most passengers were exhausted by the end and thus (based on overheard conversations) didn't really enjoy the final couple of ports. Had the same thing happen to us on a 12-day river cruise -- we hit Basel the last day and had NO desire to see any of the city.

Finally, consider whether you are trying to do "too much" with the B2B. You want to enjoy/savor/remember each place. At some point, it can all become a blur. That said, only you know what is most important to you.

Finally, if you take the 12-day and want to "maximize" your time in Europe, consider adding a few days pre-or post-cruise.

Sail-in on Serenade

Sail-away the next day

WOWZA!!! Awesome pics there!!!

Quite frankly, a lot depends on you as both sets of ports are great.

If your goal is to experience as much as possible AND you don't tire easily or "melt" in the heat, the B2B would be a good choice.

However, if you enjoy sea days and/or want a break from constant touring, consider Option 1.

I would also consider the time of year you will be sailing. In mid-summer, all of the ports you mention will be hot and (for the most part) humid. Going out in that day after day will beat you down -- unless you're really used to it.

A number of years ago, we did a 12-day Baltics cruise, which was very port intensive. The ports were terrific but most passengers were exhausted by the end and thus (based on overheard conversations) didn't really enjoy the final couple of ports. Had the same thing happen to us on a 12-day river cruise -- we hit Basel the last day and had NO desire to see any of the city.

Finally, consider whether you are trying to do "too much" with the B2B. You want to enjoy/savor/remember each place. At some point, it can all become a blur. That said, only you know what is most important to you.

Finally, if you take the 12-day and want to "maximize" your time in Europe, consider adding a few days pre-or post-cruise.

Some excellent points there and I've been thinking about them. The good thing is that in May the weather seems to be more mild, not unlike our Canadian late spring (but of course heat waves are always possible).

What I keep going back to is that the 12 day is a Thursday to a Tuesday whereas the B2B's are Saturday to Saturday which makes it easier to take time off work.

My wife is leaning towards the 12 day but I'm still on the fence. I don't mind relaxing sea days and we usually do the specialty restaurants on those nights.

I'm the odd ball out...I think Option 1.

14 nights with only 3 sea days...and 1 embark/debark day...sounds exhausting. 12 nights with 4 sea days sounds like a much more enjoyable vacation over all.

I've never been on a Brilliance class ship, so I think I'd lean toward that ship over the Vision because that's the one class I haven't sailed or have a booked reservation for at this time.

I get the whole Venice as a port and being excited...but as I said...European cruises are TRAVEL...not relaxing...and the B2B would be too much for me.

Malaga and Barcelona were my first steps into Europe this past April. LOVED THEM.

This would be my pick as well. we did 5 ports in 7 days, with the sea days as bookends and w/o a break in-between and while it was fun, it was also very exhausting. 12 ports, in 14 days that includes a turn around day, it will be a very, very busy vacation.

I remember u from the Xpedition boards, and glad to find out from your signature that u indeed took the second trip to Galapagos with your son/s.

Others have already answered "with proof" what's so special about the sail away from Venice. We took care to book a balcony on deck 8, PORT side especially for this, and as it was raining buckets, I'm glad we saw it from our balcony.

Enjoy your cruise !!!!

Did you enjoy your X trip, I see you went in MAY 2012?

I suppose you could tell from my Avatar what my favorite marine animal is........on our second trip I got to swim with a marine iguana..and we got some incredible photos....Some day we may met.....maybe in Venice,

take care L:)ri

Edited by land lover

Some excellent points there and I've been thinking about them. The good thing is that in May the weather seems to be more mild, not unlike our Canadian late spring (but of course heat waves are always possible).

What I keep going back to is that the 12 day is a Thursday to a Tuesday whereas the B2B's are Saturday to Saturday which makes it easier to take time off work.

My wife is leaning towards the 12 day but I'm still on the fence. I don't mind relaxing sea days and we usually do the specialty restaurants on those nights.

I still vote for the B2B but I think many good points have been made for both itineraries.

I love port intensive...it gives me a taste to see if I want to come back on a land trip...

I also like SAT-SAT gives you Sunday to rest up... if you fly out on SAT.

On sea days you sea food and eat it on port days you walk the food off...

And Venice , Venice, Venice, if u have not been to Europe...a must!

Edited by land lover

I vote for the second option. We have done several sailings in the Med and love the ports on the second set of itineraries more than the first set. The ship doesn't matter so much because you will be busy spending all your time on shore exploring. You'll be eating and sleeping the rest of the time. Look at the times you are in port. Obviously, the longer in ports the more you can see. Both are great itineraries. You really can't go wrong.

I vote for the second option. We have done several sailings in the Med and love the ports on the second set of itineraries more than the first set. The ship doesn't matter so much because you will be busy spending all your time on shore exploring. You'll be eating and sleeping the rest of the time. Look at the times you are in port. Obviously, the longer in ports the more you can see. Both are great itineraries. You really can't go wrong.

I'm also for the second option. But you do have to look at the itinerary and the port times carefully. I agree that the ship isn't as important as the ports. I always choose my cruise for the itinerary more than the ship. You need about 10-12 hours in port to give you a full 8 hour day of touring. Private full day tours are 8 hours and if you're in port for 8 or 9 hours it doesn't give you enough time. Venice is spectacular from the ship and on land. Don't miss it. However, I cruised round trip from Barcelona on my first trip to Europe with one sea day. It's hard work but totally worth the experience.

Hey, Europe is beautiful. Just make sure your port times allow you enough time to see it.You will enjoy whichever option you choose.

Did you enjoy your X trip, I see you went in MAY 2012?

I suppose you could tell from my Avatar what my favorite marine animal is........on our second trip I got to swim with a marine iguana..and we got some incredible photos....Some day we may met.....maybe in Venice,

take care L:)ri

It was the best ever, especially North Seymour and Elizabeth Bay mangrove trip on Isabela. "Close encounter with a sea lion" -- amazing. I was very disappointed when X switched the itineraries, and I didn't get to Espanola, as I planned. Still dreaming to go back there, for another shot at ....

The marine iguanas were sooo cute, huffing, spitting and puffing :)

And, since we r on a thread about Venice, you can see from my avatar that's one of my favorite cities.

Dani[ela]

I would pick option two because of Kotor. It really is an amazing sail into the bay and the city and surrounding areas are nice. Venice was great as well.

It really depends on what you want. do you want to see a lot of ports or do you want to see a few places with more days of rest. I figure if you are over there then see as much as possible. The times you are going should be great for weather so you won't have to worry about it being too hot and zapping all of your energy.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the input. We've decided on option 1 (12 night on Brilliance) and have booked a balcony and are pretty excited about it. Now time to decide on flights and excursions.

Kinda worried about what time to catch a flight out of Barcelona as not so sure about weekday traffic there. 10:30am seems to be the norm.

Thanks to all for the input. We've decided on option 1 (12 night on Brilliance) and have booked a balcony and are pretty excited about it. Now time to decide on flights and excursions.

Kinda worried about what time to catch a flight out of Barcelona as not so sure about weekday traffic there. 10:30am seems to be the norm.

You can use this link to get the cruise line's recommendation:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=324&faqSubjectName=Air+Travel&faqId=2724